DCA vs DCI

I am confused by this statement. The Bucs have Gino Cipriani as their brass caption head... he is the same as Cadets. Weren't the Cadets 3rd this year? Hasn't he won brass before in DCI. How can you not say that DCA has comparable staff to DCI?

This is not the only example, but thought I would point out this one.

Edited by BOSMarcher

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference between DCI & DCA is that nobody in this forum has been complaining or whining like babies about the judges, placements, stadium or choice of music by corps after finals and the weekend was way less expensive than the other guys.

This is my hopefully un-biased opinion. Bucs have a kick-### tenor line. DCI-quality line. Everything after that doesn't compare to DCI IMHO. That being said, they certainly move/march WAY more than any other DCA corps at the moment from what I saw. And they have a fantastic program.

Don't know about their staff, but they have created a very good formula to ensure quality year after year.

1st, let's put to bed the discussion about who has more talented staffs. You can't compare, it's like comparing NFL coaching staffs with NCAA staffs. They have different obstacles. NFL has to deal with grown men, NCAA with recruiting, etc..........

I believe there are talented staffs at both the DCI & DCA level. DCI staffs get to teach 7 days a week, all summer, DCA has to work around the weekends.

As far as corps members being more talented, you can't breakdown either sides to determine who has more talent. The Steelers won the Super Bowl last year, does this mean there were not players ine the NCAA ranks that were not more talented than some of the guys who won the Super Bowl.

As far as holding their own head to head, from experience, 1990 I marched exhibition at DCI finals in Buffalo. We went on right before the 12th place corps that night. We were pretty nervous how we would compare to the jr. corps kids. We got tons of compliments that we were as good and entertaining as most of the jr.s.

A close and non-biased friend said that we were not matched for sound by the 1st 5 or 6 corps that night.

By the way, I do believe we were the 1st DCA corps to perform at DCI finals, thanks Carl.

sorry to bust ur bubble, but professional musicians not only can't march corps, its darn near impossible for them to even go see shows bc they make most of their money on the weekends.... ive been to 8 i think in 12 years due to cancelations from clients...

way to go bucs!!!!!!

You are far off, Richie "sidemouth" from Sky back in the day was a broadway player. I could name tons more, Dorrite, Pero, etc.. I guess it depends on what you consider a "pro" to be.

Well you have to admit that sometimes the great pro players in DCA are the worst marchers.

Edited by steelcityrabbit

OK, for the record, the most talented drum corps in the world is........

The Commandent's Own, The United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, 8th & I, Washington D.C.

Not only are they some of the most talented musicians in the world, they can take out any other corps with a M-16 at 500 yards. Period. :thumbup:

sorry to bust ur bubble, but professional musicians not only can't march corps, its darn near impossible for them to even go see shows bc they make most of their money on the weekends.... ive been to 8 i think in 12 years due to cancelations from clients...

way to go bucs!!!!!!

Depends on what kind of professional musician you are. If you are a guy who relies on weekend gigs, no, you probably can't march. But that's only a very small segment of the professional musician population.

Not everyone is the same kind of pro you are.

You are far off, Richie "sidemouth" from Sky back in the day was a broadway player. I could name tons more, Dorrite, Pero, etc.. I guess it depends on what you consider a "pro" to be.

Well you have to admit that sometimes the great pro players in DCA are the worst marchers.

hello mr rabbit,

im sorry if i wasn't clear, my bad... professional musican - the ones who pay for their food shelter and clothing and everything else from primarily performing on musical instruments for a career. its not just what "i" consider pro, its what gets put on your taxes as your occupation...

i doubt that you can be on broadway and march corps.... your missing what like 5 shows a week out of 8 or more? maybe if ur a sub and only play during the week, but then you are missing the bulk of your potential income which is friday saturday and sunday...

andrew beall who is our NY PAS PREZ is the main marimba one sub under valerie Naraho "sorry bout the spelling," and hes doing boston crusaders pit and he had to fly back a ton just to sub.... thanks for the convo.. u guys r cool

Depends on what kind of professional musician you are. If you are a guy who relies on weekend gigs, no, you probably can't march. But that's only a very small segment of the professional musician population.

Not everyone is the same kind of pro you are.

ur right.... i guess guys who work in studios could get away with it if they are in demand enough and the clients are fine doing the session work midweek..... since i aged out in 97, its all about: thursday to sunday night....... sometimes other nights, but rare..

what are some other kinds of pros? are the military musician guys allowed to leave for the weekends to do corps?

what am i missing here, please help me to understand this.. im really curious.... what segment of the professional musician population doesnt rely on the weekends.. out here on long island the big money is private events "weddings mitzvahs corperate events, etc...then followed by night clubs then bars then regional/community theatre. most people in this country work day jobs close to 9-5 m-f, so thats why weekend parties are set on sat and sun with the lower budget ones on friday and thursday. of course there are exceptions.. but the patterns r easy to read out here...

i was told there r amazing people in this online forum and i look forward to learning a lot...

Name dropping and name calling....two infamous dcp pastimes. I'm soooo tired of "The Bucs won, but...".

Bucs were outstanding. 99? I don't know...but WHO CARES? You can't fake a standing oh. Or two of them. Fans don't respond like that if it ain't from the heart. And that HORNLINE! The sound coming out of that ensemble was second to none. There is a method to teaching that kind of ensemble performance and what comes out of the bell in Reading is the same sound that comes out of any line taught by the same great instructor. He was there on Sunday. Ask his opinion on his product. He looked danm proud of it to me.

MBI: really good.

Statesmen: really good.

Hurricanes' guard: sensational

Caballeros: are the Caballeros.

DCA's top group, including Renegades, is really good drum corps. Big groups. Great entertainment, great value. All the same (lame) comparison's to DCI that happen year after year are pointless.

Why does one side feel as if they have to justify their position by denigrating the other? And, yes, that comment applies in both directions.

Does DCA somehow dilute the activity? I'd like to think that 24 field corps, 9 Alumni corps and 13 mini-corps adds some value to the equation. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. Haven't we had enough arrogance for a lifetime already?

DCA isnt DCI. Thank God for that.

The Bucs are the All-Age World Champions.

Good people. Good program. Good product.

Let's let em enjoy it....you know...for a day or two.