The history of the Westshoremen

Since Ben brought up the Bongos, I lay claim to what we called them.

Ben played in the horn line after the percussion feature in '83 with that tight-as-sin roll and kick in "No More Blues", and a couple of people in the Baris were stuffing up the entrance, I said, "Guys, just wait for the Chumley drums to kick in."

Baldy about splits his sides, says "Yeah, Wait for the Chumley Drums!" :thumbup:

Anyhow, we gotta be there at 7 on Friday at the Forum!?!?!? I'm looking foward to it!

yep, Friday we add another chapter to the legacy. However, W has to finish the early 80's before I can start the late 80's and on

Just me...PVC pipe. I remember one of the tom players from Erie had a set that were 6" & 8" Slingerland bongos (they had the same tom set ups we did as well 12, 14, 16) and those buggers were TWICE as heavy!!! We traded drums before a show one week, and he was going to steal mine because they were a lot lighter! My back wouldn't have taken that.

I think I went through about 5 or 6 sets of them though. Jeff Kintz, who was teaching CV at the time, made them by the dozens!

I just looked...all of the pictures on my FB page are with the Pearl toms....

I will post some pix of you with your BIG BONGOS ! woot woot

Since Ben brought up the Bongos, I lay claim to what we called them.

Ben played in the horn line after the percussion feature in '83 with that tight-as-sin roll and kick in "No More Blues", and a couple of people in the Baris were stuffing up the entrance, I said, "Guys, just wait for the Chumley drums to kick in."

Baldy about splits his sides, says "Yeah, Wait for the Chumley Drums!" :thumbup:

Anyhow, we gotta be there at 7 on Friday at the Forum!?!?!? I'm looking foward to it!

Sweet! all these years later I listen to that roll and think WOW, I had some hands! :worthy:

(now I use them for evil :devil: )

I will post some pix of you with your BIG BONGOS ! woot woot

:thumbup:

Sweet! all these years later I listen to that roll and think WOW, I had some hands! :worthy:

(now I use them for evil :devil: )

you had hands. I wish I had video of Serenade 84

you had hands. I wish I had video of Serenade 84

That night I had FEET too! :thumbup:

Yeah...video of that WOULD be cool!

Here are some pics from Friday's practice.

Figures my best shots included Ream... :satisfied:

DSCF1637.jpg

DSCF1676.jpg

Here's a good one of Swerv. I relized shutting off the flash would help, and it did... I'm still working on that sort of stuff and learning.

DSCF1679.jpg

Also, some Bari action with Frank! I couldn't leave out the Baris. :thumbup:

DSCF1651.jpg

So this should hype up some people if you see it before practice this morning! :thumbup:

Edited by BigW

Great show! And it was fun getting to see a lot of you and some others! I ran into Moyer when I was taking the discs to Jeff and he just said hi, when I walked back through he realized who I was and gave me a big hug! what a surprise!! Then he said to those standing around him..."Hey you've heard of the 'legend of Chumley' THIS is Chumley!" Funny stuff! I also got to talk to Hoover a little. I met Wally and Ruth out in the lobby, then Dave Rohrer outside!

I saw BigW, but didn't get a chance to talk with him (Nice solo bud!!!)

Great to meet Hairbair and Tony! (although I'm positive I've talked to Tony back in the old daze....when I was in Readings pit in 84, I talked to probably ALL of the DM's from whomever was on before us.)

The show was great! Sorry to see it go, hard to stay "dry eyed" throughout. "Blues" hit home big time!! (then when Bridgemen played most of their 78 show I was done! If they would have played Hymn to the last whale, they would have had to carry me out of there)

We should meet for a beer.....

Thanks, man. :cool:

I looked around and ran into a ton of people and met a few more at the party. Wish I'da seen yah, Ben.

I think we've always done fine and done well- but this time, I thnik we really put on a WESTSHORE show and performance. A show where we showed people what the corps was about- driving jazz, quality music, and quality performances from the entire ensemble, and also, the moments where we were just kicking back and relaxed with the audience, too.

I think we had a better than we've had connection to the audience, period. A really electric thing happened Saturday, something everyone will take with them.

Was fun to be a Drum Corps Hero again, now I have to come down off it, but that will take awhile.

And yeah we need to do dinner, a beer, or something.

I do know I'm planning on the summer event again as well. :thumbup:

I have Brass Quintet practice Wednesday evening, and I'm worried if I can play. Right now, I really don't think it would be a good idea to touch a horn. Not that it hurts, but it just feels blown out. :thumbup: