A letter to Open Class Corps folks

There's what, three or possibly four new Open Class corps that need to get evaluated and approved? FORTE, Platinum, and City Sound? What if past members to Memphis Sound still owe dues? I know one for a fact that may still owe dues from two seasons ago when he marched.

It took Capital Regiment until I think March or April to get posted on DCI.org to announce that the corps was going to be active again in Open Class. To me, as long as Forte doesn't have anything going on that none of us knows about, then they should be fine. But only the directors and insiders know what all the process includes so I can't say anything definite. Good Luck to all the new corps! Two corps inactive and one not going to finals, three new ones to come up! Have a great season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are incorrect my young friend. WC does run DCI. 6 of the 9 board of directors members are directors of WC corps. There are 3 at-large members, but I don't think since at-large members were added to the board has any of these seats been occupied by an OC director. I believe most at-large members have been professional business people.

I know that. At least two of them have corps in Open Class. Oh wait, those are the two corps in OC I said would never go away! I wonder why I said that...lol.

Forte is a new corps. The original plan was to move Memphis Sound to TX, but that plan changed over the course of the 2009 season when many things were revealed. MYPAA is restructuring and may bring Memphis Sound out in the future as a DCI or DCA corps.

Forte is going to carry on the traditions of Memphis Sound, since that's where the idea for the corps first started.

Some staff and members from Memphis Sound are with Forte, but so are corps members and staff from several other locations, just like any new corps.

Forte's business model is completely different from Memphis Sound

Thanks, interesting that Music City shares the same location as DCA corps Music City Legend (MCL). Wonder if MCL has a policy of not accepting under 21s like the West Coast corps do. Or if MCL accpts minors who do not want to do the tour thing. (Have no idea what any DCA corps charges in dues.)

On that (age limitation) and the other post of tour fees (wow!)... Kilties all-age is basically age 14 and up. Dues are $300. Weekends only. While a DCA corps, Kilties will also compete at two DCI shows this summer (Rockford and Madison). We have a rapidly-growing segment of HS/College-age members, so in recent years the average age has plummeted.

The corps is debt-free with money in the bank. How many corps can say they are fully-equipped, new or mostly new instruments, and don't owe a dime?

Clearly a quality option for youth that can't afford summer tour dues, or want to march AND work a summer job/internship on weekdays.

Edited by dannyboy

On that (age limitation) and the other post of tour fees (wow!)... Kilties all-age is basically age 14 and up. Dues are $300. Weekends only. While a DCA corps, Kilties will also compete at two DCI shows this summer (Rockford and Madison). We have a rapidly-growing segment of HS/College-age members, so in recent years the average age has plummeted.

If Westshoremen hadn't opened their doors to a massive influx of under 21s back in 1974, the corps would never have made it back on the field. Not to mention winning DCA a few (OK 22 :tongue: ) years later. No disrespect to the long time marchers but having a low average age is a good sign for the future. :united:

No disrespect to the long time marchers but having a low average age is a good sign for the future. :tongue:

PR in a couple of years...

If Westshoremen hadn't opened their doors to a massive influx of under 21s back in 1974, the corps would never have made it back on the field. Not to mention winning DCA a few (OK 22 :tongue: ) years later. No disrespect to the long time marchers but having a low average age is a good sign for the future. :united:

Yep. I look around me and see an amazing diversity. Age, race, gender, orientations, political, religious, careers, education. Where else do you find, say, a small town HS kid marching all summer next to a 50-year-old software engineer, or band director, or police officer?

If they're not a 501c3 they can't compete in DCI, that's one of the requirements of participation.

All I know is that they are (were?) a part of the Centinela Valley High School District summer music program which sounds like it is administered by the school district and that they are not listed on GuideStar.

Edited by CasualFan

They might have a different business name than the one they compete under.

Let's just say, that maybe just maybe I maybe willing to start contacting community festivals around the Indiana area to sponsor an OC Drum Corps Show This would be for the 2011 Shows.

I am assuming the community and local band boosters will supply the Vols. Most local festivals are run by Vols.

What is the process?

Is there a BoD's for the OC Div.?

Does the OC Div. control it's own schedule?

Who is the contact for the OC Div.?

Dean