Best use of the $1million

Best use of the $1million  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Best use of the $1 million

• Carolina Crown
    • The Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Phantom Regiment

after reading and watching the videos here: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=3...0a-88c002e0635f

who do you feel has the best proposed idea with the "winnings"?

Edited by wcmello09

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it up to the corps that win (if they win). It still sounds a bit too good to be true IMO.

Although it would be nice to see what a corps could do with a new G line of Kanstul Brass. At a minimum, those few corps still on G and that don't buy new horns, could use the hand me downs (in G). It's just not the same with new Bb Brass since the hand me downs will probably get gobbled up by a different genre of the marching arts.

Not that $1 million goes all that far these days. 3x busses + 1x set of horns and drums???

Probably one of the actual charities that are doing something other than helping upper middle class kids do summer marching band.

Not a popular opinion on DCP I'm sure, but while I am a huge drum corps fan it is a luxury whereas curing diseases or feeding the hungry are much more important.

Probably one of the actual charities that are doing something other than helping upper middle class kids do summer marching band.

Not a popular opinion on DCP I'm sure, but while I am a huge drum corps fan it is a luxury whereas curing diseases or feeding the hungry are much more important.

:tongue:

You can give the man the fish, or you can teach the man the work ethic that gets him out there working his arse off every day to catch fish, doing it better and more efficiently each time, then watching him turn around and teach OTHERS how to catch the fish.

I've been working in non-profit management or educational outreach for 20+ years, and the value of giving some low-income kids and others on the margins the chance to focus on building their personal skill in some facet of life is the gift that keeps on giving. So while curing cancer and feeding the homeless are important, you also have to develop the next generation of cancer researchers, and provide the most vulnerable members of the community the tools they'll need to provide for themselves so they don't NEED to ask for handouts.

Edited by mobrien

Though the problem would be, any kid who is marching in one of these corps has already learned work ethic to get to that level.

$1,000,000 to elite drum corps isn't going to put horns and drums in the hands of inner city kids.

I'm not so sure about that. Most kids have to beg their parents, find some type of part-time job, or aquire a sponsor to march. They might not be homeless and living under a bridge, but they're not filthy rich either.

Though the problem would be, any kid who is marching in one of these corps has already learned work ethic to get to that level.

$1,000,000 to elite drum corps isn't going to put horns and drums in the hands of inner city kids.

I don't like to bag on my favorite activity, but I do agree.

http://www.dci.org/about/index.cfm

72% of DCI World Class corps marching members are college students. 60% of those are music ed majors. 65% of HS kids in DCI intend to pursue music education in college. *Average* age in World Class is 19.4.

Mike

I'm not so sure about that. Most kids have to beg their parents, find some type of part-time job, or aquire a sponsor to march. They might not be homeless and living under a bridge, but they're not filthy rich either.

That does not change the fact that marching drum corps is a luxury.

Drum corps is great, I highly recommend it for anyone who can figure out a way to march, however not dying of leukemia or starvation are even better!

That does not change the fact that marching drum corps is a luxury.

OK I've got it. Sleeping on Gym floors and busses and rehearsing from 10 to 16 hours every day is a "luxury". Too bad you get charged for it.