I Salute Mr. Jeff Gibbens

In reading today's Erie Times News (www.goerie.com) a photo caught my eye of Jeff Gibbens, horn in hand....statue-like in appearance, and just had to read the attached article. Jeff, as most of us in the Erie area know, frequently plays for Military Funerals. Herein is an exception. Unknown to many, including myself, every two years there is a public funeral service for unclaimed remains. (10 in this case) I/We the TBIRD Family are extremely proud of Jeff's participation in the playing of "Taps" for this solemn ceremony.

This begs the question...........how many others out there involved in our activity are doing something similar..? I'm sure there are many unsung (Hero's if you will) out there. Feel free to share.

Again.........Jeff Gibbens is mine. :tongue:

Edited by melligene

In reading today's Erie Times News (www.goerie.com) a photo caught my eye of Jeff Gibbens, horn in hand....statue-like in appearance, and just had to read the attached article. Jeff, as most of us in the Erie area know, frequently plays for Military Funerals. Herein is an exception. Unknown to many, including myself, every two years there is a public funeral service for unclaimed remains. (10 in this case) I/We the TBIRD Family are extremely proud of Jeff's participation in the playing of "Taps" for this solemn ceremony.

This begs the question...........how many others out there involved in our activity are doing something similar..? I'm sure there are many unsung (Hero's if you will) out there. Feel free to share.

Again.........Jeff Gibbens is mine. :tongue:

Nothing unsung about Jeff up here in Rochester. Everyone I introduce Jeff to know him as "the guy who plays Taps over 100 times a year." All the young soprano players in Empire's brass line view Jeff as an inspiration.

Nothing unsung about Jeff up here in Rochester. Everyone I introduce Jeff to know him as "the guy who plays Taps over 100 times a year." All the young soprano players in Empire's brass line view Jeff as an inspiration.

Jeff is a fabulous musician and one of the finest examples of of service to his fellow man. I am so proud of him.

He will always be my friend.

Jeff is a fabulous musician and one of the finest examples of of service to his fellow man. I am so proud of him.

He will always be my friend.

Jeff is an amazing person who does care for these vets and their families.

Another person who needs to be mentioned is Tom Allen who is either the founder or runs Operation Taps. I'm not sure but what he is doing for these vets is amazing.

Please go the the website www.operationtaps.org.

Edited by Canuck DCGroupie

God Bless Jeff for his efforts!

Further God Bless our fallen heroes that he plays for!!

More importantly, WHY wouldn't EVERY horn play reading this board NOT take Jeff's lead and play at a hero's internment???

Are you kidding me? This activity was founded on the military (despite today's bastardized incarnation)! We OWE IT TO THOSE THAT GAVE THE LAST GREAT MEASURE!!! 'Taps' is not a difficult piece to play if you properly commit to learning it.

(and YES, I do Taps as well but NEVER often enough...and for THAT I am PERSONALLY ashamed!)

Drum Corps is BULL #### without those that protect us. Drum Corps is descendent from our military in case you didn't get the memo.

If I ###### you off, #### you! You wouldn't be here if not for THEM!!!

Edited by strutta

God Bless Jeff for his efforts!

Further God Bless our fallen heroes that he plays for!!

More importantly, WHY wouldn't EVERY horn play reading this board NOT take Jeff's lead and play at a hero's internment???

Are you kidding me? This activity was founded on the military (despite today's bastardized incarnation)! We OWE IT TO THOSE THAT GAVE THE LAST GREAT MEASURE!!! 'Taps' is not a difficult piece to play if you properly commit to learning it.

(and YES, I do Taps as well but NEVER often enough...and for THAT I am PERSONALLY ashamed!)

Drum Corps is BULL #### without those that protect us. Drum Corps is descendent from our military in case you didn't get the memo.

If I ###### you off, #### you! You wouldn't be here if not for THEM!!!

I think more horn players would play if they were asked to play. I think the overall numbers and honor guards in general has declined. With that decline some of the local legions, I think they scramble just to get a couple of people to fill honor guards. Finding a horn player requires too much work.

I have personally gone down to two local legions in my area offering services. Last year a local vet had passed away who ALWAYS called me to play when I was a kid. I stopped at his calling hours mentioning that I would like to play for him if I could. The funeral director and the honor guard captain said they had it taken care of. Come to find out, there was a recording.

I believe there are MANY kids and adults locally who would like to play, they just need to be asked first

Dave

I think more horn players would play if they were asked to play. I think the overall numbers and honor guards in general has declined. With that decline some of the local legions, I think they scramble just to get a couple of people to fill honor guards. Finding a horn player requires too much work.

I have personally gone down to two local legions in my area offering services. Last year a local vet had passed away who ALWAYS called me to play when I was a kid. I stopped at his calling hours mentioning that I would like to play for him if I could. The funeral director and the honor guard captain said they had it taken care of. Come to find out, there was a recording.

I believe there are MANY kids and adults locally who would like to play, they just need to be asked first

Dave

I believe Tom Allen has approached all Corps in the past to inform their membership of the Operations Taps Program. Please send Tommy an email and he will help I'm sure.

Tom's website for this program is www.operationtaps.org.

If you can't get ahold of him I think he can be reached through the the Empire Statesmen.

Edited by Canuck DCGroupie

Dave

You're right Dave ... It's a big issue that most people aren't aware of. Too many Funeral Directors think that having a recording counts as "having it taken of." And... Active Duty Honor Guards keep the recorded bugle-looking replica on hand; they call it the "Ceremonial Bugle." But as members of horn-playing families know, it isn't the same.