Drum Corps Insurance

Per the Topic Does anyone recommend or know of any National Recognized Insurance Company that

would carry the liability insurance for a corps? Or is any Company better than others?

Boy Scouts of America used to (or still does) offer insurance for corps/band group touring members (not members of the boy scouts). I remember having to sign up for it when I was marching with Summer Bands International in the mid 90's.

Boy Scouts of America used to (or still does) offer insurance for corps/band group touring members (not members of the boy scouts). I remember having to sign up for it when I was marching with Summer Bands International in the mid 90's.

BSA is pretty much the inexpensive way to go...Fairly low cost per member ($15) and the chartering fee was around the $100 mark. You'll be set up as a Venture Crew (the successor to the Explorer program...serves the same function).

Just make sure you have confirmation in writing of both insurance coverage and 501C3 status under BSA's umbrella (although I think you've got that status already)....En Garde currently exists as Venture Crew 4000 out of the San Fernando Valley, but there was one guy at the local BSA office who kept insisting BSA did NOT extend insurance or non-prof status to it's member groups and never had...even though Nightfire went that route in 96 and I've seen nothing that indicated I was wrong.

BSA is pretty much the inexpensive way to go...Fairly low cost per member ($15) and the chartering fee was around the $100 mark. You'll be set up as a Venture Crew (the successor to the Explorer program...serves the same function).

Just make sure you have confirmation in writing of both insurance coverage and 501C3 status under BSA's umbrella (although I think you've got that status already)....En Garde currently exists as Venture Crew 4000 out of the San Fernando Valley, but there was one guy at the local BSA office who kept insisting BSA did NOT extend insurance or non-prof status to it's member groups and never had...even though Nightfire went that route in 96 and I've seen nothing that indicated I was wrong.

Yes, thanks for the response. I was checking the BSA National Website and it appeared the Insurance was only available for a Charter Group using a Scouting Unit. R U saying its

best to go the local BSA office and inquire?

BTW I have been following En Garde Progress since they are in SoCal. Wishing you the Best !

Yes, thanks for the response. I was checking the BSA National Website and it appeared the Insurance was only available for a Charter Group using a Scouting Unit. R U saying its best to go the local BSA office and inquire?

Yep....I don't know who covers your area, tho. Just don't go in stating WHY you want to join BSA...they may not like it if the find out you only love them for their insurance!

BTW I have been following En Garde Progress since they are in SoCal. Wishing you the Best !

Heh....WHAT progress?? We're still on hold until the economy improves a bit...that was a big reason we didn't get the numbers in 08.

Our local HS marching band uses State Farm. The band boosters are a 501©3 and pay for the policy.

One year policy, liability only (no property) 1 million dollar umbrella policy. $400.

SoCal Dream uses The Nonprofits' Insurance Alliance of California (NIAC) is a liability insurance pool which was established in 1989 exclusively for 501©(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organizations in California...

The contact company is http://www.chapmanins.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Response.

:worthy: Im trying to work with State Farm. I told him there are other marching organizations that use

state farm. He didnt know of any. Would U mind revealing only to me the name of the band and what state they are in.

He said the price sounded about right. I think since we are in California the policy may be a little different.

Our local HS marching band uses State Farm. The band boosters are a 501©3 and pay for the policy.

One year policy, liability only (no property) 1 million dollar umbrella policy. $400.

Did you check your local Boy Scouts chapter? You just need to get the group registered as a Venturing group and have the members sign a BSA membership application form once accepted.

Other Southern California corps are covered under the Boy Scouts of America. Use the link as a jump off point.

Good luck with the corps. Sounds like a wonderful program.

Los Angeles Area Venturing Contact Number

Thanks for the Response.

:worthy: Im trying to work with State Farm. I told him there are other marching organizations that use

state farm. He didnt know of any. Would U mind revealing only to me the name of the band and what state they are in.

He said the price sounded about right. I think since we are in California the policy may be a little different.

Honestly, if you're going to go with an actual insurance company, I'd call the company Darkman referenced. Mike and I have had our differences, but I'll be the first to admit he's very strong in the realm of corps admin and the things it coves..like insuring the org.