What happened to matched grip?

Gaddabout

So traditional grip left hand usually requires some extra sweating because you end up training muscles to move in a way they've never moved before.
If the left hand wasn't supposed to rotate like it does in traditional grip, why are there muscles allowing it to? Just pointing out a flaw in your reasoning.
I never said the left hand wasn't *supposed* to rotate like that, I said the muscle development isn't there the way it is for matched.
I'm not putting words in your mouth.

I'm afraid you did put words in his mouth, or completely misunderstood the post. You added the words "supposed" and "allowed", not him.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The choice of grip is purely aesthetic.

I prefer matched grip, both aesthetically and for instructional purposes.

Had a kid show up to a rehearsal, he was center snare at his high school. Really sloppy left hand. I had him switch to matched grip and instantly his playing improved dramatically. Far too many schools have directors who are horn players and don't know squat about percussion, so the instruction these kids get is horrid--particularly when dealing with the left hand in traditional grip. I don't have time to straighten out the messes and build that left hand in traditional grip when a switch to matched obviates the need and looks better.

The only time I've taught traditional grip was for use with a period reenactment group. We were strapping on side drums and traditional grip was required to play them. In that situation, one has to take the time to clean up left hand messes.

...because that's the most natural way for the muscles to work with the hands..

Not coming down on either side of the discussion as to which is "better," easier to teach, or whatever - but I'll take issue with you on that point. The left hand traditional motion is basically a simple rotation of the forearm - the motion people everywhere use every time they turn a doorknob. That's a bit of a simplifcation, of course; issues of finger position and strength come in to play and add to the complexity of the grip, and things become further involved when you raise the forearm for greater height of rise. But as far as the basic wrist turn, it's really more natural than trying to get the stick to travel up and down on straight plane using matched, which seems simple but really involves a lot of subtle twisting and positioning of the wrist and forearm.

There are great players in both styles, of course. It takes time, and effort and talent either way!

just my $.02 - peace,

Fred O.

Not coming down on either side of the discussion as to which is "better," easier to teach, or whatever - but I'll take issue with you on that point. The left hand traditional motion is basically a simple rotation of the forearm - the motion people everywhere use every time they turn a doorknob. That's a bit of a simplifcation, of course; issues of finger position and strength come in to play and add to the complexity of the grip, and things become further involved when you raise the forearm for greater height of rise. But as far as the basic wrist turn, it's really more natural than trying to get the stick to travel up and down on straight plane using matched, which seems simple but really involves a lot of subtle twisting and positioning of the wrist and forearm.

There are great players in both styles, of course. It takes time, and effort and talent either way!

just my $.02 - peace,

Fred O.

Then why not use an underhand grip on the left AND right hand?

All snare drummers that play traditional grip should be left handed (just kidding). The reason I say that is because I'm left handed and could slam out sixteenth notes at 150 BPM without breaking a sweat. It was my right hand that was KILLING me. :worthy:

Historically, a number of key corps switched to matched grip b/c studies of the day seemed to suggest more potential for matched grip. This may or may not be true by today's standards of science. But for that blip in time during the late 70 and early 80s alot of excellent lines were using matched grip with great success. Ultimately, I think the switch back to universal traditional grip was basically because it looks good in the opinion of most drummers, and also I seem to remember that some matched lines felt that they were being penalized by judges who favored traditional grip.

The choice of grip is purely aesthetic.

Not entirely.

For example, there are certain stick on stick on head rebound patterns which are very natural to play trad, near impossible with matched grip (due to the thumb and first finger positioning working to the advantage of a trad player with no comparable positioning available for matched unless you sort of contort your hand into very weird positions...thus the *near* impossible choice of words, it can be done but it ain't pretty).

Plus, trad looks way cooler. :worthy:

Also, the matched grip revolution happened when harnesses began to replace straps. With the drum now flat and directly in front of you the main argument (slant of the slings) for traditional seemed passe. So there was a lot of experiments going on with matched grip (it mainly worked) but for reasons of style and tradition, by the mid-90s the traditional grip had again become the norm.

Historically, a number of key corps switched to matched grip b/c studies of the day seemed to suggest more potential for matched grip. This may or may not be true by today's standards of science. But for that blip in time during the late 70 and early 80s alot of excellent lines were using matched grip with great success.

I think it would be interesting to go back and interview folks from that era to get a complete picture of what was going on. It's long been my impression that Tony Cirone -- a legendary concert percussionist -- had this massive impact on drum corps without ever participating. His program produced Fred Sanford, and it sort of fans out from there is all kinds of impressive, breath-taking ways. And with Hardimon taking over SCV with their classical regimen ... you start to get a picture of a serious matched-grip movement as harnesses are introduced, I think.

Anyway, I find the history (and resulting impact) more interesting than the actual debate of matched vs. traditional. I am however pleased most of us seem to recognize the decision is almost universally an emotional, aesthetic one. Twenty years ago I don't think that many people were as self-aware on the issue and it seemed like everyone had decided one was better than the other. Pick a side and draw your weapon. LOL

Edited by Gaddabout