Hornlines without Euphs

Just from a historical perspective the first euphs used in corps was in the early 70's a G/F valve rotor by Whaley-Royce.

Mighty St. Joe's, CMCC Warriors used them and senior corps NY Skyliners entire bari line were these horns.

Correct! Sky used the W-R euphs starting in 1971. If I remember correctly, our bari line's biggest complaint with the Whaley Royce horns was the lack of engineering and thought as to how these monsters (or monstrosities, as the late Pat McCue referred to them) were to be comfortably held while playing. He vowed to one day find the 'rectal cavity' who designed them and make him carry one for a few hours before insisting they be re-designed. Pat, btw, was not your average horn player. He knew what he was talking about and he could make the horn sing! That's him triple tonguing the solo in "Comes Love" in '71.

Ray

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Olds made baritones and bass-baritones in the Ultratone and Ultratone II series. Pretty sure they didn't make a euph or VK would have field tested them.

I know Regiment had euphs in 1979. Before my lovely bride became a guard chick, she was a low-brass chick. She auditioned for the Regiment brass line in 79 at the ripe old age of 16. They handed her a euph, but the #### thing was almost a big as she was!

Garry in Vegas

Baritones do project better. Euphs provide that dark sound though. I like the 16 bari 8 euph scenario.. but for it to work you need some great players who can woof some sound out of those things.

Boston did have euphs this year... many times we were parked next to or near them, and many times I saw King euphs... very recognizable horn.

I feel like the best combination of baris/euphs in a blend sort of way are the Yamahas... I feel like the Yamaha baris have the darkest sound of all the baris out there... but they are POS horns... meaning they are a ##### to tune. The euphs are a little more decent tuning wise and playing wise... and these are a new model, not the prototype that were used by Crossmen some years ago. If you are going to go with a whole euph line... and not sacrifice volume, you want kings. I feel like the King euphs project the best out of any of them... and they play pretty darn good too, and I will never recommend a Dynasty horn to anyone... just not my horn, lol.

All of this is IMO.

I'll have more later if this topic continues.

I loved the G King Euphs back in the day except for those huge sluggish valves. On the upside, we didn't have to use the tuning slides at all. The baris were small bore (pee shooter size for us trombone players) and the euphs were large bore. I happily switched from lead to second part just to stay with a mouthpiece I was familiar with.

I've heard the same horror stories about the crappiness of the euphs since the switch to Bb but it sounds like the manufacturers have figured it out and the lines that use them have brought back the low brass presence that was missing after the switch. FYI, in '92 Star went with 12 euphs (2nd and 3rd parts) and 8 baris on lead. '93 we went with 10 and 10. I liked the 8 and 12 more for obvious reasons of bias :lol:

i'm not sure if it was the horns or not... but regiments horn line did not even come CLOSE to their GLORIOUS sound from years past. Still a good horn line, but a couple of big steps back from the sound they have been achieving... many things could factor in.... but I can't help but to blame the new horns.

I wish Phantom would go back to Kings...I wish Crown would go back to Kings for that matter...heck, everyone should be playing Kings :)

The King K90 was a mother to carry around but an awesome horn. (I know all of the DEG guys are laughing at me.) In all of my years with star, we went 8 baritones and 12 euphoniums. I think that was a huge factor in us having a unique sound. The new Bb Euphs by king are 4 or 5 pounds lighter than the old K90 model. I picked one up at Kings booth at finals and was shocked at how much lighter it was. I wonder if they get the same resonance as the old ones?

The King K90 was a mother to carry around but an awesome horn. (I know all of the DEG guys are laughing at me.) In all of my years with star, we went 8 baritones and 12 euphoniums. I think that was a huge factor in us having a unique sound. The new Bb Euphs by king are 4 or 5 pounds lighter than the old K90 model. I picked one up at Kings booth at finals and was shocked at how much lighter it was. I wonder if they get the same resonance as the old ones?

So the old euphs were 12-13 pounds? Somehow I doubt that.

The King K90 was a mother to carry around but an awesome horn. (I know all of the DEG guys are laughing at me.)

A friend of mine started playing euph, and at one point she mentioned something about the horn causing pain and soreness and fatigue, being that it's heavy and all.

I told her that the pain is simply the price we have to pay for getting to play such an awesome horn.

She's still laughing and cursing me for that one.

So the old euphs were 12-13 pounds? Somehow I doubt that.

The new King Euphonium is 7.5 Lbs without the mouthpiece. The King K80 was 10.8lbs w/o the mouthpiece. (Per the Conn - Selmer Website.) There is a noticable difference between the two horns. The Deg was even harder to carry because the weight was heavier than the King, but the valve position was further forward making it even harder on the arms, shoulders and back. It was a beast.

I actually enjoyed Crowns Low Brass section this year. From the sound of the judges tape, they did also. Although, I have never played the Yamaha horns, I hear good things from those who are playing them.