Again, Is it just me?

My very first show as a fan was at South Park in Pittsburgh 1960 (I think) ....when the Cabs started marking time with the "Rumps"....off the line.......the lime dust created such a cloud it almost seemed sur-real and I think, for a brief moment, the Corps' actually dissappeared.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first show as a fan was at South Park in Pittsburgh 1960 (I think) ....when the Cabs started marking time with the "Rumps"....off the line.......the lime dust created such a cloud it almost seemed sur-real and I think, for a brief moment, the Corps' actually dissappeared.

That's an awesome memory!!!

Thanx for sharing!!

One of my all time favorite recordings, (naturally), is 1976 DCA. In Bucs opener, "Meadowlands"; the corps is playing back field before a big hit and the rifles are spinning and you hear the straps, slapping to the music, with a sharp slap on all the musical hits.

Man! better than a pit! Love it.

One of my all time favorite recordings, (naturally), is 1976 DCA. In Bucs opener, "Meadowlands"; the corps is playing back field before a big hit and the rifles are spinning and you hear the straps, slapping to the music, with a sharp slap on all the musical hits.

Wow! Thanx!

I'll have to add that to the playlist and listen to it.

Oooh... I just found it and added it coming up soon.... hope you are tuned in... Enjoy!!

Just had a "Flash-Back" to the 1960's. Won't mention the Senior Corps' but, if memory serves me correctly, they were disquified and/ or at least penelized for playing "Meadowlands" which is the Russian National Anthem. We're talking cold war era here. Pretty sure it was an American Legion show.

Just had a "Flash-Back" to the 1960's. Won't mention the Senior Corps' but, if memory serves me correctly, they were disquified and/ or at least penelized for playing "Meadowlands" which is the Russian National Anthem. We're talking cold war era here. Pretty sure it was an American Legion show.

Our horn instructor/arranger back then was Tony Yaklich and being Russian, we played a lot of Russian music by various composers through the years.

Speaking of rifle tossing, there was Ray Dandridge with Sky in 1963. The cat was off the chart. Then there's the Sunrisers rifle toss over the entire corps in the early 60's during the color pre. You can hear the crowd give a wow on that one. I think that was Duke Jordan and Frank Cevasco (SP)? By the way, those were "real" regulation rifles they tossed.

But, in my mind, nothing can match the 1965 Casper Troopers suicide tossing with rifles surrounding Pete Emmons flipping them back and forth just inches from his head.

Edited by gsksun4

Speaking of rifle tossing, there was Ray Dandridge with Sky in 1963. The cat was off the chart. Then there's the Sunrisers rifle toss over the entire corps in the early 60's during the color pre. You can hear the crowd give a wow on that one. I think that was Duke Jordan and Frank Sevasco (SP)? By the way, those were "real" regulation rifles they tossed.

I believe at one point during the show Ray used to twirl and toss two regulation Army rifles ... I think there's a pic of him from Carnegie Hall DCN ... Ray came to Sky from the Carver Gay Blades ...

:-)