Suncoast charts...

And another thing! :worthy:

FWIW ... I still think the 83 opener is the sweetest thing I've ever heard in drum corps. Flat out insanity .. and I would love to hear a slightly updated version of this chart but still maintain the purity of sound that Suncoast achieved. It's just flat out STUPID GOOD!

Edited by supersop

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And another thing! :worthy:

FWIW ... I still think the 83 opener is the sweetest thing I've ever heard in drum corps. Flat out insanity .. and I would love to hear a slightly updated version of this chart but still maintain the purity of sound that Suncoast achieved. It's just flat out STUPID GOOD!

Agreed. Quite possibly their most underrated chart ever. Sick stuff, lots and LOTS of notes and exposure. There was a reason that they came in 5th in Prelims that year. Put a helluva scare into Madison, I am sure.

Agreed. Quite possibly their most underrated chart ever. Sick stuff, lots and LOTS of notes and exposure. There was a reason that they came in 5th in Prelims that year. Put a helluva scare into Madison, I am sure.

The soprano feature alone.....yeesh!

OK, Thanks for reminding me how much I miss Suncoast Sound. :worthy:

1988 Suncoast

IMO, a true revolutionary show as far as storytelling that can't be overlooked was 88 Suncoast. You had to experience it to really feel it. That show was WAAAAY ahead of it's time.

I've said it before on other threads: 2005 Cadets would not have been possible without Marc Sylvester and Karl Lowe and company trying a similiar thing 17 years earlier with Suncoast. (surreal fantasy, girl running around on the field taking us through the show's "story") Robert W. Smith's music and Karl Lowe's program design of "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child". I don't think the activity had seen much of anything quite like that show and what it was attempting to be. It was nothing like what everyone else was doing that year, IMO. And probably more than a few years ahead of it's time. It took a few live viewings for me to "get it" - but in the end, that show haunted me. If I had a time machine, I think THAT show would be my one choice from all four years that I marched (87-90) to go back and experience again. (with 87 SCV and Garfield being very close runners up. They didn't represent the same fundamental change or evolution of the activity, IMO. I just loved those shows.)

And I know this is a music thread but I can't say enough about the amazing colorguard from 88 Suncoast Sound. One of the finest examples of selling a show I've ever witnessed from the stands. Even if you didn't quite understand what was happening (for me, the first couple of times I saw it) they made you feel the intensity of what they were doing - and how seriously they took it as individuals.

1985 Suncoast

Whenever somebody makes a statement on a thread on here that "All this original -written for drum corps- music is just boring and is killing drum corps and the music side of shows by leaving us with too many shows that are musically forgettable" --- I always immediately think of 85 Suncoast and how Fantastic and Memorable the music that Robert W. Smith wrote was.

(It's not about original music. It's about the music that is actually written by the composer. And about what seems to be an approach of "all impact and no substance" ... that has evolved today. :worthy: )

"Midnight in Miami" - Definitely on my list of hottest closers (and hornlines) ever. :worthy: