Cavalier Brass Ideology

I always look forward to hearing the quality of their sound. I have my complaints about their book, and their volume, but I love their sound.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But those guys weren't playing when they were being climbed. I can fully appreciate the sound that Cavies have, however it is a very safe sound. Its very pretty. But its also pretty bland. It rarely excites me.

That said, most orchestral brass play with edge when required. I remember seeing Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra astound me with the edge that the brass section had in a performance of Brahms 1st back in the 60s. You want edge, go see Wagner's Ring Cycle at the Metropolitan Opera some time. The Met orchestra has become one of the greatest orchestras in the world. And during many sections of the Ring Cycle, including Seigfried's Rhine Journey, Siegfried's Funeral March, and the Immolation scene, the Met's brass section will peel your face. BTW, one of the Met's trumpets was in PR.

Absolutely! The CSO brass section is another one that can peel some paint when they want to. I love their recording of Levine conducting New World Symphony for just that reason.

But certainly there is a line there where you cross from "edgy" into "harsh". A great drum corps horn line should still always stay on the correct side of that line. Crown did a great job this year of getting a glorious brass sound without crossing the line. I love the intonation and tone quality of the Cavies' lines this decade, but I agree with you that they've rarely excited me with their playing.

Absolutely! The CSO brass section is another one that can peel some paint when they want to. I love their recording of Levine conducting New World Symphony for just that reason.

But certainly there is a line there where you cross from "edgy" into "harsh". A great drum corps horn line should still always stay on the correct side of that line. Crown did a great job this year of getting a glorious brass sound without crossing the line. I love the intonation and tone quality of the Cavies' lines this decade, but I agree with you that they've rarely excited me with their playing.

I thought bluecoats also did a great job of this. I loved their hornbook

The Cavaliers dont say "other corps play badly." Im sure they dont care what other corps sound like.

People who hear the Cavaliers say other corps sound bad after they hear the great intonation and tuning of them.

They were loud, they just didnt have edge.

really? the ones I work with sure like to tell students that they do.

and the ones I went to school with did as well...

not just the cavaliers, most top corps seem to many reasons why the other top hornlines are no good... it's all really lame is what I was trying to say

im confused by the donut thing....

andy btw, cavaliers go for the texas wind ensemble type sound, which never gets edgy...which is why they don't reach that point. and there is nothing wrong with that pedagogy... I just prefer something else when I'm sitting on the upper levels of a football stadium

Since you're comparing .... Crown has a "traditional" drum corps sound. It's exciting and entertaining.

Cavies have a controlled indoor type of sound (like a concert band). Different approaches, different results. Cavies will continue to draw certain types of players but I'm not sure they're getting everything could out of the activity.

I have a firm opinion that Cavies book and technique lends itself to the collegiate expectations of sound reproduction. They were excellent ambassadors for DCI within the College ranks for most of the decade. The corps was rewarded with several championships ... making them the poster child to the world with the subtitle: "See, drum corps isn't bad for you chops and we know how to teach great brass technique". In doing so, they shaped the idiom for a few years. Now the scales have tipped and the fan$ of DRUM CORPS are getting what they asked for from corps like Crown, Phantom, SCV and HNC.

I for one am glad the banner or poster has some different faces on it. And, I can safely say that all 4 of the corps mentioned above removed layers or my entire face at one point or another over the past 4 years. Cavies have not and haven't since 1987. The boys play pretty donuts and have ingenious show design to make up for their decided approach to brass. Kudo's to them, but it's not for me..... and many many more like me.

The park and bark portion in their Spin Cycle show was pretty freaking loud. I agree that in general they play at a softer maximum volume than most other corps, but that part ripped my freaking face off!

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating topics,

I've put thought into this as well. I'm convinced that The Cavies turn the hornline's volume knob down to A) help the percussionists ennunciate all of the different sounds and B) to create more of a colorful and intricate show.

(a very much shortened version of an otherwise boring paragraph) IMO, The Cavies use their horns more as tools while other ensembles use their hornlines as weapons.

Maybe it was just me and my friends, but I thought cavies had a lot of intonation issues at least at finals. I don't know they haven't done anything for me brass wise. Their shows are always naptime for me. I never feel emotion or performing coming off the field.