Remember These Drum Corps Items In Popular TV Series?

I think it's interesting to note that there were drum & bugle corps references in the early episodes of two of America's best-loved television series, "The Andy Griffith Show" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show".

The one for "The Andy Griffith Show" appears in the episode entitled, "The Guitar Player Returns" (May 15, 1961). There is a scene where a drum & bugle corps appears playing a march as I recall (I think they may have referred to it as the Mayberry Drum & Bugle Corps). There is definitely a drum & bugle corps on the soundtrack, though I've never found out just who the actual corps was. I'm not sure if the group they show was actually a drum & bugle corps, (I haven't seen the episode since 2001) or a group of actors. Being that the show was shot in Southern California, the corps appearing on the soundtrack may have been one of the many L.A. area corps senior/junior that existed in that era. I guess it's also possible that professional musicians played genuine bugles on the soundtrack.

And in one of the first three episodes of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1970), actress Valerie Harper, who won Emmy Awards playing Mary's friend, Rhoda Morgenstern, is heard to say she played bass drum in her high school drum & bugle corps.

There was a March 14, 1969 episode of the NBC series "High Chaparral" which was entitled, "No Bugles, No Drums".

The Velvet Knights appeared as the "Tuckahoe Drum & Bugle Corps" on a 1974 episode of the CBS hit, "Maude". And VK made another appearance on December 5, 1977 on the CBS show "Circus Of The Stars", with Lucille Ball, James Earl Jones, Telly Savalas, Lynda Carter, Peter Fonda, and other "stars" of the era.

Then there was that great ad campaign introduced in 2000 for the snack food Bugles, with the immortal line,

"There's no such thing as too many bugles.......More is better!"

Of course Drew Carey kept a bugle on his wall for his show on ABC. And the CBS show "Yes Dear" also used bugles as room decorations.

Remember any others from television? I won't start on movies yet, since there are tons of those to go through. I'll post those in the future.

Edited by Northern Thunder

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian - The Marine Drum & Bugle Corps stationed at Kaneohe, Hawaii appeared briefly in an episode of Hawaii Five-O. It was either 1974 or 1975, and the story line had to do with some ancient human remains that were stolen by the Japanese during WW II. I think the episode was entitled "Java Man". A portion of that show was filmed at the Marine Barracks, Pearl Harbor. The Marine Drum Corps happened to be there that day performing for some military ceremonies. If I recall, the appearence was only for 2 or 3 seconds in the background.

It was fun getting to meet Jack Lord and a few other cast members during breaks in the action.

A few years later while fundraising for Na Koa Alii, the Jr. corps I started in Hawaii, Jack Lord was kind enough to write us a check for $1,200.00. I thought that was very generous of him. :laughing:

Don't forget Robert Amaya on the gong show.

If I remember correctly he marched with SCV in their horn line, then went to Madison to march in their guard in 1976.

I think it was the winter after the 1976 season he did some rifle work in a Kingsmen uniform on the Gong Show and scored perfect 10's from the "judges".

A few years later while fundraising for Na Koa Alii, the Jr. corps I started in Hawaii, Jack Lord was kind enough to write us a check for $1,200.00. I thought that was very generous of him.

The story about Hawaii 5-O is great, Mark. I don't think I ever heard about that.

Edited by Northern Thunder

The 1970 Lynwood, CA, Diplomats appeared as a walk-on on the old Red Skelton Show. I haven't seen it yet but I do believe I heard that the music heard was a dubbed marching band. The corps itself had rehearsed "The Thunderer," I think.

This was just before I started teaching the corps so I have to rely on the memories of the kids involved for the details.

RON HOUSLEY

It's interesting that the Diplomats were on Red Skelton, Ron, since the Marine Pacific Drum & Bugle Corps was also on that show, on September 28, 1965. The Marine Pacific is the only true drum & bugle corps with a listed credit on the internet movie database. They also appeared on the ABC show "The Hollywood Palace" a year earlier.

It doesn't surprise me that Red would have had drum & bugle corps on his show, since he was known for his patriotism. He did his famed Pledge of Allegiance on his show in 1969, and, of course, he composed the patriotic march "Red's White And Blue March", which the Blue Stars played in 1969 and 1970.

I was on the Mike Douglas show in 1975 along with the rest of the 27th Lancers. :laughing:

27 at the Winter olympics, of course. they caried flags and performed at the opening and closing ceremonies as well as took part in one art installment. I won't discuss garfield at the Atlanta Olympics because their performance was beneath their dignity, IMO.

Their drumline played on Letterman a few years ago, bumping a Top Ten list.

A month or so after DCI 1980, Rita Moreno was on The Tonight Show and discussed her time co-hosting the Finals broadcast, raving over the experience.

I even understand drum corps competitions used to be on TV. A long time ago, so i hear.