Would you rather...

Just a note - the first statement you brought up is supposed to mean that there arent many people that are homers of ALL 3 corps. Its pretty hard to bleed blue, green, and maroon all at the same time...it would wind up a kind of ugly brown...

Thanks for the clarification...not too good with mixing paint, but yeah that would be disgusting!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously made my choice... :cool: ....but i would do C as well. I dont like all the new rules either, but seeing some of the BD fans on here getting worked up over complaints about the show is what made me start the thread. I can kind of see why, with people saying the show was easy or boring...

Well of course you'd pick " C " ( ie " show wasn't Drum Corps " ). That's because you marched Cadets and that was one of the most frequent criticisms heard about the Cadets when you marched Cadets than " A " and " B " criticisms that more often were leveled at BD or the Cavs. And good grief, why would you care what criticisms you'd get marching these 3 Elite Corps ? When you put the uniform on, you realize that you have an 82 % chance of your corps finishing in the top 3 that year, and a good shot of getting a ring. Do you think the NY Yankees or their fans give a wit about the knock that they have gobs of dough to position themselves to grab the best players to position themselves to garner a title ?

Winners, win.... losers make excuses, criticize, complain, etc

Nothing new under the sun, here.

'

Edited by BRASSO

Well of course you'd pick " C " ( ie " show wasn't Drum Corps " ). That's because you marched Cadets and that was one of the most frequent criticisms heard about the Cadets when you marched Cadets than " A " and " B " criticisms that more often were leveled at BD or the Cavs.

Well, i said it was obvious. Then again, I started marching cadets in 2003, which is about as stock of a drum corps show as you can get. I wasnt about to go somewhere else in 05 just because the show was a little weird. The whole point of the thread is that fans of winning corps deal with a lot of criticism, and I was trying to get an idea of how people react to it, and which is the hardest to deal with.

Well, i said it was obvious. Then again, I started marching cadets in 2003, which is about as stock of a drum corps show as you can get. I wasnt about to go somewhere else in 05 just because the show was a little weird. The whole point of the thread is that fans of winning corps deal with a lot of criticism, and I was trying to get an idea of how people react to it, and which is the hardest to deal with.

I don't care that "fans ( or marchers for that matter )of winning Corps deal with a lot of criticisms ". That's my reaction as a fan of Drum Corps in general and one not connected in any way to any of the current DCI Corps.

Walmart " gets a lot of criticisms "...... The Yankees " get a lot of criticisms "..........The New England Patriots " get a lot of criticisms".........North Carolina and Duke basketball programs " get a lot of criticisms ".......... George Bush ( and now Barack Obama ) " get a lot of criticism "....... Fox News, Microsoft, Comcast, anything successful, and on and on.

By contrast, few if any, criticize..... the Milwaukee Brewers...... San Diego Padres...... Minnesota Timberwolves....... Temple Owls football.... the Food Network... a Bank teller.... or the Pioneer Drum Corps.....

as former President Harry Truman once quipped " if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen ".

Edited by BRASSO

I don't care that "fans ( or marchers for that matter )of winning Corps deal with a lot of criticisms ". That's my reaction as a fan of Drum Corps in general and one not connected in any way to any of the current DCI Corps.

Walmart " gets a lot of criticisms "...... The Yankees " get a lot of criticisms "..........The New England Patriots " get a lot of criticisms".........North Carolina and Duke basketball programs " get a lot of criticisms ".......... George Bush ( and now Barack Obama ) " get a lot of criticism "....... Fox News, Microsoft, Comcast, anything successful, and on and on.

By contrast, few if any, criticize..... the Milwaukee Brewers...... San Diego Padres...... Minnesota Timberwolves....... Temple Owls football.... the Food Network... a Bank teller.... or the Pioneer Drum Corps.....

as former President Harry Truman once quipped " if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen ".

this is kind of my point....or one of them...

this is kind of my point....or one of them...

It's so true.

The degree, intensity, and number of " criticisms " rises and falls the higher ( and lower ) one goes up and down the ladder of success...... in just about ANY endeavor, not just Drum Corps.

Like I said, one would be hard pressed to find a lot of threads on here criticizing the Pioneer Drum Corps.

Watch the Troopers. Everybody loved them last year.

If next year the Troopers shocked the Drum Corps world and started to finish ahead of Crown, Phantom, Boston, Bluecoats, Santa Clara, Blue Stars, Cavs, Cadets, BD, etc you can bet your life they'd see a LOT more criticisms as they moved up the success ladder.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't see the sports teams mentioned getting criticized as much as they are just "hated". The worst most people say about the Yankees is..."well, they always win", or, "they buy their championships". There really isn't a whole lot to truthfully criticize them on...maybe bullpen...

The criticisms the Cadets, Cavies, and BD have received in the last few years haven't really been like that. They have been genuine criticisms of play style. Young adults trying out for corps known for "ignoring" the fans shouldn't be surprised at lack of crowd response...then again, a lot of the people that try out for these corps don't really care about the fans, anyway...all they want is the medal.

I don't see the sports teams mentioned getting criticized as much as they are just "hated". The worst most people say about the Yankees is..."well, they always win", or, "they buy their championships". There really isn't a whole lot to truthfully criticize them on...maybe bullpen...

The criticisms the Cadets, Cavies, and BD have received in the last few years haven't really been like that. They have been genuine criticisms of play style. Young adults trying out for corps known for "ignoring" the fans shouldn't be surprised at lack of crowd response...then again, a lot of the people that try out for these corps don't really care about the fans, anyway...all they want is the medal.

None of this is new... and it's not unique to these 3 Corps either frankly.

The Star of Indiana were this cute little Drum Corps out of Indiana that people loved in their first few fast rising years in the late 80's.

Then they got good in the early 90's...... REAL GOOD.

and once they got inside the small circle of Corps that actually could win.... and did..... then they were the recipients of the wrath from the jealous. They got LOTS of criticisms once they reached the proverbial Drum Corps Promised Land.

As I said, there is nothing unusual here to see the highly successful and the high achievers in society criticized.

Edited by BRASSO

None of this is new... and it's not unique to these 3 Corps either frankly.

The Star of Indiana were this cute little Drum Corps out of Indiana that people loved in their first few fast rising years in the late 80's.

Then they got good in the early 90's...... REAL GOOD.

and once they got inside the small circle of Corps that actually could win.... and did..... then they were the recipients of the wrath from the jealous. They got LOTS of criticisms once they reached the proverbial Drum Corps Promised Land.

As I said, there is nothing unusual here to see the highly successful and the high achievers in society criticized.

What I think it comes down to is can you (you being anybody here....) admit that when you dont like something, it could be BECAUSE it was so successful. For instance, i dont really have a problem with BD's show for the most part. I get what they were trying to do, it entertained people (how many will always be debated), and believe it or not, some of the tunes actually got stuck in my head. So what's the problem...well i think we all know what it is...they WON. By like...a lot. I can honestly admit that it sort of ruins things for me. Does it make me a bad person??...i dont think so, because at least I'm willing to admit it.

On the flip side of all that, I can relate to how members and fans of BD feel this year. I met my girlfriends family a few days after finals in 2005, and the first thing her grandfather said to me was 'your show sucked'. Now, there's about as much truth to that as saying BD had the easiest show ever, or nobody liked it, but I didnt really feel the need to defend myself to him. There are some pretty basic complaints that are lobbied against the usual 3 winners every year, and although there is sometimes merit to them, i think people would be pretty used to it by now. I'm not even really sure what kind of point im trying to make with this....just trying to generate some discussion on a very sleepy forum :)