Overall Placements for the 2000's

But shouldn't you still then take the average of each corps. To say that Pioneer is ahead of Academy or Sothwind over Blue Stars (no disrepect intended) simply because of number of appearances I think skews the spirit of the exercise a little, dontcha think?

well no I don't think so, because I believe longevity should count for something.

If a corps competes for 10 years and consistently finishes in the 12th to 17th spots, and another corps only competes for 3 years but finishes 9th, 8th, & 7th who was better during the decade? someone who only was there for 3 years or someone who was there the whole decade. Also, what if the one corps' three years were the 1st three of the decade? what if they were the last three? what if they were a flash in the pan and those three years were the middle three (ie. magic). I still think you should award longevity. If the three year corps was the last three years, then next decade they should place much higher than the other corps if history continues. In the other two instances, the three year corps is probably gone and it's a moot point going forward.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well no I don't think so, because I believe longevity should count for something.

If a corps competes for 10 years and consistently finishes in the 12th to 17th spots, and another corps only competes for 3 years but finishes 9th, 8th, & 7th who was better during the decade? someone who only was there for 3 years or someone who was there the whole decade. Also, what if the one corps' three years were the 1st three of the decade? what if they were the last three? what if they were a flash in the pan and those three years were the middle three (ie. magic). I still think you should award longevity. If the three year corps was the last three years, then next decade they should place much higher than the other corps if history continues. In the other two instances, the three year corps is probably gone and it's a moot point going forward.

Tough call -- I think I could come up with examples that support each view. I guess the best bet is to develop some sort of blended formula (maybe some sort of a weighted average based on some minimum # of appearances). I guess it all depends on what you're trying to value and then being sure that your viewing the results with that valuation in mind. I'm not dismissing longevity, but if you asked me subjectively who had a better decade between Southwind and Blue Stars, I'd have a hard time justifying Southwind just becuase they showed up more years. No offense intended -- if we're talking about the organization, not just the on-field stuff, then I might agree -- Pioneer's longevity, for example, makes them a very successful corp in the 2000's. But if were talking about on-field rankings, I'd have a hard time justifying some of your results just because of more appearances.

These kinds of things are always tough -- trying to apply cold numbers to differing criteria -- just ask the BCS !!!

Thanks for the analysis -- just offering a little tweaking advice that's all -- and again, no offense intended -- all corps should be proud of their accomplishments during the decade. Rankings are always going to make someone feel worse than they should and someone else feel better than they should -- just trying to view this with some objectivity, that's all :biggrin:

Interesting.

Adding all the scores:

BD 849

SCV 849

Cavies 789

Cadets 782

PR 774

Madison 731

Interesting.

Adding all the scores:

BD 849

SCV 849

Cavies 789

Cadets 782

PR 774

Madison 731

Yeah I've got that too.

And what's interesting is that since 1973 SCV was in first through 2008. This year was the first time anyone caught them as the top corps overall using this ranking system.

Here's through the top 30.

Blue Devils 849

Santa Clara Vanguard 849

Cavaliers 789

Garfield Cadets/ of Bergen County/ The Cadets 782

Phantom Regiment 774

Madison Scouts 731

Crossmen 505

Spirit of Atlanta/Georgia 435

Bluecoats 415

Boston Crusaders 388

Troopers 363

Blue Knights 348

Glassmen 317

Colts 283

27th Lancers 275

Carolina Crown 270

Freelancers 251

Blue Stars 238

Velvet Knights 199

Star of Indiana 187

St. Andrews Bridgemen 181

Sky Ryders 176

Magic of Orlando/The Magic 171

Suncoast Sound 148

Southwind 115

Imperials of St. Patricks/Pioneer 109

Kilties 108

DeLaSalle Oaklands/Oakland Crusaders 101

Mandarins 101

Dutch Boy 94

Edited by bluecoats88

Interesting.

Adding all the scores:

BD 849

SCV 849

Cavies 789

Cadets 782

PR 774

Madison 731

It would be interesting if we included the 60's as well in this list, since the poster above correcty said that he would assign more weighted points in his equation" for longevity".In the 60's that decade was a very good one for Cavs, Boston, Troopers, Cadets...... and a pretty good one for Scouts, Phantom, Blue Stars,( of current DCI Corps). Under this system, Cavs would move up and pass BD, SCV overall if we included the 60's as well in the overall decades calculations. ' Just thought I'd chime in on that, since points were being discussed on this thread with a calculation for " longevity ".

Edited by BRASSO

It would be interesting if we included the 60's as well in this list, since the poster above correcty said that he would assign more weighted points in his equation" for longevity".In the 60's that decade was a very good one for Cavs, Boston, Troopers, Cadets...... and a pretty good one for Scouts, Phantom, Blue Stars,( of current DCI Corps). Under this system, Cavs would move up and pass BD, SCV overall if we included the 60's as well in the overall decades calculations. ' Just thought I'd chime in on that, since points were being discussed on this thread with a calculation for " longevity ".

god thought, but I just did the DCI ERA