Help needed! 1+2+3valved g-bugle fingering for scales?

will92

The Bucs' horns were genuine 2-piston. Here's a valve cluster pic of one of their Getzen baritones.

<snip>

I'm going to disagree. Although a disclaimer is in order: I am a drummer. So my memory may be faulty.

Only the sopranos were two-piston. The frenchies and baritones were piston/slide. The contras were piston/rotor. The sopranos, frenchies, and baritones were replaced with piston/rotor horns about 1969. (All dates plus or minus a year or so.) The frenchies were replaced with mellophones in 1971.

A couple of stories …

Charlie Richards floated the money for the 1969 horn purchase. He took a big chance that he would be repaid. Charlie’s music store was one of two in Reading. The second, Zeswitz, is still around today, although no longer owned by the family.

Red Winzer could not stand the frenchies (thus the change to mellos). He once opined that they should all be converted to lamps. The next weekend, Henry Smith, a color guard converted to French horn bugle player, had tee shirts made, “Reading Lamp Company”.