What makes Phantom '06 so special?

What the Cavaliers did visually in 2006 was LIGHT YEARS more innovative than anything else on the field that year. Why on Earth would they reinvent something that they're so good at? Add to that the top brass line in DCI and a show concept that literally defined what the Cavaliers stand for and you've got a winner.

No matter how good Phantom or Blue Devils were, they weren't going to be good enough to win in 2006, and Phantom lit it up at Semis and Finals.

I partially agree with you. I see Machine as a lot different than what they did before and it was innovative and cool but I don't see it as being far ahead of BD or phantom. Maybe slightly ahead, however I really think it could've gone to any of the top 3.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the Cavaliers did visually in 2006 was LIGHT YEARS more innovative than anything else on the field that year. Why on Earth would they reinvent something that they're so good at? Add to that the top brass line in DCI and a show concept that literally defined what the Cavaliers stand for and you've got a winner.

Machine was a great show, and I know that everyone in my group was fine with them winning, but they haven't been able to top it. They haven't even come close.

They don't need a revamp, but some sort of evolution in the formula would be nice.

Machine was a great show, and I know that everyone in my group was fine with them winning, but they haven't been able to top it. They haven't even come close.

They don't need a revamp, but some sort of evolution in the formula would be nice.

It will be interesting to see how much of that revamp is already occurring now that two of the cogs from the '06 design team are gone.

No matter how good Phantom or Blue Devils were, they weren't going to be good enough to win in 2006

Still , though, if there was ever a show that was meant to be watched rather than listened to for me personally, Cavaliers 2006 would be the one.

So a lot of you are putting Phantom 2006 on your lists of tons shows from 2005 on. Why? I've seen the show many times and it hasn't grown on me. Am I missing something? I feel like there's something right in front of me that I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

Yeah, a drumline that had only 1 called tick on Finals night. :rolleyes:

Still , though, if there was ever a show that was meant to be watched rather than listened to for me personally, Cavaliers 2006 would be the one.

That show makes no sense at all without the visuals.... I can't listen to the whole show without falling asleep.

Lets not forget that Phantom won Visual GE that year, didn't they? (correct if wrong)

I personally felt like music and visual should have been switched still.... that was the last of the innovative visual shows from cavies though... I will admit that Phantoms show moved very well visually that year... combined with the music it made a lot of sense, and the music was pretty #### effective too...

Why did they lose? Not as clean as Cavies.... clean is the name of the game... and Cavies won the game. Same thing happened this year between Crown and BD... great performance is what drives those GE numbers even higher...

Yeah, a drumline that had only 1 called tick on Finals night. :rolleyes:

That judge tape was awesome to listen too... same with the GE music judge... only one tick there too... and that cost the GE music... cause Cavies were so clear.... but the judge was creaming over Regiments show.... something like "I need a cigarette" during the ballad...

Did I miss the memo about bringing back ticks?

Forget about it; they're rolling.

johnbelushi4.jpg

Edited by mobrien

Don't worry. I feel the same way about Phantom 2008... still don't get what the fuss was about. Haha. I'm a huge fan of 2006, however. Like someone else mentioned, everything just clicked. The story was great, the hornline sounded fantastic, and the ballad was beautiful.

In regards to The Cavaliers during that year... I listen to that show all the time (it's the 2nd most played show on my iTunes). I can recall the music easily. As I'm listening to it, I can see the drill taking place. But hey, that's just me. :rolleyes: