I&E 2010

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel this change will mean LESS performers will participate.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are, but when DCM Championships were still happening there were a lot of participants in I & E....and it was in July.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are, but when DCM Championships were still happening there were a lot of participants in I & E....and it was in July.

True. It's been awhile since I paid attention to DCM I&E numbers, but it seems to me that corps who did I&E (Phantom, Scouts, Cavaliers, etc) had more participants at DCM than DCI I&E. I could very well be wrong, but that's my recollection.

I'm curious to see what impact this change will bring, however I give props to DCI for trying something different for a situation that has worsened in recent years.

Just so you know, it's already been determined that Open Class will have a separate I & E from World Class for precisely that reason...they won't be in San Antonio.

Revolution and SCVC will be there. As that is SCVC's last show, is DCI going to let their members participate in the I&E? Also, what about Surf members? They won't be in San Antonio.

Looking at the schedule, it looks like a few corps will be traveling on I&E day.

For those of us too lazy to look up the schedule, which corps?

While DCI will probably never get 100% participation from it's World Class corps, if this change brings in more participation than the last few seasons, it will be a success. I know that the flu outbreak caused at least one corps to not participate, but over the last few years corps saw more value in practicing a full day Finals week vs. having more free time. I kind of dig DCI willing to make a radical change in order to improve a situation, and in my opinion it doesn't hurt trying it for a year to see what happens.

I feel like having the IE comp sooner will help Woodwind (and trombone and f horn players to an extent) primaries the most, since they won't have to be cross training all summer, and not having their (marching) brass chops where they could be if they weren't constantly switching between.

Granted most music majors who are non dci instrument majors are going to be trying to keep up on their primary so they aren't super far behind in the fall, but eh.

Remember...DCM I&E happened AFTER DCM finals..so all of the immediate pressure was off.

Also, if I recall..a lot of corps had a short break between the DCM and DCI season...so the kids were going to be off anyway.

I loved I&E but I thought the event was a dying tradition.

I didnt know corps kids these days had time to work on a piece with the way designers are super-programming their shows.

Just so you know, it's already been determined that Open Class will have a separate I & E from World Class for precisely that reason...they won't be in San Antonio.

Really?

So Open Class / II&III / A&A60 can no longer advance to quarterfinals to compete with the big boys, and now their members can no longer try to knock off a Cavalier or Blue Devil? :thumbup: