Are the World Championships real?

I really need to watch the news more often. I was unaware Toronto had been annexed by the U.S.

I thought a UK corps was coming over to compete at DCA this year as well.

Does the age rule apply to non-DCI corps for those corps to compete for WC/OC titles? From what I have seen, most European corps seem to be all-age (except DCE cadet class). I assumed the same was true for Japanese corps.

International Corps can compete with over-age members, they can even get the highest score, get first place, but the title of Open or World Class Champion will go to the best corps who follows the DCI rules, and the international corps will be named International Class Champion, which Beatrix' also was crowned last year. The best international corps in DCI will get this trophy, if they manage to compete in finals. Because it would be strange to crown someone who doesn't compete in finals.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not every week . . . but often enough that it makes me not want to be caught under an overpass during rush-hour traffic (which, in Montreal, is nearly 24-7).

Interesting, I have never seen 24-7 rush hour traffic in Montreal, and I live here. It's more like, week days from 7 to 9 am and 4 to 6 pm.

Anyhow... the rest is just a matter of being paranoid or not. lol

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

Interesting, I have never seen 24-7 rush hour traffic in Montreal, and I live here. It's more like, week days from 7 to 9 am and 4 to 6 pm.

Well, I'll put it this way: Hubby and his co-workers have had to drive through there a fair bit on business, and it seems like they always run into a four-lane parking lot at some point. Could just be they're unlucky in the time of day they hit, of course. Same story for T.O.

FYI, I believe International corps are allowed to compete in Open Class if they follow DCI rules. Cost is prohibitive of course.

Drum Corps International just sounds cooler than Drum Corps USA, Drum Corps National, or Drum Corps North America.

It will probably get changed to "Marching Music International" if the powers-that-be have their way, as they've been looking to re-brand the activity as anything other that what it is/was for about the last two decades.

"A rose by any other name means you can't charge full retail."

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I have the same problem with the International House of Pancakes. There is nothing international about it. The same can be said about Waffle House. It is not a house made of waffles.

1400 locations in 50 states, Canada and Mexico. Franchise locations are available anywhere throughout the world. So technically ...yes, it is "International"

FYI, I believe International corps are allowed to compete in Open Class if they follow DCI rules. Cost is prohibitive of course.

This thread was started regarding "World Class" Corps. There is obviously a lot of different ideas regarding this topic and it has been a fun discussion. Thanks everyone for chiming in. As in all things drum corps, different people see tje same thing a different way. Glad we have a diverse group of drum corps fans. In closing, for my part, those of you that say it truly is an international competition have not convinced me but the exchange of ideas was fun.

If you look at the membership of many corps, it definitely IS international....lots of overseas members...and it's nothing new. I forget what year BAC's entire cymbal line was from the UK (were the from the same UK corps?).

BD had UK members in 83 (top bass) and 85 (soprano)....and ironically, both of those guys were on Dagenham's staff when I marched over there!

This reminds me of the Miss World vs Miss Universe argument. Now, Miss World has contestants from all over Planet Earth. Miss Universe has contstants from all over...Planet Earth? Wait a minute! Where are the contestants from other planets, galaxies, nebulas? And if there were contestants from other planets, would there only be one from Earth? And who would that be? Miss Earth?

What?!?!? Another pageant?!?!?

:blink:

I don't get it.

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

This thread was started regarding "World Class" Corps. There is obviously a lot of different ideas regarding this topic and it has been a fun discussion. Thanks everyone for chiming in. As in all things drum corps, different people see tje same thing a different way. Glad we have a diverse group of drum corps fans. In closing, for my part, those of you that say it truly is an international competition have not convinced me but the exchange of ideas was fun.

Well, Open class does fall under the DCI umbrella, so you have to consider both classifications in this type of discussion. The organization does include corps from outside the USA. That, alone, makes it international, period.

It it not the same thing as being all inclusive. The end of the season crowns the DCI World Champion...not the World Champion of All Marching Activities.