Remember These Drum Corps Items In Popular TV Series?

Blue Devils? With batons? Oh come on now, you got to joking.

Sarcasm button off.

Please, I know they have several world championship baton corps.

I don't remember how it happened that the baton twirlers were there. I don't think anyone minded. Now when the twirlers went to Japan with the Drumline in '88, that was a problem....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies for getting here a little late...

1976 Gong Show, Robert Amaya's Anaheim Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Corps rifle routine

I thought he was going to be doing it for laughs . . . but he was great!

Before long, Isaac Curtis is flying down the sideline untouched and right into the corner of the endzone where we are.

I ran HS track against that guy in a dual meet once. All I ever saw were his heels, and they were going away from me at a pretty fast pace! Sure, he was a senior and I was a freshman, but still...

Garry in Vegas

The 70 Troopers did a halftime show for a nationally televised game on there way back home after the season was over.

The '67 Troopers did the televised halftime for the Broncos [i think: I don't know football teams from upside down]. The Macy's Thanksgiving parades in the mid '60 had the Muchachos, BSGK, and Racine Scouts. Oh, and BAC did a halftime in '65. I remember, in Wichita, racing to phone my drum instructor [ex-Blue Rock & Air Force D&B snare Frank Haddaway] whose first words --after I said "Frank, it's Jim...."-- were "I SEE IT! I SEE IT!".

The Long Island Kingsmen did two television commercials:

The first was the commercial that introduced Diet RC Cola back in the early 70's (72??), featuring just our color guard and an air-head actress as the guard captain. It was filmed at Fordham University on a blistering hot summer day. It took the air-head 72 takes to get her lines right :tongue: .

The second was a commercial for Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks in NYC. The first part was filmed in the basement of the main store in Herald Square. Due to traffic on the Long Island Expressway and in the Midtown Tunnel, we were late getting into NYC and had ten minutes to change into uniforms and get all of our equipment down into the store. Like all good drum corps members of the late 70's, we just stood outside our buses in the middle of Herald Square and changed. The site of 100+ members changing in the middle of the Square was enough to stop even the most hardened NYer :thumbup: . The second part of the commercial was filmed in a park on the upper west side at dusk. We got to practice there all day and then finish the commercial as the sun went down. Macy's used that commercial for several years to advertise the fireworks show in the NY area.