Secaucus NJ Review?

So.....any takers on this one???

Particularly interested in what you thought about the West Sayville Golden Eagles Mini Corps!

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard you blastin some :thumbup: high notes while we (The Brassmen) were changin back into our civies in the parking lot.

So.....any takers on this one???

Particularly interested in what you thought about the West Sayville Golden Eagles Mini Corps!

Thanks in advance.

Frank I told you what I thought last night.. Very professional.... Very well done.. Audience ate it up.. I would say you are peaking at the right time.. Good Luck in Rochester.....

How about a review of the competing corps.

Frank I told you what I thought last night.. Very professional.... Very well done.. Audience ate it up.. I would say you are peaking at the right time.. Good Luck in Rochester.....

I was getting changed in the parking lot and I heard your show from the backfield.Liked the music and you sounded great.Wish I would have been in front.I know most of your members and they are all solid horn players with a ton of drum corps experience.Wish you all the best in Rochester.

Billy Di Paolo

St Joe Patron Cadets feeder corps 1964-65

St Joe Patron Sea Cadets 1966-72

Long Island Sunrisers 1972-73-74-75-76-77-78-80-2007

St Ritas Brassmen Alumni corps 2007-08-09-------

Sunriser HoF 2005

DCA champion 1977,1978,and 2007 Class A champion

I'll take a stab at it. Keep in mind, I was not "on duty" last night, so I wasn't taking any notes. Plus, I was minding the baby and had to keep moving around, but I think I got a pretty good read on everybody. And I'll admit in advance that I was paying particularly close attention to the Sunrisers. The crowd was a little thin, although weather earlier in the day had been threatening. I didn't even decide to go to the show until around 4:00-4:30. Let's go in order of appearance, shall we?

Sunrisers - This was my first time seeing them this year. I have to admit that it felt really good to see that uniform marching towards the stadium when I got there. I'll be blunt... it's rough. I give major props to the dozen horns that are taking the field this year, especially since the only returning vet in the entire corps was the guy who was by my side the two years I spent with the corps. Visually, I could kind of get the picture. The drill is a little sketchy because I understand there are about 8-10 holes in the hornline. They have done a good job of trying to close gaps so the forms can be read, but with so many holes, the mall hornline looks like it is spread especially thin. I had heard that the pit was the last section to really get going, but I thought they had their act together and contributed very well. The drumline, although small, shows potential. There are some talented individuals in the line, but they haven't quite achieved a solid ensemble approach just yet. If thy stick together and continue to grow, they could be quite formidable. I don't know how to say this nicely, but I could not read a single thing the hornline played in the entire show. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it sounded like 12 people playing 12 different shows. I think the scoring may have been a little too intricate for the membership to handle, but i can't say that for certain. The colorguard was the largest and easily strongest section of the corps. The uniforms look fantastic and the colors in the silks are just plain gorgeous. I couldn't help but feel a bit let down from time-to-time though, as I didn't feel like they were "performing" so much as just "going through the motions." Anyways... that's just my honest impressions of the corps' performance last night.

Fusion Core - Is on a mission this year. The hornline displays serious control and articulation. Soloists had a great night as well. The drumline has improved significantly since I saw them in the Spring and are starting to come along nicely. They will also likely have one of the better guards in Class A this year. I hope I get to see them again. I had a hard time getting over their take on Disney's Millenium Celebration. On one hand, I'm glad it's not a direct watered-down version of the Cadets 2000 show, however from time-to-time, I expected to hear a certain melody or phrase and got something different instead. Not a negative or anything, just messed with my head a little bit. Everyone knows that the Class A Championship is going to be an all-out brawl, but Fusion looks primed for the fight this year.

Side note: hoping the member who took a spill last night is okay. She got up and finished the show, but it looked like a bad ankle twist and a hard fall.

Bushwackers - Keep getting better and better each and every time I see them. Their pre-show show really sets the stage for the program to come. Hi-jinx in the endzone, jugglers, elephants and high-wire routines abound as the corps takes the field. Many of the visual problems I wrote about earlier in the season are a thing of the past. Marching looks better all-around and the corps is starting to add subtle visual nuances to enhance the program. What's more, the hornline is starting to play at August form. For a corps that was in danger of being on the Finalist bubble, this group may shock someone before the season is over.

Cabs - Also on a mission. Determined to prove they are not content to be top 5, these Cabs are bringing the heat to prove why they should be "top dog." I am really impressed with the raw intensity that the Cabs are playing with this year. They have a fire in their bellies and are hungry. One way or another, they're going to be right there come Finals night.

Brassmen - Are always showmen when it comes to demonstrating what "old-school" drum corps is all about. They have a distinctive sound often referred to as "power playing", the art of loud without crassness. I always love seeing these guys, especially what they can do with limited numbers. It's just fantastic.

Golden Eagles - Look like they're ready for DCA if it were tomorrow. I love their selections. Fans are especially going to love The Prayer. These guys are going to make the minicorps championships in two weeks more than worth the price of admission. (I know it's free, guys... it's a figure of speech.)

Latin Express - This was the first time I've ever had the opportunity to see these guys. I have to admit, I was a little surprised when they kicked off with a Blues Brothers tune, but it was done very well and got my attention. Then they launched into more of what I was expecting. A real rich ensemble brass sound from this group. I kind of understand now why this minicorps doesn't compete. They are more for entertainment and playing together than going after scores. You could just feel a little different dynamic between the two minicorps at the show tonight.

Anyways... that's all I really have to say about that.

Golden Eagles - Look like they're ready for DCA if it were tomorrow. I love their selections. Fans are especially going to love The Prayer. These guys are going to make the minicorps championships in two weeks more than worth the price of admission. (I know it's free, guys... it's a figure of speech.)

Thanks SO much for your kind words Sayre. The Golden Eagles were honored to be part of this show, and get out in front of a DCA crowd before the Mini Corps Champonships in Rochester in 2 weeks. The corps has been working especially hard in the "performance" aspect of our show, and I am happy that things are starting to gel enough where people are saying we are championship ready!

Thanks again Sayre for "taking a stab" at this review!!!! :blink:

Edited by FPonzo

Thanks for the review Sayre. It's no secret that Class A is very exciting this year and all of us are working really hard. The one thing I'd like to comment on is the commorodery between the Directors of the corps. I know I've been in contact with a few of the Directors and admin of the corps this year and it's been great. We try to help each other out when needed and we give each other props as we take our turn in the #1 position. It's a great example of what the entire activity should be about.

I also was happy to meet the newest member of your family. I wonder how long it will be before she starts out in Drum corps!! She's a real QT!!! God Bless your family!!

Great job on the reviews Sayre. There really aren't many reviews out there this year at all so it's very appreciated when there is one.

I'll take a stab at it. Keep in mind, I was not "on duty" last night, so I wasn't taking any notes. Plus, I was minding the baby and had to keep moving around, but I think I got a pretty good read on everybody. And I'll admit in advance that I was paying particularly close attention to the Sunrisers. The crowd was a little thin, although weather earlier in the day had been threatening. I didn't even decide to go to the show until around 4:00-4:30. Let's go in order of appearance, shall we?

Sunrisers - This was my first time seeing them this year. I have to admit that it felt really good to see that uniform marching towards the stadium when I got there. I'll be blunt... it's rough. I give major props to the dozen horns that are taking the field this year, especially since the only returning vet in the entire corps was the guy who was by my side the two years I spent with the corps. Visually, I could kind of get the picture. The drill is a little sketchy because I understand there are about 8-10 holes in the hornline. They have done a good job of trying to close gaps so the forms can be read, but with so many holes, the mall hornline looks like it is spread especially thin. I had heard that the pit was the last section to really get going, but I thought they had their act together and contributed very well. The drumline, although small, shows potential. There are some talented individuals in the line, but they haven't quite achieved a solid ensemble approach just yet. If thy stick together and continue to grow, they could be quite formidable. I don't know how to say this nicely, but I could not read a single thing the hornline played in the entire show. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it sounded like 12 people playing 12 different shows. I think the scoring may have been a little too intricate for the membership to handle, but i can't say that for certain. The colorguard was the largest and easily strongest section of the corps. The uniforms look fantastic and the colors in the silks are just plain gorgeous. I couldn't help but feel a bit let down from time-to-time though, as I didn't feel like they were "performing" so much as just "going through the motions." Anyways... that's just my honest impressions of the corps' performance last night.

Fusion Core - Is on a mission this year. The hornline displays serious control and articulation. Soloists had a great night as well. The drumline has improved significantly since I saw them in the Spring and are starting to come along nicely. They will also likely have one of the better guards in Class A this year. I hope I get to see them again. I had a hard time getting over their take on Disney's Millenium Celebration. On one hand, I'm glad it's not a direct watered-down version of the Cadets 2000 show, however from time-to-time, I expected to hear a certain melody or phrase and got something different instead. Not a negative or anything, just messed with my head a little bit. Everyone knows that the Class A Championship is going to be an all-out brawl, but Fusion looks primed for the fight this year.

Side note: hoping the member who took a spill last night is okay. She got up and finished the show, but it looked like a bad ankle twist and a hard fall.

Bushwackers - Keep getting better and better each and every time I see them. Their pre-show show really sets the stage for the program to come. Hi-jinx in the endzone, jugglers, elephants and high-wire routines abound as the corps takes the field. Many of the visual problems I wrote about earlier in the season are a thing of the past. Marching looks better all-around and the corps is starting to add subtle visual nuances to enhance the program. What's more, the hornline is starting to play at August form. For a corps that was in danger of being on the Finalist bubble, this group may shock someone before the season is over.

Cabs - Also on a mission. Determined to prove they are not content to be top 5, these Cabs are bringing the heat to prove why they should be "top dog." I am really impressed with the raw intensity that the Cabs are playing with this year. They have a fire in their bellies and are hungry. One way or another, they're going to be right there come Finals night.

Brassmen - Are always showmen when it comes to demonstrating what "old-school" drum corps is all about. They have a distinctive sound often referred to as "power playing", the art of loud without crassness. I always love seeing these guys, especially what they can do with limited numbers. It's just fantastic.

Latin Express - This was the first time I've ever had the opportunity to see these guys. I have to admit, I was a little surprised when they kicked off with a Blues Brothers tune, but it was done very well and got my attention. Then they launched into more of what I was expecting. A real rich ensemble brass sound from this group. I kind of understand now why this minicorps doesn't compete. They are more for entertainment and playing together than going after scores. You could just feel a little different dynamic between the two minicorps at the show tonight.

Anyways... that's all I really have to say about that.

Thanks for the review Sayre!

Also props go out to Mike "Doc" Risley who marched in the Caballeros, Golden Eagles, and Latin Express last night all at the age of... well let's just say he's been around for a while :blink: