Acoustics at LOS

the roof has never been open for a marching event. And people who know stuff about acoustics say it won't really help much at all. The retractable portion of the roof isn't big enough, and the stadium is just too big.

Thanks. Then I guess the only solution is to write your show to take advantage of the LOS weaknesses.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Then I guess the only solution is to write your show to take advantage of the LOS weaknesses.

If haven't read any of the other threads on LOS, go read them now. Just to prepare yourself incase people reply to this.

If haven't read any of the other threads on LOS, go read them now. Just to prepare yourself incase people reply to this.

I've read them. It's the only logical thing to do at least for the corps that are trying to nudge out the last .1 of their score to win.

The roof takes twelve minutes to open or close so it could be closed if a storm pops up. With modern radar any chance of rain can be easily monitored long before it would hit.

Definitely not true. While radar is definitely much improved now days, it's definitely possible for a storm to pop up with little advance notice or warning. Earlier this year we had a storm pop up here in Wisconsin that produced a tornado less than 15 minutes after it first appeared on National Weather Service radar. You would literally have to have someone watching a live radar feed non-stop to try and react fast enough to one of these mid-summer storms that pop up out of nowhere. 12 minutes may not be enough time to get the roof closed before the rain would hit.

Definitely not true. While radar is definitely much improved now days, it's definitely possible for a storm to pop up with little advance notice or warning. Earlier this year we had a storm pop up here in Wisconsin that produced a tornado less than 15 minutes after it first appeared on National Weather Service radar. You would literally have to have someone watching a live radar feed non-stop to try and react fast enough to one of these mid-summer storms that pop up out of nowhere. 12 minutes may not be enough time to get the roof closed before the rain would hit.

You can tell if there is a chance of a storm and decide whether to leave the roof open or not. I wasn't suggesting that they hit the button and close the roof when they see something approaching. I was actually surprised that it only took twelve minutes. My initial thought was that it would be a several hour process.

Do you have a drainage system in your car with a sunroof or do you just close the sunroof?

The roof takes twelve minutes to open or close so it could be closed if a storm pops up. With modern radar any chance of rain can be easily monitored long before it would hit. Of course it would screw with the scoring and there would be all sort of controversy if they had to close between first and second place performances.

Not just that, but I keep hearing that the actual time for a roof closure is longer than 12 minutes, and that it takes several hours for the air conditioning to overcome the greenhouse effect of a midday roof closure.

but my point was (for those who might have misunderstood it) what would happen in an open stadium if rain popped up mid-finals? It would get cancelled right? Or it would just go on...i don't know. So if the roof at LOS was open from the beginning, how would this be any different from a regular stadium? There's no need to close it, just pretend it's not there. But I understand now, it would sound crappy either way :smile: i'll shut up now

During finals, it would not get cancelled-show would go on, just ask Madison about Jackson in '93. The only stoppages at past open air stadiums such as Orlando, Foxboro (aka Boston) and Denver have been when lightning was in the area. The events weren't cancelled, just delayed until the weather moved on. I don't recall if any of those delays were actually during finals or just during championship week. I know at Boston in '94 they cancelled the last half dozen corps at quarters and seeded them into semis due to rain and field conditions. Shows usually get cancelled because of rain during the season for the safety of the performers. I don't recall any continuous rainfall during DCI finals since I have been attending, but I have sat through the rain during DCA finals at Allentown and Scranton and DCA prelims (tropical storm Ernesto) at Rochester; the show indeed went on.

It has changed in recent years. Shows used to get called off only if there was lightning nearby, but go on in rain, sometimes even heavy rain as late as the 1980s. (Heck, they may have even gone on in thunderstorms in early DCI or VFW days.) Shows that would have gone on in the rain 10 years ago get called now, not only because of the electronics, but also for wet fields. If the field is wet enough to slip on with a high-velocity drill, or damage grass, they tend to call it.

This probably figured into DCI's calculations in moving Thursday-Friday-Saturday of championship week into a domed stadium. It was just a matter of time before a finals or even an entire championship got washed out, if they stayed outdoors. I'm not saying it was one of the major considerations in picking LOS, but it was likely a factor.

Unplug the #### things and let the show go on! :smile: