Scouts Q&A on the Recent Changes

Mad75

Yea, my guess too. I wonder why they just didn't state "we are using Star of Indiana's old facility".

Heck, does the Blast/tour thing they do now still use the site?

Star Alumni has been using the site.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Mr. Mason,

I am not associated with this corps in any way, only by the fact that I am a huge fan of the activity. As a fan of drum corps, the Madison Scouts have always been one of my favorite corps. Any corps that has contributed so much over the years and has been able to survive for so long deserves my respect regardless of a particular show one year, or a few administrative problems. So every year when I see the Scouts perform, I give the members a standing ovation because they are members of a great drum corps that has a long tradition of excellence.

I was standing in the lot in Broken Arrow this year and the Scouts had just performed. The entire corps came trooping right by me. They all looked quite young, they were dripping in sweat, they looked #issed off, and they looked hungry for a victory. After reading about the recent developments with the corps, I couldn’t help but to recall this moment and think to myself how happy I am for all of those hardworking kids. How excited these young men must feel right now to see what’s happening with their corps.

I witnessed another great corps, the Troopers, fall on hard times and go inactive. This to me was a sad day for drum corps. I also witnessed that same corps become resurrected by the great leadership of Fred Morris, and I saw that corps perform at finals this year. I thought to myself, are you kidding me, that can not be the same corps I saw floundering in 22nd place all those years. Well thank God the Scouts never fell to the depths the Troopers fell. But I see a similar resurrection coming none the less, only in a much bigger way. Due to the actions of Jim Mason, I think this corps is going to rebound and rebound very, very quickly. I think his actions will cause many, many vets to return, and I think his actions will cause many new talented members to find their way to the Madison Scouts. I think this corps, like the Troopers did this year; will come back next year better in every single section of the corps. The guard will be better, and so will the hornline, drumline and front ensemble. I saw the Troopers raise eight places in two short years; I could easily see the Scouts doing this if not more.

Mr. Mason has apparently made a massive commitment to this corps. I think he and his entire staff will find that their efforts, their time, and their talent will be worth it. At the end of the year, they will have the respect and gratitude of 150 young men, and that my friend is priceless.

If you are a Madison Alumni, get your checkbook out and support your corps!

Mr. Komnick, you ship has come in…..

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the parallel here between these two storied organizations. The "Troopers model" of their current successful trajectory had a lot to do with people of vision, leadership, and a long history of success and excellence coming together to rebuild a World Class drum corps that serves all of its constituencies: members, fans and alumni. I see the same thing happening in Madison. (and yes, I do mean IN Madison, despite the rehearsal locations)

I'm sure the Madison organization will continue to find meaningful ways to connect to the community of Madison, just as the Troopers have made significant efforts to remain connected to Wyoming and Casper.

Just a couple of things. All these changes are subject to approval at the annual meeting, not a given, trust me.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the annual meeting. PM me if you'd like clarification.

Thanks.

Gregg Auby

Vice President, MDBCA Board of Directors

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the annual meeting. PM me if you'd like clarification.

Thanks.

Gregg Auby

OUch! Man, when will us DCPers learn that we don't have all the answers. Jeff Fiedler calling some other dude out in another thread--Chris addressing rumor mills in Madison threads. Maybe we should not talk out of our rears. I like this trend...

OUch! Man, when will us DCPers learn that we don't have all the answers. Jeff Fiedler calling some other dude out in another thread--Chris addressing rumor mills in Madison threads. Maybe we should not talk out of our rears. I like this trend...

Overplaying your hand just a little? I think Mr. Auby was trying to be helpful in providing another avenue of communication to this individual do address his questions. Where's the injustice on Mr. Auby's behalf?

Your attempt at being provocative is misguided.

Edited by Mad75

Overplaying your hand just a little? I think Mr. Auby was trying to be helpful in providing another avenue of communication to this individual do address his questions. Where's the injustice on Mr. Auby's behalf?

Your attempt at being provocative is misguided.

I think he was applauding Greg Auby for quickly

dealing with the previous poster's comment. I didn't take it

as him trying to be provocative. :)

Yeah. I mean, he's right in that it is funny how statements have been casually made regarding some and then the subject has suddenly swooped in. :rolleyes:

Could be......I think one might read it either way.....I sensed dripping sarcasm on my alert meter (I'll re-check the settings).

If I was wrong, I sincerely apologize to the offended and promise never to use the word provocative in at least my next 4 posts.

Sincerely,

Dunder Head Extraordinaire

Edited by Mad75

Thanks.

Gregg Auby

based on reading my copy of the bylaws I do not think I misunderstand the ability the meeting has on this type of decision and I know the amount of calls I have reciewed I think it will be a lot of interesting discussion

Baseball Spring Training would be a more meteorologically appropriate example than the Packers.

The advantages of holding camps in IN are so overwhelming that it's just silly to try and put any kind of negative spin on it.

If you read all of my comments youll see I pretty much squarely straddle the fence Vince. Frankly the issues brought about by these changes are going to be the same regardless of the corps in question. But you reply begs a question do the advantages of rehearsal facilties trump everything? Like actually having a tie and presence in the community?

To elmhurstmusiced as I said to Vince these issues are fairly universal and the idea of discussing these away from DCP seems needlessly secretive. We are a brotherhood, not a secret order. The comments I have read so far are respectful and fair.