Help needed! 1+2+3valved g-bugle fingering for scales?

will92

can anyone tell me the fingerings for a normal G-bugle scale?

I need to find out for 3 valved, 2valved and 1valved.

Also, if you could tell me a bit more about the diffrence between a G-bugle and a Bb instrument???

I am trying to set up a hornline, but we have G's, which we wanted to go on, because we wanted to capture the traditional drum corps sound.

At the minute i am in a corps that plays Bb instruments so know nothing about G's!

Cheers,

Will.

For 3 valve, it will be the exact same fingerings. The only difference is, that when you are playing a C on a bugle, it will come out a G on the piano, hence the "G".

So a Bb scale will have the same Bb fingerings as you are used to, but it won't be a Bb concert pitch that you are playing.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

can anyone tell me the fingerings for a normal G-bugle scale?

Same as on a Bb trumpet...the notes are even called the same...an A on a Bb is called an A on a G....tje only diff is the G bugle is a minor third lower than the Bb

I need to find out for 3 valved, 2valved and 1valved.

2 and 3 valve are identical (except the 2 valve can't play those 4 notes that require a 3rd valve in and below the staff)...dunno about a one valve....a valve/rotor I cold tell you.

Also, if you could tell me a bit more about the diffrence between a G-bugle and a Bb instrument???

Already hit on...except for the 1st valve slide. G horns were inherently out of tune on certain notes...especially the top line D. Watch any 80s vid and you'll find players pushing the slide in to tune up that D. 3 valvers like Kanstul can tune any note in the same way.

I am trying to set up a hornline, but we have G's, which we wanted to go on, because we wanted to capture the traditional drum corps sound.

At the minute i am in a corps that plays Bb instruments so know nothing about G's!

Cheers,

Will.

Old schoolers will thank you for it! keep us advised.

Also, if you go to Kanstuls website and read the specs I think that their G's have a slightly larger bore than the Bb's. Supposedly that translates into more power - or so the theory goes.......ooops - check that.......the bore and bell size are pretty much the same.

Edited by Piper

Dynasty G Bugle Fingering Chart

what everyone else said, plus here is a good reference to have - get it before it disappears!

John beat me to it... It's the chart I've used since I came back.

Do you play a valved brass horn ...? Nothing different in fingering. (assuming treble cleff) Do you have an ear...one or two...? Doesen't matter. Don't let anyone complicate things for you. Pitch may sound different...but that's it. You're good to GO !!! :lle:

The valve/ rotor fingerings are essentially the same as the two valve. I.e., the b, e-flat,and f sharp are played with the rotor and an A would be played with the valve and rotor.

The one valve scale is played as follows:

C-open

D- valve(some called it closed)

E-open

F- valve

G-open

A-valve

B-valve

C- open

So you would have open, closed, open, closed, open, closed, closed, open.

The flats would be played by pulling the tuning slide out (g-flat = open with slide pulled) with the exception of the b-flat which is played open. As you got to the top C and beyond, all notes could be played open or closed. Those notes are played by lipping it up as there is at lot of room for play in that register.

The notes that can be played on these bugles are pedal G (valve),low (pedal) C, D, G, B-flat, B, and C and above using the fingerings above.

I am using the present tense on this as I have a '1935 C.G. Conn one-valve (with a screw slot) that I am in the process of restoring. It plays well, it just has dings, etc.

Hope this helps. :lle:

Also, does anyone know where i can get any exercises/warm-ups/technique etc for the bugles?

Thanks for all replies as well it has really helped!

The exercises in most brass instruction books will work although I would add additional flexability exercises to your program.

As for warm-ups, most are written by the corps music arranger, although you may find some arrangers who are willing to share theirs or make suggestions about how to write one for your group.

Good luck.