I Salute Mr. Jeff Gibbens

Thanks for the kudo's, but.........

I've been playing funerals and services here in Erie since the mid '70's , and have put together a great network of funeral directors, honor guards, and civic personnel. I made it a point to get to know these people. Anytime someone need a bugler, they usually call me, or one of the honor guards. If I can't play, we've put together a list of buglers to pick from, and in most cases, there's a "live" person that will do it.

Here's what to do:

Contact ALL the funeral homes, VFW's, American Legions, etc. in your area. I sent a letter with my photo on it many years ago introducing myself and offering my services. It's really not that hard, folks! You just have to make yourself known, and be professional about it!! DON'T CRACK!! I know, that's easier said than done! If you've ever stood outside at a graveside in Feb in Erie, (well..... :lle: )

I wear a suit and tie to every funeral. Stand at attention, and pay my full respects to the family. After all, this is one of the most memorable events in anyone's lives. That's the way I'd want it if it was my family!

Alrighty then..... go get one started in your community!!!

and yes.....I play my Bb ................ :ph34r:

Thanks for the kudo's, but.........

I've been playing funerals and services here in Erie since the mid '70's , and have put together a great network of funeral directors, honor guards, and civic personnel. I made it a point to get to know these people. Anytime someone need a bugler, they usually call me, or one of the honor guards. If I can't play, we've put together a list of buglers to pick from, and in most cases, there's a "live" person that will do it.

Here's what to do:

Contact ALL the funeral homes, VFW's, American Legions, etc. in your area. I sent a letter with my photo on it many years ago introducing myself and offering my services. It's really not that hard, folks! You just have to make yourself known, and be professional about it!! DON'T CRACK!! I know, that's easier said than done! If you've ever stood outside at a graveside in Feb in Erie, (well..... :lle: )

I wear a suit and tie to every funeral. Stand at attention, and pay my full respects to the family. After all, this is one of the most memorable events in anyone's lives. That's the way I'd want it if it was my family!

Alrighty then..... go get one started in your community!!!

and yes.....I play my Bb ................ :lle:

Well said my friend. I remember vividly playing "Taps Echo" for my dear friend and former Marine Corps' Drum & Bugle Corps' soprano and Charter member/organizer of the THUNDERBIRD DRUM & BUGLE CORPS....Mr. Charles Walker :ph34r: Riggie Laus played flawlessly in freezing cold weather and I played the echo but, not really so great. Cold....emotions......nervousness......? Maybe. But I cracked the echo. Sure I felt bad and do to this day. But I was there. Good or bad there may only be one opportunity for anyone to sacrifice their time to validate the life of another.

Edited by melligene

and yes.....I play my Bb ................ :rolleyes:

Just hold down the 3rd valve and that problem's fixed. :smile: