Road Trip Pit Stops

As a spinoff of another thread where a member describes stocking up at truck stops ("...stocking up on chrome lug nut covers..." Ha!) I thought it'd be fun to hear similar pit stop stories. Considering it's been 30 years since I marched I expect that the stories are different from the "Dinosour" age... let's see.

Describe your memories of pit stops. Good ones, bad ones, best food, best snack selection. What do you remember about getting gas?

Hope it's fun...and frightening.

Proceed

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst I'd ever seen was somewhere in Louisiana. This place had 1 toilet, and not a single thing they sold had anything on the packaging other than what it was. "Jerky" "Chips" "Sunflower Seeds". That was by far the creepiest pit stop I've ever made, with a corps or not.

The worst I'd ever seen was somewhere in Louisiana. This place had 1 toilet, and not a single thing they sold had anything on the packaging other than what it was. "Jerky" "Chips" "Sunflower Seeds". That was by far the creepiest pit stop I've ever made, with a corps or not.

I don't think that's a creepy pit stop. Even though this wasn't tour, I remember a stop in Mexico where we had to pay 3 cents for 6 pieces of toilet paper.

Anyway, back on topic....I don't remember much pit stories except all I did was wake up, get off the bus before everyone else, buy a glazed honey bun and lemon Gatorade, take a ####, board the bus, and go back to sleep.

That was a pit stop for me.

Edited by bccadet09

The worst pit stop EVER can be summed up in two words: Winnemucca, Nevada!!!

When I marched members weren't allowed to get off during the night when the busses stopped.

I remember a truck-stop in Iowa in 2007. It was like 3 in the morning or something (i really have no clue), we got off the bus just like any truck-stop. We walked in, and litereally everyone was like holy ****! It took me almost 5 min just to get to the bathroom, and the Wendy's was still serving food that late! I couldn't remember what the name of it was (I was half asleep), but a few months after tour I saw a Travel channel show (Top 10 Truck-stops) and it was the #1 truck-stop. The place is called Iowa 80. Their website is HERE.

truckstop-exterior_0.jpg

When I marched members weren't allowed to get off during the night when the busses stopped.

That reminds me of the contrasts in various corps' "philosophy" about corps members and truck stops. While, as far as I know, all corps allow members to use the facilities at a truck stop, many employ a firm "no buy" rule for members while other corps allow members to buy at pretty much every stop.

If you're going to travel with Crown as a member, you'll quickly find out that you'll have to purchase your Gatorade, honeybuns, Pringles, etc. after shows, on laundry days, and during lunch breaks on those rare occasions when the housing site is within walking distance to stores, gas stations, and quick stops.

However, if you'll be sporting Cadet maroon and gold this summer, unless Hop has changed things recently, you get to buy at EVERY truck stop.

I'm not criticizing either corps whatsoever. All corps get down the road in their own way. No corps is right or wrong in my opinion. Although when it's July and you are traveling Texas at night and it's still 92 degrees out and you'd donate a kidney for a cold Mountain Dew but can't buy, I believe I know what you might think about no buy stops. However, I guess the downside of that is, while you're gulping the last drop of Dew, Crown may be getting ready for some floor time.

Edited by BeachDrums

My favorite tour stop was in 2005 when we stopped at the truckstop Willie Nelson owns in Texas. It was just cool.

At my first rest stop on tour ever as a member in 2002 I stepped in a puddle of axle grease in the dark and fell down. We were parked in a dark corner. That was not cool.

I don't think the buy time at rest stops did much to our schedule. It took about 2 hours to run the vehicles through the pumps anyway. I'd be lost without my travel sized hygene products to replace the ones I lost at the last school. At a minimum nail clippers and other things that you forgot to pack when you rushed out the door for tour. It's not like the average member was a trust fund type back then. After the first couple of stops everyone was pretty much broke anyway. And we always lost 2 hours (pre- garmin) finding the housing site. And another 2 hours waiting for someone to open the doors. Relative to the extra 30 minutes at a stop, inconsequential.

As far as stops, we always swung by great america, somewhere in the northern midwest and bought $0.25 icecream. We always stopped at the salt flats. Beyond that a truck stop is a truck stop. And it was always the laundry days that had us in questionable neighborhoods. Not to mention some of the neighborhoods around major stadiums these days.

The worst pit stop EVER can be summed up in two words: Winnemucca, Nevada!!!

Try rehearsing there for two days....

gotta love leaving a town and seeing a sign that says....next services...177 miles.