Hornlines without Euphs

Of the corps I saw, I only noticed Boston didn't have them and I'm curious as to why (hopefully by somebody who has an inside understanding). Not that their bari's didn't hold their own because they certainly did...

is it a sound they're going for? issue with the instrument company?

any other corps not use them?

I marched it back in my day, and it's one of those things where once you have it, you never want to go back...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the sound is so stuffy especially in the middle register and many are often badly tuned.

If it was up to me, everyone would be on Baritones. When I marched Crossmen, we had no Euphs and we still put out a good sound.

I'm pretty sure Boston did have euphoniums in their line this year. And I agree, it's one of those things that I would never trade back. That is, unless I switch to the lead part.

Because the sound is so stuffy especially in the middle register and many are often badly tuned.

If it was up to me, everyone would be on Baritones. When I marched Crossmen, we had no Euphs and we still put out a good sound.

Which euphs have you played? The Dynasty and the Jupiter aren't stuffy at all, at any register.

OK but that wouldn't explain nearly ALL WC corps using euphs ... not all are bad (prototypes will be, if you're referring to the Yamaha in your time)

Yeah, BD 2009 Euphs sure had a stuffy sound, and played out of tuned quite often. </sarcasm>

The choice comes down to this:

1) The sound of the music in the arranger's ears

2) Financial willingness of the organization to go with Euphs

3) Finding enough members willing to play them

Obviously, with Blue Devils (all Euphs in 2009), Wayne thought he liked the sound better for this show. The corps can certainly afford them, and they have enough people willing to play them.

A corps that doesn't make finals as often, probably doesn't have the artistic vision, nor the financial resources, nor enough players willing to play them.

Personally I prefer corps sounds that use both, closer to half-and-half (Crown?), but corps like SCV and Bluecoats use 16 baris and 8 Euphs. SCV Has always been a Bari/Euph corps with Euphs playing a "3rd bari" role. Bluecoats use the same setup, but often give the Euphs the melody independently of the the baritones.

I never liked the all-bari sound, ever, even when Cavies used to win with it. (Maybe they still do, and explains why I haven't liked them in the last 3 years)

Did I say all euphs? No.

Just checking.

The Yamaha protypes that I got a chance to play my last day as a Crossmen, yes...they were awful.

And I'm not a fan of Dynasty in general.

I'm sure advancements have been made since then, but I can't stand the marching Euph sound at all.

That's just my opinion.

I like the all Euph sound or the bari/euph mix, but the euphs gotta be there, they just have that extra something in the lower register that really rounds out the overall hornline balance.

Hornlines without Euphs, why?

Because some people enjoy BLASPHEMY!

:thumbup:

I marched bari for four years, and euph for the last two. . . I like the euph sound in the low register and I think it's a good voice to link the tubas and baritones together. . . but I can certainly understand why a corps would marching without euphs (I know SCV used to, back in the day). . . the baris project a lot more, at least to my ear, and sometimes the euphs get a little woofy at big dynamics.

That said, euph is infinitely more manly than baritone (and any other horn in the drum corps), so they should definitely be kept around. Surprised to see BD with all euphs this year. Did that happen last year and I just missed it, or was this year the first one?

Edited by TSRTS13