1975 Oakland Crusaders

did not EOC take top drums in 77, but not make finals... I remember the battery was ....

awesome ,, amazing,,, and other such adjectival words

(is adjectival a word?)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there as well. I saw their finals performance. It was our first year at the big show and that is when my addiction to drum corps kicked in.

Cathy, Etobicoke had some really fine corps prior to the De La Salle merger.

I remember watching you (Etobicoke Crusaders) guys do a run through before U.S. Open in 1972, and I "judged" the hornline.

You were one of the top Class 'A' corps in North America those years.

Just an aside.... A group of us from one of the original corps (Etobicoke Crusaders) are looking at holding a 40th year reunion to commemorate our first season of competition in 1970. Once I get the details, I will post a separate post. We are looking for members of ECDC from 1969 - 1974.

If I don't have your email or Facebook information, please PM me.

Thanks!

Cathy (Johnson) Walker

Hi Cathy (DrumCorpsMom). While I was visiting T.O. a few weeks ago, I found some more drum corps stuff including 1972 The Big Ten program (Hamilton) and the 1973 Canadian Nationals Program (CNE Stadium) both of which include photos of Etobicoke Crusaders. I'll get back to you when I get free time to scan.

Hi John (sarnia sam) Is there a recording of 1977? Sorry I missed you all in Denver. We were touring in Europe, however, we watched DCI prelims and finals in 1978 :-)

Hi Keith Hall. In the 1973 program there's photos of 27 Canadian drum corps and scores from 22 different contests. Contest on August 18, 1973 contest in Willowdale Ontario. In attendance were Watkins Glen Squires, Etobicoke Crusaders, Geneva Appleknockers, General Butler Vagabonds, St. John's Girls, Coachmen. I think we hosted the show so we didn't compete. Hope this helps.

Hi 84skyrydr Regarding your comments about 1976; thanks for the kind words :-)

Heh, but the corps made finals. Should have been around in 77 when we didn't, or 78 for that matter.

Regards,

John

Its all good. Just glad I could enjoy your shows thirty years after the fact. They were good and very enjoyable. Thanks for your hard work in the day.

I have a whole bunch of 'slides' taken at the 1972 Canadian Nationals at CNE Stadium in Toronto of Etobicoke Crusaders and a few of retreat with various corps. I have to take them out and put on CD.

Val Courneyea

Snare - Preston Scout House

Its all good. Just glad I could enjoy your shows thirty years after the fact. They were good and very enjoyable. Thanks for your hard work in the day.

It was more fun. Hard work was loading and unloading the busses and the truck. We drummed all day and every night, wouldn't have it any other way.

Regards,

John

Hi Linda, that would be awesome to see. I might remember that contest.

Hi Cathy (DrumCorpsMom). While I was visiting T.O. a few weeks ago, I found some more drum corps stuff including 1972 The Big Ten program (Hamilton) and the 1973 Canadian Nationals Program (CNE Stadium) both of which include photos of Etobicoke Crusaders. I'll get back to you when I get free time to scan.

Hi John (sarnia sam) Is there a recording of 1977? Sorry I missed you all in Denver. We were touring in Europe, however, we watched DCI prelims and finals in 1978 :-)

Hi Keith Hall. In the 1973 program there's photos of 27 Canadian drum corps and scores from 22 different contests. Contest on August 18, 1973 contest in Willowdale Ontario. In attendance were Watkins Glen Squires, Etobicoke Crusaders, Geneva Appleknockers, General Butler Vagabonds, St. John's Girls, Coachmen. I think we hosted the show so we didn't compete. Hope this helps.

Hi 84skyrydr Regarding your comments about 1976; thanks for the kind words :-)

I did march Oakland, but several years later. Wish I could've been in on these great Oakland shows. Actually, my favorite is the '76 show; it just feels more polished, cohesive and powerful to me. But '75 is pretty amazing!

Heh, but the corps made finals. Should have been around in 77 when we didn't, or 78 for that matter.

I was around for the latter. 'twas rough!

Linda, as John noted, there's no video of '77 that we've been able to unearth just yet. Earlier this year, I did finally find a video on Facebook of us performing at the '78 Canadian Nationals, so I have to believe that there's a similar video of the '77 show. We just have to find the person who kept that tape!

Edited by byline