Crossmen

DCFAN

Also, why is Goldberg not part of the design team?

That is one very good question. This will be his what? 9th year on staff? 3rd as caption head. Still not on the design team? Hmm...I would like to know why as well.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guidry is an easy scapegoat. Truth of the matter is there was more than one area of concern responsible for the Crossmen finishing so poorly last summer. They have addressed several enormous concerns with this announcement, and filled those positions with proven folks who are more than capable of giving them what they need to be successful. And for those members of the corps who are having a field day with this, ask yourself why you weren't able to perform your show consistently well at a higher level of achievement last summer. If you want to blame Aaron Guidry for that, feel free. Your ire is misplaced. When you're competing at the borderline of making finals level, excellence is what gets you in or keeps you out. Guidry's work may not have been the best last summer, and I agree that he still has work to do in terms of meeting the challenges of what's expected at the DCI world class level, but your refusal to shine the spotlight on your corps' other areas of blatant deficiency does you no good in moving forward from here. Thankfully, the people running your corps ARE looking more at the bigger picture. And hey, for all anyone knows, Guidry still might not work out there. But the areas they addressed are definitely the right ones.

I am hopefully that the design team upgrades will be able to push Guidry's music in a slightly different direction. He is obviously immensely talented, and I have hope that he could put out some good music from 4 jazz charts.

Maybe my hope is misplaced, but I would really like to see the Crossmen see what they could do with some jazz. They stopped playing jazz, and stopped being in finals.

Obviously no one was happy with how things worked out last year and it seems like some of those are being addressed. Hopefully it will be a good season.

Edited by soccerguy315

I know for a fact that Guidry being around effects vet retention at the least. And unless Guidry has had a change of heart, he doesn't work with anyone. And he would have to change his writing style. IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE FOR DRUM CORPS, or anything... saw one of his marching band shows last night... not effective. His books have no impact points. Almost every impact point in the 08 and 09 shows were re-writes done on the road, taught by rote, by Aaron Goldberg. All his writing is a bunch of different non musical lines crescendoing to a small ineffective impact (usually a quarter note)... and that was the drill he got last year. The music never stops, so the drill can never stop.

Honestly, the recaps say visual was the problem... the reason the visual suffered was because of the music the drill had to be written too.

Maybe Guidry will actually work with people now... maybe he will show his face around the corps... but I've seen no proof that he actually works as a team with anyone.

I'm not saying that they didn't need a change in the areas that they changed... they just didn't change enough.

I know for a fact that Guidry being around effects vet retention at the least. And unless Guidry has had a change of heart, he doesn't work with anyone. And he would have to change his writing style. IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE FOR DRUM CORPS, or anything... saw one of his marching band shows last night... not effective. His books have no impact points. Almost every impact point in the 08 and 09 shows were re-writes done on the road, taught by rote, by Aaron Goldberg. All his writing is a bunch of different non musical lines crescendoing to a small ineffective impact (usually a quarter note)... and that was the drill he got last year. The music never stops, so the drill can never stop.

Honestly, the recaps say visual was the problem... the reason the visual suffered was because of the music the drill had to be written too.

Maybe Guidry will actually work with people now... maybe he will show his face around the corps... but I've seen no proof that he actually works as a team with anyone.

Haha....wow that sucks. No wonder every recent xmen alum is throwing him under the bus.

Anyone else know why does the corps have to pay for a writer, and then pay for someone to arrange his music?

Anyone else know why does the corps have to pay for a writer, and then pay for someone to arrange his music?

Because that is how Mark Chambers did it with Reagan?... there is even room for improvement there, with the orchestrating... it would probably be easier though if she was given a better book to orchestrate... or just get an actual brass arranger who will do the whole job.

Doesn't that sound wrong though, someone who writes for brass, but doesn't know enough to actually write the brass parts...