Remember These Drum Corps Items In Popular TV Series?

I swear I remember seeing the Troopers on a Nat TV football game. It was a year of two before I started marching and wondered about those funny lookinh "tubas".

Must have been around 68 or 79

Actually, I think it was 1967, televised from the Houston Astrodome, when the VFW Nats were in New Orleans ... I remember watching them on tv in the hotel we were staying at ...

:-)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I remember seeing the Troopers on a Nat TV football game. It was a year of two before I started marching and wondered about those funny lookinh "tubas".

Must have been around 68 or 79

They showed our 1971 Dolphin/49'er pre-season 1/2-time in it's entirety on NBC. We marched in a torrential downpour!

guardsmen.jpg

Evidently, Guardsmen used tables on the field before Cadets or Blue Stars!

Not that many of you would have seen this but St. John's or Brantford Girls (I believe they were known by then were in "Follow That Bird"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE2ax0-4Yg4...feature=related

Wow! Looks like one of the sops took a hit on the bell from Big Bird. Hope she didn't suffer a fat lip!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

In the late '60s to 1970 the SCV use to do a half time shows for both the San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders. Niner games use to be in the old Kezar Stadium by Golden Gate Park. I remember standing on the sideline getting ready to go on the field and seeing Tony Bennett coming out right before us in car fixed up to look like a cable-car. I believe the games were only shown in the bay area though. Fun times! :blink:

Edited by amadorj

How come the Muchachos got DQed, and this guy didn't even get protested for overage???

Impeccable paperwork ... that, and a boatload of money!!!!

:-)

How come the Muchachos got DQed, and this guy didn't even get protested for overage???

"If y'all DQ me, I'll take away your franchise". :blink:

The Other Mike said:

"I swear I remember seeing the Troopers on a Nat TV football game. It was a year of two before I started marching and wondered about those funny lookin "tubas"."

I think you are absolutely correct, Mike. I remember doing a NY Giants game halftime at Yankee Stadium, probably September of 1970. It might have even been the first game of the season. I remember going home to Queens after the job, and tuning in to watch a four o'clock Broncos game from Mile-High Stadium, and discovering that the Troopers did the halftime show for that game.

A few years later when I saw their now-famous film, "The Troopers Are Coming," I swore the final full show in that film was from that halftime performance. The film gave the impression it was a big contest of course, but the capacity crowd made it pretty clear it was a football game halftime.

Richard Pryor version of "Brewsters Millions" had CMCC Warriors playing a crappy version of "Take Me Out To the Ball Game" (Pryor played a minor league ball player who inherited $30). If you haven't seen the movie, count yourself lucky as the 30s version is better.

Edit: Just see that Bluecoat88 beat me to mentioning this one. :sad:

err...??? The movie "Brewster's Millions"....

Pryor's charatcher in the movie had to spend $30 million in one month with out having any assets at the end of the month (which he was told wasn't possible) in order to get his real inheritance of $300 million, but the "catch" was he couldn't tell anyone what he was doing during that month. OR.... he was offered to take the $30 million and walk away. Should he have failed to spend the $30 milion in the month with out the accumulation any assetts he would not get the $30 million and lose the $300 million.

Now aren't you glad I did see the movie? :thumbup:

err...??? The movie "Brewster's Millions"....

Pryor's charatcher in the movie had to spend $30 million in one month with out having any assets at the end of the month (which he was told wasn't possible) in order to get his real inheritance of $300 million, but the "catch" was he couldn't tell anyone what he was doing during that month. OR.... he was offered to take the $30 million and walk away. Should he have failed to spend the $30 milion in the month with out the accumulation any assetts he would not get the $30 million and lose the $300 million.

Now aren't you glad I did see the movie? :thumbup:

Ooops, memory after we hit 50 ain't so great... right Tony :worthy: My typing never was too great as I missed a million. :sad:

Actaully a remake from a movie made in 1945 which I caught years ago on cable. Thought that one was better considereing it was made on the cheap and without CMCC Warriors. Then the guy had to spend a million in 30 days. Yeah one million then... talk about inflation. LOL, checked imdb.com and see this has been done a few times.... with a new one being working on for 2012 :sad:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari