Privacy in Corps? Or lack thereof?

:huh2: ok, I'll take your word for it, i think to start out, I might try getting up earlier than others

I know... seems creepy. But if you do march, no matter what DCI corps it shall be, there is always naked time.

And trust me, weird as it seems, you grow to love that time spent with your fellow corps members.

Some of my best memories from DCI, actually pertain to naked time. :tongue:

Just remember these guys aren't looking at you for a date, if you have some fun with it, they will too. :tongue:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me mate... You lose any modesty you may have very quickly! I would drop trou anywhere anytime by the time I aged out. My personal favorite place to change after a show was in the parking lot next to the bus because there was simply more room.

Been there, done that.

Additionally, to the original poster, you will learn to get over it when you have one of those showers that have 4 or 6 heads all pointing out in a different direction and you have to face 3 to 5 other people at a time while showering. Although, I never really cared for those.

I think the most important thing regarding the shower is to MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SHOWER SHOES (flip flops, sandal of some type, etc.). Every year there are a couple people who march that go barefoot into every shower across the nation the whole season, and it's completely disgusting (to me).

Clogged drains, hair, gross standing water, etc. are all things I never liked the idea of stepping in barefoot, so shower shoes were totally clutch. I remember we stayed at some school in Texas in maybe 07 where there were a ####load of very large dead roaches in the shower, and drainage didn't exist, so a couple brainiacs dragged a bunch of chairs into the shower to make a pathway to the one or two haggard cold shower heads, rather than stand in the foot of ###### bug water.

Ah, memories.. drum corps showers.. very fun bonding time, but there are some really miserable showers in these public schools out there.

Oh, and you'll have less of a chance of slipping and busting your ### if you have shower shoes. So yeah, shower shoes = get 'em.

Edited by Eddie
word filtration - ee

I understand the apprehension, but the good thing is that everyone does it. And it's not like being naked is something you can mess up. Just hold your breath and do it . . . you'll quickly realize it isn't a big deal.

Or you could just not shower. That's the best way to guarantee privacy in a drum corps . . . no one will come near you! :tongue:

Ha ha! I've been doing this for so long now it's hard to remember that I felt that way back when I was just starting out. Nowadays, I get a good laugh each season on the first "away weekend" when all the younger folks in the corps (all-age) wear their swimsuits into the showers or try to wait till everyone else leaves before they head in. I wind up telling them the same things folks are saying on here. It's just a shower, after all, and the sooner you get comfortable just doing what you need to do, the easier of a time you'll have adjusting to the other pressures of competitive drum corps. And wouldn't you know it, by the end of their first season, most all the noobs have it figured out too.

Or you could just not shower. That's the best way to guarantee privacy in a drum corps . . . no one will come near you! :tongue:

sorry dude, not gonna happen, I'd rather shower consistently during the season than be smelled from 15 miles away

I don't even think "getting up earlier than other people" is a viable option on tour... it might be for camps, but not tour. The only time I showered on tour was during EPL (when you are leaving a housing site), and in the evenings when we were staying at that school over night. My corps had a rule that you had to shower before getting in uniform, and I'm sure other corps have this rule also. No one ever showers in the morning.

Sometimes the showers only work if someone in admin turns on the water.

BTW, if you're worried about privacy, drum corps might not be for you. Sure you'll have your moments, but you eat sleep and shower with your corps mates 24/7. You forget all about it after a while. It's not a big deal at all. You have plenty of time for privacy when you get home and sleep in a real bed for three days straight.

Full disclosure here....i didnt shower at my first camp or two (yea, gross, i know). Once i decided to stick with this thing though, I realized I was going to have to get used to it. Once you see other naked dudes walking around talking to eachother, it gets easier to let it go.

Funny story....a few years after I marched, I was on a trip with my college band at a bowl game. They were nice enough to provide the band showers after the game at the hockey area nearby in the locker rooms. There was an open room with 15 shower heads, and ONE private shower booth. The two of use that marched corps, and maybe 3 other people hopped right in the community shower....everyone else waited in line for the single. There were over 250 people in that band :tongue: