World Class or Open Class?

AZFan

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong category but i wanted to get some insight to my dilemma.

I really am torn between two corps, Academy and SCV Cadets. (I turn 19 this summer, so i'm still eligible for SCVC)

I love SCV, and i want to march there once i get more experience under my belt, and i figured that SCV Cadets would be the ideal place to get this experience (because if i'm not mistaken they use the same style is the WC SCV.)

The Academy is closer and in world class, and i know people there, but i'm pretty sure that after a season i'm going to transfer, and i don't know if it would be fair to the staff at Academy to invest time and effort into me if I'm just going to change programs.

Any help?

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong category but i wanted to get some insight to my dilemma.

I really am torn between two corps, Academy and SCV Cadets. (I turn 19 this summer, so i'm still eligible for SCVC)

I love SCV, and i want to march there once i get more experience under my belt, and i figured that SCV Cadets would be the ideal place to get this experience (because if i'm not mistaken they use the same style is the WC SCV.)

The Academy is closer and in world class, and i know people there, but i'm pretty sure that after a season i'm going to transfer, and i don't know if it would be fair to the staff at Academy to invest time and effort into me if I'm just going to change programs.

Any help?

I don't see such a huge dilemma. You'd be leaving a hole after this year, whether you march SCVC or Academy. If you want to save your WC experience for SCV then, you could march SCVC this year. However, that has no bearing as to whether you ever make SCV. Even though they are in the same organization, there is no automatic promotion. You will have to earn your spot whether you march SCVC or not.

Now, marching SCVC has some advantages, you will get to "be a known quantity" in the organization and most likely, regardless of instrument, you'd have some spot in the corps. Maybe on bass drum instead of snare, maybe in the front ensemble, but you'd have a spot...especially if you are horns or guard. But, again, there is no guarantee of an eventual spot with SCV no matter if you march SCV or Academy.

Academy is closer. And you most likely will get your WC experience faster. But, there's no guarantee you make Academy either. Depending on your section, there might not be a spot based on how many vets return. In either case, it will depend on your talent and determination.

Also, I have no idea what the tuition is for any of these corps, so that's a factor as well. Also, the flights back and forth to Santa Clara can add up too. It's a heck of a long car trip to fit into a weekend. So logistics could be an issue.

Here's a thought...tryout for Academy...see how well you do. be upfront with them. Tell them what your trying to decide. If their staff is worth a salt, they will hear you and offer their advice. So, let's pretend you could make either Academy or SCVC this year.

1. Either one of them would be happy to have you, even if it's only for one year.

2. You'll gain important experience no matter which corps you choose.

3. There's never a guarantee you'll ever march SCV, no matter where you march before.

4. Consider cost, logisitics and the fit for you as a musician and performer. If you have talent and determination, either SCVC or Academy will be happy to have you on board, even if it's only for one year.

One other thought...you could just try out for SCV now and see what happens. Both the other corps would most likely take you if you didn't make SCV.

If you want to march SCV, SCVC would ideally be the best place to get your start.

It could help, but not necessarily, experience is experience in some eyes, SCVC might use the same techniques used in SCV but Academy might strive to have a higher eye for precision.

A little more information about me:

I play mellophone, and i am a french horn player (which i know is what SCV prefers)

From the impression i've gotten from reading through SCV's site, i believe SCVC will be cheaper (because they aren't on tour for as long) than Academy (which i know is $2375, plus more).

I auditioned for Academy last year, and i was accepted, but I wasn't able to go through with between money issues and other commitments during the summer.

Maybe i'm assuming incorrectly, but isn't the purpose of SCVC to build up younger members to one day fill the spots of SCV?

As far as auditioning for SCV, i feel like as a musician, i'm up to the level which they require, i think i could get in playing wise. Marching wise, i'm nowhere near as strong, and i don't think i would be accepted because of it.

Istill get confused when I see World Class. To me Open Class is still the big boys.

Go to the Academy. It sounds like your heart is set on World Class someday, so why not make it today? After the 2010 season, you'll either end up falling in love with Academy and stay there for the rest of your drum corps career, or you don't and move on, leaving a hole for another up and coming student to have the same great experience in 2011.

However, it sounds like you have a dream corps in mind (I'm guessing SCV), so the first place you should audition is at that corps. Even if you don't make it, you'll gain valuable feedback for future years. And a lot of the time, you'll make it further with that corps than you thought.

Edited by ouooga

Definitely audition for SCV. I learned a hard lesson after being invited to Garfield after the 1986 season. I was only 15 at the time and thought I could never make it. Truth be told, the only thing keeping me from making (any) top 12 corps ... was my head and my belief in myself.

If you make it past the audition and show improvement (both musically and visually) between camps, odds are you'll get a spot. It might not be a mello spot in the end .. but you'll still be marching SCV and have the chance to march mello in your last 2 years. Either way, you're in the corps you want and you're getting the experience of a lifetime, even if it's not on mello.

Let's say you make it a couple of camps and then get cut. So what? Academy should still have spots open. If they don't, and you did well enough at SCV, I'm sure they will ask you to fill a spot in SCVC.

I tend to look at the scenario from the top down. Go for what you want the most. If that doesn't work out, go for option 2. In my mind, Academy is clearly option 2 for a few reasons.

1) It's a full tour in World Class. That experience proves you have tour legs and chops in future auditions - which is INVALUABLE!!!

2) It's a full tour in World Class closer to home. Honestly, I've never done a half tour in my life, so I don't get it. I still feel a full tour is worth the extra money.

3) Academy has a shot at making top 12..... with your help. If you have the chops to make SCV but not the legs ... Academy will make sure your legs and feet are in great shape for the future no matter where you choose to march. That's why you pay to play (for the teaching and experience).

4) Academy has proven every year (sans 1) that they have a top notch staff and show design capable of busting up the ranks. If you approach the experience with the mindset of making finals decisively and not as a stepping stone to SCV .... you'll have a much better experience and be far stronger for the effort.

Option 3 is to march SCVC. A wonderful corps, staff and organization. A proven top notch educational experience and if you're a top dog in the corps .... the A corps will know all about you and be chomping at the bit to move you up. Please keep in mind that SCVC is technically a feeder corps, but that's not it's true purpose (at least IMO). It's true purpose is to offer the JR. drum corps experience to those who are less talented, don't have the money, have to take drivers training or are good but probably will never make it up to the A corps. It's about the ride, the family, the love of drum corps and providing that experience to those who want it.

Please don't take any of what I said as a kick in the teeth to SCVC. They're a ###### drum corps!!!!! You'd learn a ton from them should you go there ... but it's not the ideal situation if you're minding the travel expenses and strive to push yourself harder by marching a full tour.

Best of luck, and no matter what ....... MARCH SOMEWHERE. Even if it's filling a spot at Crossmen or Teal Sound or the Racine Scouts. Whatever you do, don't sit home next summer ..... IOW don't suck.

Edited by supersop