Are we getting ripped off on the Finals DVD's

People are complaining about the lack of special features once seen on the DVDs. No one is complaining about the quality... -> You can read what is included on the DVDs at http://store.dci.org. <- That is how you are supposed to know what is on the DVDs before you buy them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't make any sense to me... How is it with the advancements in technology over the last 10 year that it would be MORE expensive to produce the DVD's? ....

It is called inflation.

The original post was comparing the 2000 DVD to the 2009 DVD. That is a ten year period. While the technology piece of the DVD production process has undoubtedly gone down over those 10 years, all of the rest of the costs have likely gone up during the same time period. (See post #34 for a more complete breakdown of costs.)

Actually, the cost of producing DVDs has gown DOWN significantly in the past 10 years. The cost of DVD authoring software and the computers to do the work on has come down ten-fold. I am a professional graphic designer and animator, so I can tell you with some authority that the cost simply has not gone up.

My guess is that there isn't as much interest in buying physical media as there was ten years ago. People like their ipods - they like purchasing media digitally. No need to pay shipping, and no wait times for delivery.

I have never purchased a DCI DVD because of the steep price. I can stomach the CD prices - I've purchased the CDs every years since 1995. If DCI lowered the price of their DVDs to ther $30-$50 range, I would bite. My guess is that I'm not alone on the price issue.

You are not allowing for one simple scenario: the cost of producing that feature rich DVD has gone up considerably in the 10 years since they first started producing them.

So, if that is true, DCI has to react to those facts and make a business decision. It is a multiple choice question:

a. stop producing the DVD becuase you cannot make any money at it.

b. take out cost by taking out some of the (less popular) features. But - at the same time, if it isn't too expensive, try to add in a few new things such as wide-screen.

c. raise the $99 price significantly (perhaps $129 - $149 range) to cover the increased production costs and hope to sell the same volume of product.

It is obvious that DCI chose b.

Would you rather they chose a. or c.?

I have never purchased a DCI DVD because of the steep price. If DCI lowered the price of their DVDs to ther $30-$50 range, I would bite. My guess is that I'm not alone on the price issue.

I'm 100% with you on this one. I also think that with the Fan Network streaming of shows, it's easy for subscribers to think 'why drop $100 on Top 12 DVD's with no options when I can pay $60 for Fan Network, see every Finalist corps from 74-on whenever I want, PLUS stream current season competitions live.' That's what I do, as the price is a bit cheaper and WAY more of a bargain IMO. I know the quality isn't great, but I'm willing to sacrifice quality for the price difference and expanded "features" of the Fan Network vs. the single year DVD's.

Actually, the cost of producing DVDs has gown DOWN significantly in the past 10 years. The cost of DVD authoring software and the computers to do the work on has come down ten-fold. I am a professional graphic designer and animator, so I can tell you with some authority that the cost simply has not gone up.

You are correct. One aspect of making a DVD has gone down - the cost of software and hardware.

(That is assuming that one needs to buy new software or hardware each year and can take advantage of any price reduction from last year that the new software may offer.)

However, the total amount spent on all the other costs associated with making a DVD (such as the salary of the person who runs that authoring software - plus all those guys running cameras and sound - plus music licensing - plus travel costs - plus ...) has gone up over the last ten years.

Agreed! I forgot to mention that I have subscribed to the fan network since its inception. I subscribe for the live streaming and VOD of shows. Great feature!

My next wish for DCI is a 1080p Blu-ray production of finals. Pack it in with a DVD version as well, and I would probably pay $100 for it.

I'm 100% with you on this one. I also think that with the Fan Network streaming of shows, it's easy for subscribers to think 'why drop $100 on Top 12 DVD's with no options when I can pay $60 for Fan Network, see every Finalist corps from 74-on whenever I want, PLUS stream current season competitions live.' That's what I do, as the price is a bit cheaper and WAY more of a bargain IMO. I know the quality isn't great, but I'm willing to sacrifice quality for the price difference and expanded "features" of the Fan Network vs. the single year DVD's.