National Orange Show (standstill)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Diplomats at The National Orang Show and the disputed ten yards. From former Diplomat, author and chronicler of SoCal Drum Corps, Mr. Lloyd Kaneko:

"...I remember the night perfectly well. The organizers or the judges never measured a standard football size field that went from goal line to goal line (100 yards). They measured the field including the enzones. When we set up off the cone, it was set at the outer edges of the field. When we came off the corner, we were already 10 yards out too far. As we made our approach to center from the corner, we came in on the 40 instead of the 50. If the tw'ts would have measure the field to a regulation size field, I think we could have taken that show. The left turn, right turn BS litterally sank us. We never got fair credit for doing the drill -- we got penalized for being off center. Not our fault -- certainly theirs although they refused to accept blame for their error. If I remember right, we left the trophy on the field after retreat -- in protest. It wasn't necessarily missing 10 yards -- they gave us 10 yards too many...."

Thanks, Lloyd. Was it also that we did our opening drill all the way to concert whereas the other corps marched out to a song in their repertoire or did they also do a 1/2 drill to concert? I was sketchy on details so didn't include that part.

RON HOUSLEY

Re: Just curious, were you with the Lynwood Diplomats in New Orleans in 68 for the AL Nat's?

No, in August of 1968 I was in the US Army at Ft. Lewis, WA.

I started teaching the Diplomats brass line in the fall of 1970 and was with them until just before AL Nationals in Houston in 71.

There are a fair number of Lakewood-Lynwood-Hollywood Diplomats around who marched with the corps in 1968, a fair bunch who later marched with The Anaheim Kingsmen and even later The Kingsmen Alumni Corps in 2007 at The Rose Bowl.

Here's The Diplomats page from Munson Chan's Scrapbook of Early California Drum and Bugle Corps:

http://mellom007.tripod.com/Scrapbook2001/dippics.html

Thanks, Munson........rock 'em and and sock 'em at DCA, Renegades!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Funny that this particular year was brought up. Here are some pictures of VK that day..

VK19745.jpg

Me, Byron, Dan and Chris

VK19743.jpg

VK19742.jpg

Look! ^ There's a judge now! Can we shove him off the stage?

EddieandLinda.jpg

Eddie Turner and Linda Leatherman Hill. Eddie was one of the DM's for the Kingsmen Alumni Corps, and I saw Linda in the lot after their performance.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Re: Just curious, were you with the Lynwood Diplomats in New Orleans in 68 for the AL Nat's?

No, in August of 1968 I was in the US Army at Ft. Lewis, WA.

I started teaching the Diplomats brass line in the fall of 1970 and was with them until just before AL Nationals in Houston in 71.

There are a fair number of Lakewood-Lynwood-Hollywood Diplomats around who marched with the corps in 1968, a fair bunch who later marched with The Anaheim Kingsmen and even later The Kingsmen Alumni Corps in 2007 at The Rose Bowl.

Here's The Diplomats page from Munson Chan's Scrapbook of Early California Drum and Bugle Corps:

http://mellom007.tripod.com/Scrapbook2001/dippics.html

Thanks, Munson........rock 'em and and sock 'em at DCA, Renegades!

RON HOUSLEY

While with the Sunrisers in 68, I met the Lynwood Diplomats in New Orleans for Nationals. Nice group of young people. My brother was in the Navy, stationed in Chula Vista, Ca. and sat in with the L.D's on contra around early 68 and told them to look me up at Nationals. Small world after all.

Glenn

The Orange show was the premier event of the standstill season. I participated from 1969-1975 with the Anaheim Kingsmen's B corp and the Kingsmen. There was an actual standstill season when corps would try out their new music. There was an event hosted by the Velvet Knights that included individuals competition.

Old school, good times :ph34r:

Edited by baritone1972

Funny that this particular year was brought up. Here are some pictures of VK that day..

VK19745.jpg

Me, Byron, Dan and Chris

Garry in Vegas

Hey Garry, Thanks for posting. This was the very first snare line I witnessed close up when I first joined the Squires (VK feeder corps). This picture is just as intimidating to me today as it was back then as a 14 year old rookie.

Hey Garry, Thanks for posting. This was the very first snare line I witnessed close up when I first joined the Squires (VK feeder corps). This picture is just as intimidating to me today as it was back then as a 14 year old rookie.

Terry Walker was writing some good beats for us, too. That snareline was half VK, half Diplomats/Vaqueros after the merger. Fun stuff. I remember Dan's last name, but can't get Byron's out of brain-cell lockdown. (I wonder if they're on Facebook, too!) Chris I had been marching with since 71, finally in the snareline for me. Seemed everytime I made the snareline (72, 73), we needed a tenor player. Story of my life!

Garry in Vegas

Is this something like the mini Corps today. But with the full Corps back in the day. Were these Show just in Ca. or all over? This is just interesting to me. Thank you for your response.

Dean

I remember going up to Boston for a winter show one year I think the winter of 71. They had won this show for ever and we didn't change that .

• 1 month later...
I just happened to come across this Show. It was judged and there were two different Classes.

Was this a true standstill, or was this just part of the name of the Show? Or were there standstill competitions back in the day?

Dean

I LOVED the Orange Show. It was a great preview to what the corps were going to be playing in the summer. The corps would do a short parade on the fairgrounds, then later the standstill.

As I recall in '75 both the Anaheim Kingsmen and the Velvet Knights lost to VK's feeder corps, the Squires.

A couple of years ago I contacted the Orange Show and asked if they'd be interested in bringing back the tradition. There's enough local corps in Southern California now that'll make it a fun event again. Still waiting for a reply.... oh well.