The history of the Westshoremen

I honestly don't recall much of that time of year, or what we did in finals..it's odd that I seem to remember more about the beginning and middle of the season, than I do of the end? (Heck I don't even remember where finals was held that year)

What I DO remember was at the beginning of the next year, hearing that Bobbie G from Rochester was joining, and that our timp line was going to take a turn for the better, knowing what he did with the Crusaders! (So I decided to hold off on trying out for the tom line or go to the bass line as Randy Barry was trying to get me to do...I went to high school with Randy, so he was always in my ear about it) One thing about 80, was we didn't expect to be topping Sunrisers?!?! That in and of itself was a surprise that just felt good (In a way, since I because a closet Sun fan) but to me that was the first "elite" corps I ever got to beat. The other corps were good, but Sun had a mystique that lent itself to a "WOW!" factor when we beat them for the first time.

finals were in Hershey :ph34r:

wasn't just him....Hoov and Kominsky too. In fact, they demonstrated it in 96 at the "83 tenor reunion" they threw together in 5 minutes in Cumberland MD. too funny seeing them try to play the 83 feature on 5 drums

Not sure why they need so many drums now...we got it done with THREE!!!! :ph34r:

I just saw that Dan and Dave became friends on FB recently...I told them all we need is for Hoov to get with the program and we can have the reunion at Serenade next year! :ph34r:

S**t...I just noticed this stupid little guy ---> :ph34r: Looks like

<------- THIS stupid little guy! :ph34r:

Un-freaking-CANNY!!

Not sure why they need so many drums now...we got it done with THREE!!!! :ph34r:

I just saw that Dan and Dave became friends on FB recently...I told them all we need is for Hoov to get with the program and we can have the reunion at Serenade next year! :ph34r:

Hoov will already be there, count on it

I WISH there was more video of those years! I don't have squat of Westshore, and I have two horrible videos from my Buc's years...

I spoke to Hoover at length about this- there are some videos extant, he's been trying to format them to DVD evidently.

I know the Allentown PBS Station did the 1977 and or 1978 DCA Championships- someone needs to see if they have anything in their archives. I also know they did DCI East Finals one year in like 82 or 83- When Crossmen did Explosion.

S**t...I just noticed this stupid little guy ---> :ph34r: Looks like

<------- THIS stupid little guy! :ph34r:

Un-freaking-CANNY!!

You look a lot better, actually. :thumbup:

Eventually I'll have to get some shots of my ugly mug up here. In due time.

Late night at work. Thinking more and more about stuff. Hoping Fran is reading some of this. He might be able to help from a different perspective. The more I think about it, us guys who marched back then were really involved in some interesting times for the activity in general. Serious transitions. the DCI corps shows really beginning to become more and more different from DCA shows, etc. Better educated people getting more and more involved. So many things to appreciate and make me feel good I marched when I did so I have an appreciation and respect for the old schoolers and also what's going on now.

Time for :thumbup:

I know the Allentown PBS Station did the 1977 and or 1978 DCA Championships- someone needs to see if they have anything in their archives. I also know they did DCI East Finals one year in like 82 or 83- When Crossmen did Explosion.

Guy I knew in college (Finleyville Royal Crusader) saw the 1977 broadcast which was a highlights done after the show. We got a few seconds of our concert of "Big Band Thing" so everyone was standing around. :ph34r: Cabs website have what could be from the broadcast which was their whole show for some reason. :ph34r:

I WISH there was more video of those years! I don't have squat of Westshore, and I have two horrible videos from my Buc's years...

I spoke to Hoover at length about this- there are some videos extant, he's been trying to format them to DVD evidently.

Skee has some video from some years...I know he had a bunch of Bucs stuff, and MAY have some other corps..but he doesn't admit to much (I know at one time people used to bug the crap out of him for copies, so that may be why he's tight lipped about it) I recall seeing some stuff from 79 & 80 back when he was my high school drum instructor, he'd bring some video to rehearsals and we'd watch it on breaks.

When did you march Bucs?

I remember the cruddy broadcast that PBS did of East, the sound reeked, and the camera work was pretty sketchy. I also think that they did 78 as well, I remember seeing some senior corps stuff (In fact as I'm thinking about it, Bowser called me and said "Put on 33, Westshore's on" and I caught some of that show.) Hopefully someone has stuff, but if I can venture a guess, it was all probably erased and the tapes were reused after the broadcasts. I recently read an article about concert footage that existed, that was erased because the various places re-used that overly expensive video tape! (ok, it WAS the 70's and early 80's and video tape wasn't as easy to obtain as it was later on)

Allentown DCA was 77...i am trying to get my copy onto dvd. DCI east was 80

Allentown DCA was 77...i am trying to get my copy onto dvd. DCI east was 80

What format do you have? Just had a VHS converted to DVD at Carlisle Camera on the Pike (few blocks east of Sporting Hill Rd). Price wasn't bad ($20) and old places I had convert from Super8 to VHS and VHS to DVD went under years ago, so that's my best guess.