Top Ten Vanguard drumlines of all time

1984 - Gets my top spot mostly for having the most subtle drum solo ever, great stuff.

1991 - Wow, they really played the crap out of that show didn't they?

1981 - A great year for drumlines, a particularly great year for SCV with a great drumsolo to boot.

1992 - I think there are few out there that realize how remarkably talented these guys were, but just check out the I&E results if you're curious.

1974 - "Old School" defined.

1980 - Stoneground Seven. Nuff said.

1987 - Well written and well performed, again with a jammin and highly effective drumsolo.

2004 - Back in the drivers seat with Scheherezade, nicely done.

1993 - This line of rookies actually BEAT Star of Indiana in drums at finals prelims (becha didn't know that!). Lee Rudnicki really beat the odds here.

1988 - This is a gem of a line and a fantastic interpretation of Phantom as far as I'm concerned. Is that the first Vanguard line to play flam-drags? :doh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1992 had amazing, amazing players...but from what I remember they didn't play as a line all that great.

1991 was jaw-dropping good and a paradigm shift in what to expect from a drumline.

1997 was another year Vanguard shifted what kind of sounds/rudiments you'd hear out of a drumline. First time I heard them, I was like "What did they just play?"

Any list of this sort that doesn't even INCLUDE 1975 is invalid on its face. Are you kidding me?

1993 - This line of rookies actually BEAT Star of Indiana in drums at finals prelims (becha didn't know that!). Lee Rudnicki really beat the odds here.

:

DOH!! That I had not heard of till now...very cool. That is HUGE considering that '93 Star DL.

in no order, but 10

As a member of three of the OP's chosen lines ('88, '91, & '92), I feel honored to have been a part of Vanguard's tremendous percussion legacy. Aside from being ridiculously talented individuals, the percussionists of the Santa Clara Vanguard tend to be exceptional people as well. This was true with those I met who marched before me, those I marched with, and those who have marched since. While many other lines have enjoyed incredible success over the years, I can't think of a percussion program whose roots, tradition, and innovation run as deep as those of SCV.

Now a few reflections:

1988 - A very different line than anyone had ever seen at that time. Ralph's beats were all about expression that year. They complemented the music book perfectly, and the one thing that sticks with me to this day about that line is a quality of sound and touch on the instruments that was a refreshing change from the norm (thank you, Glen Crosby). And no, this was NOT the first SCV line to play flam drags! :D

1991 - Great line from top to bottom-no weaknesses. That show was the perfect fit for Scott's and Lee's writing (not to mention Scotty Sells' pit book as well) and for that particular line. We were described by a friend in BD's line that year as being "stupid good".

1992 - Make no mistake about it, this line was a friggin' juggernaut. 1991 was every bit as talented, but 1992 SCV had a swagger that can't be explained. This was one of our greatest strengths and was also our Achilles' heel. This line could play tickless at will but attitudes, immaturity, and stupidity often got the better of us. Check out Walter Powell's interview on snarescience.com - he makes reference to this. However, when this line was focused it was ridiculous. I asked Scott Johnson in 1992 who he felt had the best snare line ever. His answer: "SCV 1975, hands down...until this year. We might be there."

Great years...great times!

"Amen" to that.

'98 is easily one of my top 3 fav. drumlines EVER!!!! I remember them warming up in Ogden and I was totally salivating. What caught my attention was their tech. Huge heights. Monster sound.

I would put 1998 above most, if not all of those.
Edited by Alex M.