Are the World Championships real?

Maybe it's World Champion because the members aren't necessarily from the States? Just an idea.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's World Champion because the members aren't necessarily from the States? Just an idea.

Just because they're from other countries means that they are world champions no world champions means that they're in competitions with corps who are from other countries.

Just because they're from other countries means that they are world champions no world champions means that they're in competitions with corps who are from other countries.

True. I guess my only other guess is because we have corps from Canada and occasionally other countries compete. Thus officially it is no longer a "national" title...

True. I guess my only other guess is because we have corps from Canada and occasionally other countries compete. Thus officially it is no longer a "national" title...

But those corps are in open class so I think open should be considered world champion and world class be considered national champion

Maybe foreign countries' seasons don't match up? (our summer is a different month from Japan and Europe's?)

Actually all three of our areas are in the same hemisphere, so we have the same seasons. It just costs a lot of money to transport a corps across an ocean.

Name me any corps from outside North America that could legitimately compete with Cadets, BD, or Crown.

Name me any non US corps that has even come close to making finals in World Class (admittedly, back when there WERE non-US corps in World). Dutch Boy was the last in 1990. Don't remember how well non-US has been in Open.

Only the Japanese would really come close, but their season is way off calendar from ours...so we might never know.

Fact is, with VERY few exceptions, only the US has the educational system that produces marching members...so naturally, we're going to have the best corps.

However, I would love to see a foriegn corps make a run....Inspires never failed to light it up when they came to DCA.

Try to follow along:

• There are 22 World Class corps and the Blue Devils are champions of the World Class so thus they are World Champions.
  • Other groups from around the world can come and compete for the World Championships. (But, first, they would have to qualify as World Class corps.)
  • The Blue Devils are the 2009 World Champions until someone else in the world comes and proves them wrong.

Name me any corps from outside North America that could legitimately compete with Cadets, BD, or Crown.

Name me any non US corps that has even come close to making finals in World Class (admittedly, back when there WERE non-US corps in World). Dutch Boy was the last in 1990. Don't remember how well non-US has been in Open.

Only the Japanese would really come close, but their season is way off calendar from ours...so we might never know.

Fact is, with VERY few exceptions, only the US has the educational system that produces marching members...so naturally, we're going to have the best corps.

However, I would love to see a foriegn corps make a run....Inspires never failed to light it up when they came to DCA.

This.

Also as I'm sure 84BDsop knows from his Dagenham experience( I marched '81-'88 in th UK), Drum Corps in the UK was a weekend activity for the most part and although it might have felt intense to us Brits back in the day, the reality of a "moving in day" followed by 12 weeks of 10/12/14 hour days(insert own applicable number) was never a go-er. The average age of many corps was under 15, size wise even today the corps are relatively small and the infrastructure of drum corps in Europe is not designed for the "World Class" dci competitor.

Now if a one off supercorps from the best parts of the top European corps of today could be put together for a season, puting rivalries to one side, and a full tour undertaken it may be more competative but I still doubt it could compete for even a semi-finals place given the huge experience and expertise of the professional instructors of world class corps and the talent levels of their members

Edited by Scottishfan

A thought just came to mind. DCI is Drum Corps International, the World Championships are held in the USA. Where is the international representation? I know that some US corps have members from foreign countries, but no championship corps from Europe, Asia or Africa. Why is this?

DCI has had visiting/competing corps from Japan and Europe, and there used to be several Canadian competitors (including some Canadian world class finalists)....................I don't think there is anything wrong with calling the DCI champion a world champion........we call our NBA basketball champion a "world Champion", but they do not play international teams in the playoffs........however, until other corps from other places in the world can lay down a challenge, I do not see a problem with it, and they can come here and compete...........I think there is potential in the orient..............

GB