Star United

At the 2006 Congress the rule was changed to read, "21 members plus one major who may not play.

Man I enjoy this Video!

Hey Ed,

We did in fact have 22 playing members on the field Sunday night.

One of our mellos couldn't do our show with the Illinois Brass Band in June, so Angela, a former member of Cap Regiment and Brigs was with us all year to cover that gig. And I think I can say unequivocally, that we were all thrilled to have with us in Rochester and to have her perform with us on Sunday Night.

That is what being a great member is all about. The willingness to do whatever the group needs without complaint or regret.

My hat is off to you Angela!

Although, did we really need 19 of them little horns and only two tubas, geesh! :innocent:

• Like 1

Well Jeff, we could have three tubas if you could convince a certain shadowy individual to come play with us. :innocent:

Those are some awesome videos. It was great of Dave to post them. Thanks.

Hey Ed,

We did in fact have 22 playing members on the field Sunday night.

One of our mellos couldn't do our show with the Illinois Brass Band in June, so Angela, a former member of Cap Regiment and Brigs was with us all year to cover that gig. And I think I can say unequivocally, that we were all thrilled to have with us in Rochester and to have her perform with us on Sunday Night.

That is what being a great member is all about. The willingness to do whatever the group needs without complaint or regret.

My hat is off to you Angela!

Although, did we really need 19 of them little horns and only two tubas, geesh! :innocent:

I figured it was something like that.

October 6 - exactly one month. I guess I lost the over/under on "first post to recognize that we had too many members" in exhibition. I didn't think it would take that long.

I want to second Jeff's praise of Angela as the ultimate team player. When life intervenes, it is difficult to integrate new members into our show in the final weeks of the season. Angela was there for every moment of SU09, knowing that she wasn't going to perform on the stage on Friday night, but she could have gone in at a moments notice - an insurance policy we were lucky to have.

To get ahead of any other conspiracy theories: we did construct our visual program with a built-in "hole" in the forms, but put the "hole" in places where it wouldn't look like a hole, like the point of a "V". This was not an assumption that we would win, but a "built in" plan for performing the show with 19 horns instead of 18.

We were fortunate to have a person that was willing to be our lone "alternate" without the opportunity to complete at mini-corps finals. I hope the DCA and mini-corps community will understand that we saw the finals exhibition as a way to allow her to perform the show with us in a drum corps setting. Nothing more, nothing less. If anyone has any questions about this unique situations, please feel free to contact me directly.

On another note, I really have to thank the Defenders Alumni Corps for allowing me to sit in at rehearsal last night. I took a few pictures to document the first time I got to play jazz in drum corps. I could not have had a better time. Thank you!

Ah, so that's why my ears were burning. :innocent:

I feel like I should include my "happy just being nominated" speech here, but long story short, Star United gave me such a wonderful opportunity this year by letting me sit in and learn from some of the best instructors and musicians in the activity. They went way above and beyond by letting me tag along and jump in whenever feasible, and I'll be forever grateful. It's still a little tricky to find all-age groups near central Indiana, and I still can't believe how lucky I've been. Love you guys!

-Angela

Edited by amzoss

I just saw the hit list for people viewing this - amazing... many thousands... I hope you all enjoy and appreciate Dave's hard work.

Yes, we are! Thank you Dave! I tried to leave a comment on Dave's site, but kept getting error messages. You are greatly appreciated Dave...Thank you :angel1:

Ah, so that's why my ears were burning. :-)

I feel like I should include my "happy just being nominated" speech here, but long story short, Star United gave me such a wonderful opportunity this year by letting me sit in and learn from some of the best instructors and musicians in the activity. They went way above and beyond by letting me tag along and jump in whenever feasible, and I'll be forever grateful. It's still a little tricky to find all-age groups near central Indiana, and I still can't believe how lucky I've been. Love you guys!

Angela, we were very fortunate to have you in the corps, you are family. I was so happy to see you on the field Sunday night. You deserved it! We love you too Sista! See you soon! :innocent:

BTW, you go Sean! I didn't know you got to sit in and play. That's awesome. :cool:

We were fortunate to have a person that was willing to be our lone "alternate" without the opportunity to complete at mini-corps finals. I hope the DCA and mini-corps community will understand that we saw the finals exhibition as a way to allow her to perform the show with us in a drum corps setting. Nothing more, nothing less. If anyone has any questions about this unique situations, please feel free to contact me directly.

I absolutely think you did the right thing. To not include her for the finals exhibition just seems very wrong to me. Great job Star. It is a pleasure trying to measure up. Although I do think our Minne Brass "Super Hero" shirts were somewhat "Star-ish".

October 6 - exactly one month. I guess I lost the over/under on "first post to recognize that we had too many members" in exhibition. I didn't think it would take that long.

I want to second Jeff's praise of Angela as the ultimate team player. When life intervenes, it is difficult to integrate new members into our show in the final weeks of the season. Angela was there for every moment of SU09, knowing that she wasn't going to perform on the stage on Friday night, but she could have gone in at a moments notice - an insurance policy we were lucky to have.

To get ahead of any other conspiracy theories: we did construct our visual program with a built-in "hole" in the forms, but put the "hole" in places where it wouldn't look like a hole, like the point of a "V". This was not an assumption that we would win, but a "built in" plan for performing the show with 19 horns instead of 18.

On another note, I really have to thank the Defenders Alumni Corps for allowing me to sit in at rehearsal last night. I took a few pictures to document the first time I got to play jazz in drum corps. I could not have had a better time. Thank you!

Sean,

I had a great time hanging out last night. I'm glad you enjoyed the Defenders, we have fun and the acoustics are awesome at the Rec. See you soon. Next time, Boston Lime Rickey's on me!!

Alden