High School Copies

i saw a band do scv 06.... it was called motion, and they had mr moto, same music, a vanguard yell moment, and they left the field the same way.... they did a terrible job... and in the same competition i saw a band do the company front step over the guard that crown did in 08 then they had a crown drill set.... everyone boooed

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already... but Gainesville High School basically did Phantom's 03 show (pretty much same music with different, easier drill) and did a darn good job (they won the 3A state title in Florida in 2008).

They could do what I did…

Have their parents hire University Profs for private lessons (on 3 different instruments) and join a drum corps… by the time I got to high school, band was such a waste…if not for the sports exemption for a few years that meant I didn't have to show up for the fall session and could still get a grade and credit, I would have never bothered with it

Schools are failing in so many other areas, why waste the resources on band programs. Generally, I think most people that push for band programs are music Ed major so they can remain employed with their rather thin musical and teaching abilities

right...because with what these guys charge, and especially with the economy as it is, they can afford these guys :rolleyes:

think for a second...many of us in here would never have succeeded without school music programs, which, IMO, prove to help kids a hell of a lot more than football, field hockey, baseball.....but you dont see those getting cut do you?

I was there because my own former high school's band director is retiring at the end of the school year, after 24 years there (and eleven more elsewhere). His was the largest group appearing at this year's state finals, with 248 members -- down from 339 six years ago. The impression I got was of continuous marching that never got anywhere, because there was no room to move. But it was cleanly done and the music sufficently difficult and properly controlled. So for all their unwieldy size, they received a "superior" (OMEA allows only for rating, not ranking, at state -- which they also don't call a "competition") as they have every year since 1990 -- the season after I graduated. We/they were much smaller through the early nineties: just 120 in my senior year, for instance, and then the school was in the "A" category.

Which is a roundabout way of returning to the original question. In 1989, to help us understand a bit of drill he'd scripted, our director showed us a brief clip of the DCI finals PBS broadcast from which he'd lifted the idea. I'm sure we marched it rather slower than the corps in question -- if he named them at the time, it didn't stick. More than ten years passed before I got hold of a video myself and learned that what we'd seen and borrowed from was the Freelancers, in their E.T. / Empire of the Sun show. Our musicials selections were completely different, however: "Caravan" and some Ellington.

If you're talking about North Royalton, I was in that band when we were at a whopping 326 members back in 03. We played the music from Cadets 2000 show, but we remained much truer to the original work rather than just copying the Cadets. I'm actually very proud of that show for that particular reason.

This video 'only' has 296 band members (as we had substitutes). If you only watch one part of the show, the ending is well worth it.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...0536&ref=ss

(Our colorguard is always made up of those who spin flags/rifles, and those who dance)

Despite our massive size, we were NOT (and still really aren't) loaded with money. I didn't pay a dime to march my freshman year, and we didn't get any money from the school to help pay for instruments and such. Though I'm sure the school had to shell out a LOT of money to pay for our 8-10 busses for away games and band contests.

My sophomore or junior year, a $25 fee was installed to help pay the colorguard and percussion techs.

My senior year we were 'down' to 278 band members.

I was lucky to have Uni Profs living on my block or near by and well connected parents. They could often hear me practice (or not), talk about pressure.

But if you have relied on public education solely for your musical education up until age 18, it's doubtful you'll have the chops to make a living as a professional musician. I'd say the same about ice skating, basketball and most sports and activities

Sure, you can pick up a guitar rather late in life and maybe score a pop hit but pop music is often not based upon musicianship. So why pretend? If you want to be a professional musician there are other options to learn at a level that will allow you to potentially compete for a professional playing gig. Schools should prepare you for the real world of pay checks and bills

All too often, too much time and energy in high school band is spent baby sitting the window lickers and spazes – it's a real turn off and a waste

as someone married to a public school music educator, i can thank God you don't really have a clue just how incorrect and offensive your comments are.

signed, someone who would never have gotten where I have without public school music education

I don't remember the name of the band, but at the Las Vegas BOA Regional in 2004 a band was wearing the Blue Devils' 94-03 uniforms (I heard they bought them from the Blue Devils, but can't say for sure) and played Madison's 2003 show.

The few of us who understood what happened laughed, and kept asking people if they saw the Blue Devils play the Madison Scouts.

I don't remember the name of the band, but at the Las Vegas BOA Regional in 2004 a band was wearing the Blue Devils' 94-03 uniforms (I heard they bought them from the Blue Devils, but can't say for sure) and played Madison's 2003 show.

The few of us who understood what happened laughed, and kept asking people if they saw the Blue Devils play the Madison Scouts.

It might've been Rio Rancho from New Mexico, if I remember right. One of the guys from Pioneer 2007 had gone to that high school.

That's true, but it's a little different. In most of the cases you listed above there was a staff member from the corps that also was on staff of that band. Sort of a "test show", to see if it would work for the corps on the field. I don't really think of that as copying, just kind of a design exercise.

just my thought but i doubt a corps would test their show five years in advance. Such as 2009 vanguard