Star 93 question

I was watching Star 93 recently and I couldn't help but notice that their marching technique looked amazingly similar to the Cavalier/Vanguard marching technique- especially on the forwards, but there was definite knee bend on the backwards.

Any idea who was teaching out there or where that came from? I was always under the impression that Star's visual staff was always lined with Cadets . . .

thanks!

Todd Ryan and his gang, went to BD in 94...

and their technique was the official "look really bad ###" technique.

I was watching Star 93 recently and I couldn't help but notice that their marching technique looked amazingly similar to the Cavalier/Vanguard marching technique- especially on the forwards, but there was definite knee bend on the backwards.

Any idea who was teaching out there or where that came from? I was always under the impression that Star's visual staff was always lined with Cadets . . .

thanks!

IDK about star 93, but a lot of corps that long ago did not execue straight leg (or even near straight) like many try to these days. Most appeared as if they just lifted their leg up.

check their toe on the "and" beat, is it pointed straight down? Thats one thing the Cavaliers do..when they pull through on the "and" beat, instead of keeping their heel low, it is up and the foot is pointed straight down.

This is the same in the backwards march too, which i do not see star doing.

Edited by TheClutch

Jeff Wroblewski was on that staff.

DA

Jeff Wroblewski was on that staff.

DA

God....THAT name brings back memories of the most difficult-to-pronounce DM pair in history....the other half being (forgive the spelling) Norm Dzedik.

I can just see announcers scratching their heads teh first time they saw THAT on the announcement sheet!

Jeff Wroblewski was with Freelancers in 93

I believe he also wrote the drill to Bluecoats 99, not necessarily a resume builder.

Basically, look at Blue Devils today and that's atleast what we were going for. Todd Ryan has made some fine tunings to the technique since '93 no doubt. The backwards technique was never a straight-leg ala Cadets nor was it a pick your feet up and squat ala Cavies. You were allowed to have some knee bend as the legs were crossing but the idea was to be "up on the platform" and straight on the down beats.

I don't think we as a corps got close to the desired style and uniformity until '93. Todd came in in '89 from Madison. Look at Madison '88 to get an idea of outstanding marching technique and the standard he was aiming for. When you consider that the whiplash 200+bpm shows of Zingali in '90 and '91 were not the norm back then, it took awhile to not only teach the technique to a new set of people, but to refine it for the much faster tempos. Star was still a work in progress as far as marching technique was concerned back in '93 although it was their best marching corps IMO (especially on foot technique...not to be confused with lower body techniique). I think Todd's perfected the high speed technique with BD.

Basically, look at Blue Devils today and that's atleast what we were going for. Todd Ryan has made some fine tunings to the technique since '93 no doubt. The backwards technique was never a straight-leg ala Cadets nor was it a pick your feet up and squat ala Cavies. You were allowed to have some knee bend as the legs were crossing but the idea was to be "up on the platform" and straight on the down beats.

I don't think we as a corps got close to the desired style and uniformity until '93. Todd came in in '89 from Madison. Look at Madison '88 to get an idea of outstanding marching technique and the standard he was aiming for. When you consider that the whiplash 200+bpm shows of Zingali in '90 and '91 were not the norm back then, it took awhile to not only teach the technique to a new set of people, but to refine it for the much faster tempos. Star was still a work in progress as far as marching technique was concerned back in '93 although it was their best marching corps IMO (especially on foot technique...not to be confused with lower body techniique). I think Todd's perfected the high speed technique with BD.

This .........

Thread done!