Help needed! 1+2+3valved g-bugle fingering for scales?

will92

Westshoremen Alumni has both G and Bb in the horn line as most members bring their own (or borrowed horns). The G charts are pretty much original but the Bb charts (changed to match the G) are really ugly. Lotsa flats/sharps in the key signature for the Bb parts. :lol:

Edit: End result should be found on "that" site that rhymes with "TooYube" :tongue:

Yup. Probably lots of sharps in the Bb parts - "bright" keys.

Single valve G bugles come in several varieties.

The G/D species fingering has been listed above for the "C" (concert G) scale. Chromatics can be accessed by pulling out the tuning or "slip" slide, or using the half step rotor. All yeild a semitone lower than the fingered pitch. Be careful though. There are some full step rotors out there, especially on baritones. Regardless, all these systems will leave gaps in spots.

Other major scales can be played on these horns:

(top line)F = v, o, v, o (a slightly flat Bb which can be played in tune as vs), o, o (or v), o, v

(on the staff)Bb = vs, o, v, os, v, o, v, o (or vs)

(on the staff)D = v, o, s, o, v, b, s (or vs), o (or v)

(above top line)G = o, v, v, o, o (or v), o, s, o

The other type of single valve G bugle emerged post 1968. The open tones are the same. The rotor lowers the pitch by a half step, the valve by a full step, as if the horn were a G trumpet with only the first and second valves. The 2 valve G behaves the same way, with the second valve replacing the half step rotor.

All of these horns are fun to master.

Edited by ironlips

Single valve G bugles come in several varieties.

The G/D species fingering has been listed above for the "C" (concert G) scale. Chromatics can be accessed by pulling out the tuning or "slip" slide, or using the half step rotor. All yeild a semitone lower than the fingered pitch. Be careful though. There are some full step rotors out there, especially on baritones. Regardless, all these systems will leave gaps in spots.

Other major scales can be played on these horns:

(top line)F = v, o, v, o (a slightly flat Bb which can be played in tune as vs), o, o (or v), o, v

(on the staff)Bb = vs, o, v, os, v, o, v, o (or vs)

(on the staff)D = v, o, s, o, v, b, s (or vs), o (or v)

(above top line)G = o, v, v, o, o (or v), o, s, o

The other type of single valve G bugle emerged post 1968. The open tones are the same. The rotor lowers the pitch by a half step, the valve by a full step, as if the horn were a G trumpet with only the first and second valves. The 2 valve G behaves the same way, with the second valve replacing the half step rotor.

All of these horns are fun to master.

For those with enough talent to "master". :tongue: Fun to play for the rest of us. :thumbup:

So 1968 is kinda the magic year for the change then. Is it a safe bet that all corps horns were piston/rotor by that time? Well, with the exception of the two horizontal piston horns that Reading had around then.

The G/F horns were field tested in '67 by the Velvet Knights and a couple of others, but weren't "legal"until '68. It took a few years for the majority to adopt them.

Those Bucanneer two-piston horns were legal in VFW and DCA, but not at Legion events, I believe. Thumb valves always were so ergonomically counter-intuitive: push the horn away from you while you try to maintain a good embroshure set. Still, those Reading boys played the dickens out of them.

The G/F horns were field tested in '67 by the Velvet Knights and a couple of others, but weren't "legal"until '68. It took a few years for the majority to adopt them.

Those Bucanneer two-piston horns were legal in VFW and DCA, but not at Legion events, I believe. Thumb valves always were so ergonomically counter-intuitive: push the horn away from you while you try to maintain a good embroshure set. Still, those Reading boys played the dickens out of them.

Thanks, now I have a better frame of reference when I listen to the older shows.

First corps I was with (for all of 3 months) had the 2 piston tenor baris. Had no idea what a Drum Corps was so I didn't have a clue how rare that horn was. If I had known I would have at least taken a picture. :tongue: And having your hands on top of each other while playing was a wierd feeling. Snapping the horn up and down was a bit of an adventure. :thumbup:

PS to the OP - did you find what you needed?

First part - I always thought that whole "legal" thing was a joke anyway because there were various combinations of rotors and slides being used by corps (especially on "bass" baritones) prior to 1968. Some horns had half-step (F#) rotors, others had full-step (F) and some had 1-1/2 step (E). Think about it - the abilitiy to play in virtually any key and keep the root of the chord on the bottom without relying on contra bass.

Second part - Weren't the Buc's two-piston horns really just piston-rotor? The second valve on the one's I've seen were setup as a mechanical linkage to a rotor.

Weren't the Buc's two-piston horns really just piston-rotor? The second valve on the one's I've seen were setup as a mechanical linkage to a rotor.

The Bucs' horns were genuine 2-piston. Here's a valve cluster pic of one of their Getzen baritones.

It's the only horn of this type that has shown up on eBay in over a decade, and sadly I couldn't snag it:

BUCSBAR2.jpg

Here's my Ludwig bari with a piston-operated rotary. These models were manufactured in 1961 at F.X. Hüller in Neustadt, West Germany.

The same factory later turned out all the Smith bugles.

pistonrotor.jpg

Edited by HornsUp

The Bucs' horns were genuine 2-piston. Here's a valve cluster pic of one of their Getzen baritones.

It's the only horn of this type that has shown up on eBay in over a decade, and sadly I couldn't snag it:

BUCSBAR2.jpg

Yep, that looks like the way the values were set up with the Keystone Kavalier Baris. The pistons were slightly offset but don't remember the tubing coming out of the lower piston like that. Then again only used it for 3 months and it was 35+ years ago and I can't remember what I did with my work badge some mornings. :sad: And we never got out of the practice room. :tongue:

Glad I missed that eBay listing or I would have been really PO'ed....

Edit: After looking at the pic, I'm trying to remember how the Hades we held those things. Maybe left hand went over the lower piston tubing. :worthy: All I remember is the hands were almost on top of each other.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari