Just when you think DCI can't #### you off anymore...

Greetings:

I'm one of those that have marched that doesn't understand how marching band and what is currently called drum corps are different... really. I'd appreciate you or anyone else articulating the difference. I'm specifically looking for how a novice or seasoned spectator should be able to distinguish a difference between the two, after they have observed each on the field during a performance.

It would also be nice if someone could break it down in a bullet point type comparison. Again, I'm looking for how to tell the difference between the two from a performance spectator's observations.

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help me get it. :thumbup:

Im sure plenty will attempt to oblige you on this, however I will not. For me, having marched both, its quite obvious how the two are different from an experience perspective, and thats what the article is about.....auditioning for a drum corps. If you want to go ahead and start the band vs corps debate, fine by me, but that horse has already begun to decompose....

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get offended either because todays drum corps really is marching band. :tongue:

"Drum and Bugle Corps" died the day they allowed Bb instruments !!! :thumbup:

Now.... it's just drum corps or glorified marching band. :poke:

Interesting, because while I do joke about it sometimes, I definitely didn't march in a glorified marching band for two years.

I think drum corps died when they added backwards marching, in like, 1947. So all you people marched in marching band.

See what I did there?

I don't get offended either because todays drum corps really is marching band. :tongue:

"Drum and Bugle Corps" died the day they allowed Bb instruments !!! :thumbup:

Now.... it's just drum corps or glorified marching band. :poke:

Then shouldn't your signature be congratulating The Blue Devils A & B bands?

Anyways, my grandpa always told me that drum corps died when they started marching on football fields, which is totally bando.

Real drum corps only do parades and parade-style competitions.

Edited by Rifuarian