Again, Is it just me?

Speaking of rifle tossing, there was Ray Dandridge with Sky in 1963. The cat was off the chart. Then there's the Sunrisers rifle toss over the entire corps in the early 60's during the color pre. You can hear the crowd give a wow on that one. I think that was Duke Jordan and Frank Sevasco (SP)? By the way, those were "real" regulation rifles they tossed.

But, in my mind, nothing can match the 1965 Casper Troopers suicide tossing with rifles surrounding Pete Emmons flipping them back and forth just inches from his head.

Ever see Toronto Optimists "Fixed Bayonet Drill" ...? (early 1960's) Ya...real Bayonets on regulation 9 lb. rifles. If memory serves me correctly.....two rifle bearers back to back take a couple steps away from each other turn 180 degrees and LUNGE at each other with the Bayonets ending up between each others armpit. Now THAT'S impressive. :satisfied:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever see Toronto Optimists "Fixed Bayonet Drill" ...? (early 1960's) Ya...real Bayonets on regulation 9 lb. rifles. If memory serves me correctly.....two rifle bearers back to back take a couple steps away from each other turn 180 degrees and LUNGE at each other with the Bayonets ending up between each others armpit. Now THAT'S impressive. :satisfied:

In my junior corps, we tied the drum major to a wheel, spun the wheel and threw daggers at him.

OK, that's a stretch..................

While not as impressive as the bayonets, while Selden was practicing in a shopping center parking lot, a cop had his eyes on the girls in the guard a drove his squad car into a light pole. True story.

I believe at one point during the show Ray used to twirl and toss two regulation Army rifles ... I think there's a pic of him from Carnegie Hall DCN ... Ray came to Sky from the Carver Gay Blades ...

:-)

Andy, while at the A.L. States in Rochester (Aquinas I think) in 63, we (Selden) were at the top of the stadium on the back side stands, and Sky was getting ready to hit the field. There he was throwing that rifle and I can still here Felton "Sonny" Owens (RIP) yelling down to him, "Go get em Ray"!!!

The good old days.

If anyone has the recording of St. Kevin's in Detroit for the VFW Nationals (don't remember the year), you can hear the whole corps marking time - on grass.

Spine-chilling!!!

That was 1960. The year of the penalty.

Also, the recording of the 65 VFW Nationals in McCormick Place.

You can hear many corps marking time. The Troopers really stand out.

You can also hear some fans comments now and then. The crowd was standing right on the boundry lines.

There were some interesting exchanges between marching members and spectators along the back field line.

Then there's the Sunrisers rifle toss over the entire corps in the early 60's during the color pre. You can hear the crowd give a wow on that one. I think that was Duke Jordan and Frank Cevasco (SP)? By the way, those were "real" regulation rifles they tossed.

Here's one of the pics.... :blink:

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196...65_rifles.shtml

Or does anyone else out there LOVE the old recordings that bring visuals like: *Rifle spins* and *High Mark Time* to an audio *HIGH*!!

One great example of this can be found on the 1971 DCA recording of the Pittsburg Rockets. After completing their colour presentation of "Patton" the guard captain call for an "order arms". The ensuing swish and click of the banner section positioned up in front of the microphones is deadly, causing a collective gasp and applause from the crowd. A great drum corps moment...

Ever see Toronto Optimists "Fixed Bayonet Drill" ...? (early 1960's) Ya...real Bayonets on regulation 9 lb. rifles. If memory serves me correctly.....two rifle bearers back to back take a couple steps away from each other turn 180 degrees and LUNGE at each other with the Bayonets ending up between each others armpit. Now THAT'S impressive. :tongue:

Didn't the Hamburg Kingsmen do a three man routine with bayonets as well?

• 2 months later...
Didn't the Hamburg Kingsmen do a three man routine with bayonets as well?

Yes the years that I marched with the kingsmen we had by far the best rifle squad in drum corps. They used 9lb rifles with fixed bayonets and even made a toss facing back to back over my head during one of my solos

Yes the years that I marched with the kingsmen we had by far the best rifle squad in drum corps. They used 9lb rifles with fixed bayonets and even made a toss facing back to back over my head during one of my solos

If you thought that the 12 original Anaheim Kingsmen rifles were great to watch you should have seen the breathtaking performance of the 21 female rifles that they had in their Kingsmen Alumni Corps (KAC) field show at the DCI Championships in the "Rose Bowl" in Aug. 2007. Military precision at it's best!

Edited by royal-air canada

If you thought that the 12 original Anaheim Kingsmen rifles were great to watch you should have seen the breathtaking performance of the 21 female rifles that they had in their Kingsmen Alumni Corps (KAC) field show at the DCI Championships in the "Rose Bowl" in Aug. 2007. Military precision at it's best!

I was referring to the hamburg kingsman in my post. they used 9lb rifles not balsa It was at a time when corps were starting to use the balsa ones