Cavalier Brass Ideology

I prefer the cleaner and control sound of The Cavaliers more than Crown... (please don't shoot me)

The edge on Crown's sound is too much, they still play great. I say that The Cavaliers should keep doing what they do!

first its phantom, now crown..... Some edge is good depending on the rep. Listen to CSO and then tell me they don't play to the edge, but nobody has the cajones to tell them THEY play too edgy.

I'm really over cavaliers saying other corps play badly, and the same of other corps saying that about the cavaliers

it's all about taste, none of the top corps plays badly, which I realize you didn't say they play badly, I'm talking about other people, especially those who marched in these corps and just regurgitate things they hear their staff and fellow corpsmates say about it without having a mind of their own.

I personally, am not moved by cavaliers brass pedagogy unles I'm sitting on the front row... but I will never say it's bad. They do what they do, and they do it well, and that's something that makes them unique. And even though I don't like it , I hope they don't change, because it is THEM.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed.

I'm sorry, have you ever been a Cavalier or gone to a camp? At least I've been at a couple to be taught by them so I think I have an idea about what they teach.

I for one am glad the banner or poster has some different faces on it. And, I can safely say that all 4 of the corps mentioned above removed layers or my entire face at one point or another over the past 4 years. Cavies have not and haven't since 1987. The boys play pretty donuts and have ingenious show design to make up for their decided approach to brass. Kudo's to them, but it's not for me..... and many many more like me.

And there are many many more like me that enjoy their brass sound as well as the vastly superior visual program they put on from 2000-2006, though it's been lacking the last few years.

And there are many many more like me that enjoy their brass sound as well as the vastly superior visual program they put on from 2000-2006, though it's been lacking the last few years.

Their sound and what they play are two different subjects. I guess I shouldn't have mixed the two, but I feel they go hand in hand. I said they sound pretty ... but what they play is contrived and hosed. Has been for nearly 2 decades with rare exception.

Crown plays with edge?

The only edge that Crown played with this year was in St. Michael the Archangel, which is a brass heavy orchestral piece, and it CALLS for edge.

And I love the Cavaliers' sound...they play so well in tune, and they sound so fantastic.

I wouldn't ever compare the sound that Crown and the Cavaliers get to the sounds that Phantom, BD, and The Cadets get. Not that one is better than the other, but Crown and the Cavaliers have much different sounds than the other 3.

I'm really over cavaliers saying other corps play badly, and the same of other corps saying that about the cavaliers

The Cavaliers dont say "other corps play badly." Im sure they dont care what other corps sound like.

People who hear the Cavaliers say other corps sound bad after they hear the great intonation and tuning of them.

They were loud, they just didnt have edge.

The boys play pretty donuts and have ingenious show design to make up for their decided approach to brass. Kudo's to them, but it's not for me..... and many many more like me.

They do play donuts, and they also play technical parts too (just relisten to 2000-2008, its pretty technical), just listen closer. How about that brass feature (the guard guy was climbing the trumpets).

Most shows end with donuts and standing ovations, yes?

They do play donuts, and they also play technical parts too (just relisten to 2000-2008, its pretty technical), just listen closer. How about that brass feature (the guard guy was climbing the trumpets).

Most shows end with donuts and standing ovations, yes?

It's funny how arguing Cavies brass book always ends with someone asking me to find the 30 seconds of technical playing while standing still. I'd rather look for the 30 seconds with melody being played musically. Go back and listen to 87 Cavies and then tell me how that book compares to the books they play today. Donuts at the end of a show for a standing O is far different from 9 minutes of donuts.

And with that .... I refuse to post on this subject any longer.

It's funny how arguing Cavies brass book always ends with someone asking me to find the 30 seconds of technical playing while standing still. I'd rather look for the 30 seconds with melody being played musically. Go back and listen to 87 Cavies and then tell me how that book compares to the books they play today. Donuts at the end of a show for a standing O is far different from 9 minutes of donuts.

And with that .... I refuse to post on this subject any longer.

Look at anyone from the 80s. A lot of their parts are more technical.

Look at everyone who placed 1-last in open class, 11 minutes of melody.

Edited by TheClutch

.......How about that brass feature (the guard guy was climbing the trumpets).

But those guys weren't playing when they were being climbed. I can fully appreciate the sound that Cavies have, however it is a very safe sound. Its very pretty. But its also pretty bland. It rarely excites me.

That said, most orchestral brass play with edge when required. I remember seeing Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra astound me with the edge that the brass section had in a performance of Brahms 1st back in the 60s. You want edge, go see Wagner's Ring Cycle at the Metropolitan Opera some time. The Met orchestra has become one of the greatest orchestras in the world. And during many sections of the Ring Cycle, including Seigfried's Rhine Journey, Siegfried's Funeral March, and the Immolation scene, the Met's brass section will peel your face. BTW, one of the Met's trumpets was in PR.