Madison Scouts Audition Process & Tuition

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the $80 too much? I don't know... but it's consistent with last year.

Last year for $80 did people who audition receive housing for the weekend? With food and instruction?

For some people this year, $80 might get you a letter saying "better luck next year" and thank you for your video.

I thought this was a great idea when I thought the audition was merely going to cost someone the time to shoot a short video and the cost of postage (ala what SCV did last year, or what other corps have done in the past). Now, the audition might cost someone $80 and in return rejected young men will get, at best, a short letter telling them what to work on for next year.

I think this is a good idea in concept (sending a video to cut through the first wave of hacks not good enough to make it in order to save time/money at a weekend camp to house/feed people not having a chance to make the corps), but I don't know if paying $80 is the best execution. I think it might be genius if it works out OK, but it could just as easily backfire; if nothing else, it's been the first bit of "controversy" (VERY minor off-season type of controversy) in a month of uber-hype about the upcoming season.

Last year for $80 did people who audition receive housing for the weekend? With food and instruction?

For some people this year, $80 might get you a letter saying "better luck next year" and thank you for your video.

I thought this was a great idea when I thought the audition was merely going to cost someone the time to shoot a short video and the cost of postage (ala what SCV did last year, or what other corps have done in the past). Now, the audition might cost someone $80 and in return rejected young men will get, at best, a short letter telling them what to work on for next year.

I think this is a good idea in concept (sending a video to cut through the first wave of hacks not good enough to make it in order to save time/money at a weekend camp to house/feed people not having a chance to make the corps), but I don't know if paying $80 is the best execution. I think it might be genius if it works out OK, but it could just as easily backfire; if nothing else, it's been the first bit of "controversy" (VERY minor off-season type of controversy) in a month of uber-hype about the upcoming season.

not really controversy...just us Monday morning types attempting to tweak the idea.

My thought is $80 plus the effort of creating it....should be worth at minimal...

1. 2 instructors reviewing the audition (one for playing one for marching?)

2. Analysis from each instructor. Difficiencies, etc.

3. Status. Where do I stand?

4. Suggested sources for improvement.

This should be regardless of whether I am invited to the December camp or not.

If this occurs, it might be worth a kid's $80.

If it's just a rejection form letter...then it would be a tougher decision. I might spend $80 on auditioning with another corps if I wanted to do drum corps so badly. There were higher placing corps last year with regional locations across the country where I would have a choice of a live audition. I might take that option instead or in addition to the Scouts video audition.

So, there's one advantage...I can audition for the Scouts and regardless...go in person to a Novemebr audition camp of a corps who placed higher than the Scouts.

http://www.madisonscouts.org/Madison_Scouts/Auditions_2.html

You upload the video there isn't postage.

If I remember correctly, no housing, meals or instruction were provided at the initial audition camps last year, since they weren't 2-day events. Many of these were regional auditions where someone would video you for a few minutes, and that person was not necessarily from your section or a decision maker. They would then bring back these videos for further review, and invite people back to the next camp (which included instruction, meals and housing). So this new formula isn't really that much different than last year.

It appears that the biggest concern is what you get for the $80, whether it's a form letter or a more detailed explanation of why you didn't make the initial cut. Seems these video auditions also leave room for later callbacks, as those who change their commitments for various reasons leave holes.

Edited by Linda Slocum

I'm probably going to be shot for this, but I'm shocked that tuition is that low. My guesstimate was $4-5k. I have a 13 year old daughter that wants to try out for a corps when she's 16. I'm all for it now.

Someone might have brought this up already, but it's very relevant how long before the November camp the Scouts tell you whether you've made that first cut or not. I know I've already bought my plane tickets for Crown's November camp (and will be getting the December ones soonish) since ticket prices go up drastically the closer it gets to the travel date. I think it'd be best to have the video as an optional but strongly recommended component, since I do think it's a great idea to get that early feedback for where you stand. However, if they respond just a few weeks before the camps, it would probably be better financially to buy your plane tickets far in advance.

I'm probably going to be shot for this, but I'm shocked that tuition is that low. My guesstimate was $4-5k. I have a 13 year old daughter that wants to try out for a corps when she's 16. I'm all for it now.

Yeah, but that "gender reassignment" operation to get her into a Scouts audition will probably blow that budget right out of the water. :satisfied:

I'm still pretty confident if you show up for the weekend with your instrument, they won't turn you down, even if you haven't sent a video.

they are all under $3k (not including travel to and from winter camps) for now.

Someone might have brought this up already, but it's very relevant how long before the November camp the Scouts tell you whether you've made that first cut or not. I know I've already bought my plane tickets for Crown's November camp (and will be getting the December ones soonish) since ticket prices go up drastically the closer it gets to the travel date. I think it'd be best to have the video as an optional but strongly recommended component, since I do think it's a great idea to get that early feedback for where you stand. However, if they respond just a few weeks before the camps, it would probably be better financially to buy your plane tickets far in advance.

yeah...although that would be a nice thing...not expecting it. Each corps will take the time necessary to determine who will get an invite to the next camp. Some invitees and non-invitees will be obvious. Others, it will be a tough call one way or the other.

My advice would be to take as many opportunities as you can afford to regardless. Just because you may want one corps...sometimes...when you see things a little more up close...you change your mind.

Treat it like any other interview/audition you are going to encounter the rest of your life. Go...do your best and judge the future of each opportunity on whether it is ultimately going to be a good fit for you. If it is and it's a good fit for the organization, you will most likely succeed. If it's not a good fit on either party's end, it's good to find out quickly and move on.

That's why an in person, weekend audition is ideal. You get a real opportunity to be introduced to the organization AT THEIR BEST. If you see cracks beneath the veneer on what should be their "show off" weekend...don't walk...run. And they should expect the BEST from you. If your best isn't good enough, they should be honest with you by the time you go home that weekend.

The biggest issue comes with those 10-12 bubble folks....because there's always some flaky vets who string the corps along until March or April and then bail.

So, the best thing...keep in touch...and take to heart and work on everything they told you to work on...even if you were rejected. Contact the caption head and ask if you can get a 2nd or third horn part for the show music, etc. Make yourself the guy they call in April when they have a flake out occur. Weirder things have happened.