Cavalier Brass Ideology

It's no secret that the cavies have a different approach to their sound. It really stuck out to me at finals. It almost seems like they never play above mf. Even with a decent sized hornline and 16 Contras (:D!!) their amount of sound was still miles below the top 5. This has to be on purpose.

So, is there anyone, Ex cavie or not, who can elaborate on what their brass theory is?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they take a very wind ensemble-esque approach to brass playing.

From what I've heard, the Cavies just do their own thing and don't really care about what the rest of the drum corps world does. It seems to work for them.

I know they take a very wind ensemble-esque Texas High School Band approach to brass playing.

Fixed.

I prefer the cleaner and control sound of The Cavaliers more than Crown... (please don't shoot me)

The edge on Crown's sound is too much, they still play great. I say that The Cavaliers should keep doing what they do!

Cavies have a wonderful brass sound. I'd like to hear a bit more volume sometimes, but I'll take it over loud with a sound like trash cans banging together (like a lot of corps) anyday.

Trash cans? Really? Who sounds like that?

I've always liked Cavies brass sound. Doesn't seem like they want or need to be like anyone else. Hope they continue what they do.

It's no secret that the cavies have a different approach to their sound. It really stuck out to me at finals. It almost seems like they never play above mf. Even with a decent sized hornline and 16 Contras (:D!!) their amount of sound was still miles below the top 5. This has to be on purpose.

So, is there anyone, Ex cavie or not, who can elaborate on what their brass theory is?

They basically concentrate more on intonation... and also matching quality of sound and tones top to bottom. I believe they play concert F a lot. If you can't play a concert F in tune and together... they believe you cannot do much else.

Someone correct me if im totally wrong.

I prefer the cleaner and control sound of The Cavaliers more than Crown... (please don't shoot me)

The edge on Crown's sound is too much, they still play great. I say that The Cavaliers should keep doing what they do!

Since you're comparing .... Crown has a "traditional" drum corps sound. It's exciting and entertaining.

Cavies have a controlled indoor type of sound (like a concert band). Different approaches, different results. Cavies will continue to draw certain types of players but I'm not sure they're getting everything could out of the activity.

I have a firm opinion that Cavies book and technique lends itself to the collegiate expectations of sound reproduction. They were excellent ambassadors for DCI within the College ranks for most of the decade. The corps was rewarded with several championships ... making them the poster child to the world with the subtitle: "See, drum corps isn't bad for you chops and we know how to teach great brass technique". In doing so, they shaped the idiom for a few years. Now the scales have tipped and the fan$ of DRUM CORPS are getting what they asked for from corps like Crown, Phantom, SCV and HNC.

I for one am glad the banner or poster has some different faces on it. And, I can safely say that all 4 of the corps mentioned above removed layers or my entire face at one point or another over the past 4 years. Cavies have not and haven't since 1987. The boys play pretty donuts and have ingenious show design to make up for their decided approach to brass. Kudo's to them, but it's not for me..... and many many more like me.