Whats the typically note range for trumpets in world class?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say, generally, that you would have to comfortably be able to play up to a high C. That is C above the staff.

I'd say, generally, that you would have to comfortably be able to play up to a high C. That is C above the staff.

O really??? Thats a relief since I can comfortably play E's above the staff.....I was worried that my limited range could be a problem when auditioning for a corps. I plan on attending a crossmen camp in a couple weeks :D

O really??? Thats a relief since I can comfortably play E's above the staff.....I was worried that my limited range could be a problem when auditioning for a corps. I plan on attending a crossmen camp in a couple weeks :D

I think the lead players at crossmen last year (experience camps) were playing around the high e/f range..

just from what ive heard at the only corps show ive been to, I never heard leads consistantly play above high C all the time, there were time yes where they were D's E's F's and a G or two but usually from what I saw they just hung out around high C all day long :cool: minus the blue devils. (generalization of course) I wish I knew whoever did crowns double G thing, I sat right infront of the guy at murfreesboro, props to him I liked it.

Not a trumpet player (baritone), but to venture a guess, I would assume that 90% of corps, even in the upper echelon of WC care way more about your tone quality and breathing and basic technique than they do range. Whatever your range is, you lose a few steps anyway becuase of the beating of playing and marching everyday (essentially turning you lips into leather....albeit leather that can play a 12 minute show very well). If you play with amazing tone and technique, but cant hit a high C to save your life, I doubt many corps will be cutting you...

I played 3rd trumpet, lower lead, and upper lead over my years. I could comfortably play a C when I was a 3rd, but never came close to playing that high. When I was a lower lead, I could play up to an E, and when I was upper I played up to a G. It doesn't matter how high you can play, what matters is what kind of tone you produce in that range.

Alright. Thanks to everybody for your replies :D

This is good news since I def. didn't plan on playing the lead part....I'm only 16 years old, but my tone quality, breathing technique, and marching Is all (From what I've been told by judges and directors) very superior for my age. I still fill somewhat Intimidated going up with collage kids though. Oh well it never hurt to try, I'll still try out and if I don't make it then theres always next year :)

Edited by Lawlz

Agreed. I wouldn't worry much about your range, but rather worry about getting a good sound out of your trumpet.