Exploring the attitudes of fans on Indianapolis 2009-2018

This is good! I think that fans are starting to see that my opinion is just that, my opinion. Hopefully, many fans are also seeing that their opinion is their opinion.

It would be great if those who agree on cetain issues would "put thier heads together" and speak more as one voice than as a scattered few. Remember democracy? Everyone has a vote and has the freedom to voice it.

It truly amazes me how so many people who want their voices to be heard, want to deny others the same right. I want those who do not agree with me to express themselves. I believe that to encourage the expression of varying points of view is an exercise of the highest ideals of American democrasy!!

My suggestion to fans to send emails to DCI expressing their likes and dislike was met with a lot of anger. Some people even sent me "hate mail". Some people want me to "go away", leave the activity, and so forth.

If I choose to communicate with DCI via e-mail, I have, the last time I checked, the right to do so. So does every other drum corps fan. Why, because we live in America and we have the right to voice our opinions in a civilized manner, and when needed, to petition!

Defending your right to free speech,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I didn't even bother to read all the responses so this may not even be relevant to what's being talked about but here's why I would keep going...

1) I'll be marching at Indy the next years, leaving like two or three years to actually attend the events

2) It's a great city, at least the area around the White River State Park warm-up areas and the Oil Can

3) As much as the sound may not be great in the Oil Can, the view is pretty good from anywhere in the stands (besides the very top row which I was in for WC finals)

4) It's nice to be able to shop at the booths inside

5) Indoors

But, the food and drinks are too overpriced. The Oil Can is pretty boomy. Hotels know DCI Finals are coming and hike up the rates.

Thank you very much! Your input is appreciated!

Ron Gunn

I didn't even bother to read all the responses so this may not even be relevant to what's being talked about but here's why I would keep going...

1) I'll be marching at Indy the next years, leaving like two or three years to actually attend the events

2) It's a great city, at least the area around the White River State Park warm-up areas and the Oil Can

3) As much as the sound may not be great in the Oil Can, the view is pretty good from anywhere in the stands (besides the very top row which I was in for WC finals)

4) It's nice to be able to shop at the booths inside

5) Indoors

But, the food and drinks are too overpriced. The Oil Can is pretty boomy. Hotels know DCI Finals are coming and hike up the rates.

I don't think anyone disagrees that it's a great city, just that after a few years it gets old. The food/drinks are no more overpriced at the Can than any other professional sports stadium in the country. If you recall in 2005, it cost a small fortune just to PARK at Gillette Stadium, and their food/drink is no bargain either. As far as hotels "hiking up the rates", the rooms blocked for DCI by the hotels are actually less expensive than their rack rates or rates that you can get through Expedia, etc. We stayed at the Omni last year for about $150/night-comparable to what I paid in other Finals cities for hotels with similar amenities-and the best part is that we were within walking distance to the stadium. As for the view, it's comparable to pretty much any of the stadiums we've been to in the last several years-the sound, not so much.

I don't think anyone disagrees that it's a great city, just that after a few years it gets old. The food/drinks are no more overpriced at the Can than any other professional sports stadium in the country. If you recall in 2005, it cost a small fortune just to PARK at Gillette Stadium, and their food/drink is no bargain either. As far as hotels "hiking up the rates", the rooms blocked for DCI by the hotels are actually less expensive than their rack rates or rates that you can get through Expedia, etc. We stayed at the Omni last year for about $150/night-comparable to what I paid in other Finals cities for hotels with similar amenities-and the best part is that we were within walking distance to the stadium. As for the view, it's comparable to pretty much any of the stadiums we've been to in the last several years-the sound, not so much.

You paid $150 a night at the Omni and you think they didn't jack up prices? I stayed there a couple of years ago (got my room through Priceline) for around $50 a night and it was on the weekend.

You paid $150 a night at the Omni and you think they didn't jack up prices? I stayed there a couple of years ago (got my room through Priceline) for around $50 a night and it was on the weekend.

IIRC, the rack rate for the room we were in was close to $200/night. Priceline can get you good deals-provided there is nothing locally happening for those dates. My experience with Indy the last two years has been that if you try to book the dates prior to the link showing up on the DCI website for the blocked rooms, nearly all of the downtown hotels will show no availability for those dates. Of those that do, the prices are so ridiculously high that nobody with any common sense would book a room unless they were unfortunate enough to have to travel those dates and had nothing to do with drum corps. After the link for blocked rooms shows up, availability loosens a bit on some of the other sites, but it's still at prices that are higher than the DCI rate.

On the subject of Indy Hotels. Does anyone know of a good Hotel near the Airport for under $100.00 per night? Somewhere with Queen size beds, sofa sleepers, 32" wide screen tvs, lots of cable channels, free wi-fi, great pool, Fitness room, a bar and restaurant, etc?

I found this on a Hotel website:

"Our brand new" name removed Hotel "specializes in being a traveler's "Home Away From Home". Our spacious suites feature a fully equipped kitchen, 32-inch flat screen TV with over 70 cable channels, executive desk/work area with FREE high-speed Internet access, FREE movies you can check-out from our lending library, FREE laundry facility, FREE local calls, indoor pool/hot tub, on-site fitness center, Gazebo with stainless steel grill. We are conveniently located at the Indianapolis Airport just minutes from downtown Indianapolis and local attractions. Our" name removed "Conference Center is 1500 sq. ft. and can accommodate 60 people classroom style and our Board Room can accommodate 6-8 people conference style. You are allowed to use your own caterer."

This looks like a real nice place to relax after a hard day of drum corps! Think I'll check it out!

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

"Exploring the attitudes of fans on Indianapolis 2009-2018, Why should people attend DCI Championships in Indianapolis repeatedly?"

That is the topic. I would love to read the views of some of the people who have yet to "chime in" on this topic! Please, won't you contribute to our spirited discussion?

• 2 weeks later...
bump

Don't take this wrong but my "Opinion" is that you should not start any more threads. :blink:

Don't take this wrong but my "Opinion" is that you should not start any more threads. :blink:

C'mon, lighten up. The subject validity will be proven by the responses, not based on your chiding.

My opinion is that you should stop reading his posts (and certainly stop posting to them!)