What makes Phantom '06 so special?

God, I love the off season and the inherent pissing matches it brings. Since I just had a few, I shall join in.

IMO, Phantom had the superior show/performance on finals night.

IMO, Cavies were doing much of the same. That being said, it's one of my favorites from the corps.

IMO, Phantom needs to be wary of following too much of the same "love story show" formula.

IMO, anyone who reads any given post on DCP as fact should probably take a step back, breath in through the nose and out through the mouth, and maybe find another hobby until June.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, anyone who reads any given post on DCP as fact should probably take a step back, breath in through the nose and out through the mouth, and maybe find another hobby until June.

But everything I post is fact. :thumbs-up:

Phantom 2006 - one of my top 7 all-time - great music book, visuals that cooked, a storyline played out par excellence in the guard and in sync with the music book.

Phantom 2003 - my second all-time favorite DC show - the music book does it again, and the development of the closer throughout the season culminating with the chord resolution and wedge kickout at finals grabs me every single time I see or hear the show.

Phantom 2008 - my all-time favorite show. Perfect marriage of music, motion and storyline. Drumline and pit on fire, in fact that pit was pretty sick. Leaving an unattended corpse to receive awards was a touch of comic genius.

And I've seen all three shows live - the first 2 in midseason form and the last at finals.

Not knocking any other corps, in fact I :laughing: them all, I have no corps affiliation and am simply a fan of the activity. Cavaliers between 2000 and 2002 are also some of my favorite shows. Cadets 2000, 2001 and 2004 in there. BD 2001 through 2003, in there too. Crown 2008 and 2009. Bluecoats 2008. VK 1992. A small boatload of Vanguard shows - 89, 92, 00 through 04, 08 and 09. Any Star show. Scouts 1975. 27th Lancers 1975. Just plain :blink:

I have so much fun celebrating what is GOOD in this activity, I don't have any use for corps disrespect, whether based in rivalry or whatever. :thumbs-up:

The trumpets picking up baritones was one of my favorite parts.

[/disgruntled euphonium player]

The trumpets picking up baritones was one of my favorite parts.

[/disgruntled euphonium player]

horn appreciation block!!

2006 was Phantom's Faust show with no music from Faust, just iike 2008 was a Spartacus show with only 45 seconds of music from Spartacus.

Hey...give credit--I coined that observation/phrase! :hehe:

...Psstt... :cool: they got 4th.... they should have got 3rd...

Come on...I'm a honk but I realize that the corps wasn't going to beat Cavies at Champs unless they beat them during the season (06). Same thing in 07. Only reason they beat 'em in 08 was that show just couldn't be denied--the crowd would have torn IU up, and they had just replaced the field...can't have that! It's nice to have "THE Streak" over finally.

Faust was one of my favorite Phantom shows, up until 2008. They are both two of my favorite drum corps shows of all time...both were fantastic shows.

Phantom 06 was a very good show. It never should have placed in 2nd though. Cavaliers were clearly the best corps the whole week. Blue Devils should have been 2nd, Cadets should have been 3rd, and Phantom should have been 4th. The level of difficulty was nowhere near BD or Cadets, and the performance level wasn't as good either. 06 was a very weird year for judging. If I remember correctly, 9 of the 12 corps switched places on finals night from semis.

A demon falls in love with a girl and saves her from the pits of hell. All while beautiful music, drill, and choreography is going on!!!

Guess they didn't convey the "story" so well, after all. :cool: