Bluecoats Camp

Since I am seeing that people are wondering why there aren't many camp reports, I figured I would make an abridged version of one for my experience at the Bluecoats camp last weekend. Here goes!

So to start, I had some plane troubles getting to camp. I was supposed to leave at around 11:00 AM Friday and arrive around 2 or 3 in Cleveland, but our flight was cancelled due to mechanical reasons. The next flight I could get was 8 am the next day. I was a little upset that I would miss the first night and morning of camp, but I'm happy they decided to not put us on a faulty plane. There were about 8 people leaving on that flight, but all of us got to camp safely within the next 20 hours or so.

But when I did finally arrive, I got to jump into the middle of a great visual block. No stretch needed :laughing: It was great to be back, I was really surprised by a few of the new members in the horn line by their individual technique levels and at how quickly they grasped concepts! I am really excited to see what they grow into in the next few months.

We have a good amount of returning members, all of whom I am very excited to see! As with every corps, there were some faces missing due to money or school, but overall I feel like we had a great retention rate for the horns! I am REALLY surprised at how well the tuba section sounded (indoors) and at how awesome our intonation was for january. I truly do feel like we are building on last year's success (yes there are things that didn't sound great on the DVD as far as Haitian Fight Song goes, but thats ok, we sounded REALLY good standing still :beer:)

The thing I am most enthused about is the work ethic of the group. In the few hours I got to spend with this set of players, I got a great vibe of "together-ness" in our goals... if that makes sense. I'm not predicting that we'll be the best thing since sliced bread, but I am saying that we are going to work hard to try and get there! The music is pretty much awesome. Again, I know that everyone says that, but I really think that our musical choices are just brilliant so far. The arranging is phenomenal, and the kids in the arc are not afraid to blow through those horns. The percussion section has more experience together than they did last year (FACT) and its easy to hear just how great they are going to be.

The musical writing is a little different than the past, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I can however say that I LOVE IT! To quote a long time volunteer, "I've never heard the hornline play so loud with such intensity in the opener. And the drumline just is rockin' to the max! I...AM...EXCITED!!! for you guys!!! Just a fantastic start! Keep up the great work ethic - members and staff! And Thanks!"

From the improvements I heard throughout this weekend, I have to say that I will once again be very proud to be a Bluecoat.

Yay something positive!

That is how a camp review should be! Thank you very much for it! :laughing:

Since I am seeing that people are wondering why there aren't many camp reports, I figured I would make an abridged version of one for my experience at the Bluecoats camp last weekend. Here goes!

So to start, I had some plane troubles getting to camp. I was supposed to leave at around 11:00 AM Friday and arrive around 2 or 3 in Cleveland, but our flight was cancelled due to mechanical reasons. The next flight I could get was 8 am the next day. I was a little upset that I would miss the first night and morning of camp, but I'm happy they decided to not put us on a faulty plane. There were about 8 people leaving on that flight, but all of us got to camp safely within the next 20 hours or so.

But when I did finally arrive, I got to jump into the middle of a great visual block. No stretch needed :laughing: It was great to be back, I was really surprised by a few of the new members in the horn line by their individual technique levels and at how quickly they grasped concepts! I am really excited to see what they grow into in the next few months.

We have a good amount of returning members, all of whom I am very excited to see! As with every corps, there were some faces missing due to money or school, but overall I feel like we had a great retention rate for the horns! I am REALLY surprised at how well the tuba section sounded (indoors) and at how awesome our intonation was for january. I truly do feel like we are building on last year's success (yes there are things that didn't sound great on the DVD as far as Haitian Fight Song goes, but thats ok, we sounded REALLY good standing still :beer:)

The thing I am most enthused about is the work ethic of the group. In the few hours I got to spend with this set of players, I got a great vibe of "together-ness" in our goals... if that makes sense. I'm not predicting that we'll be the best thing since sliced bread, but I am saying that we are going to work hard to try and get there! The music is pretty much awesome. Again, I know that everyone says that, but I really think that our musical choices are just brilliant so far. The arranging is phenomenal, and the kids in the arc are not afraid to blow through those horns. The percussion section has more experience together than they did last year (FACT) and its easy to hear just how great they are going to be.

The musical writing is a little different than the past, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I can however say that I LOVE IT! To quote a long time volunteer, "I've never heard the hornline play so loud with such intensity in the opener. And the drumline just is rockin' to the max! I...AM...EXCITED!!! for you guys!!! Just a fantastic start! Keep up the great work ethic - members and staff! And Thanks!"

From the improvements I heard throughout this weekend, I have to say that I will once again be very proud to be a Bluecoat.

I was a witness to all of this and I attest that this entire statement is 100% true!!!! Plus, this is the most kids from California in the corps ever I think. =D

Oh and the opener piece is........TBA =p gotcha

I was a witness to all of this and I attest that this entire statement is 100% true!!!! Plus, this is the most kids from California in the corps ever I think. =D

Oh and the opener piece is........TBA =p gotcha

Hype the west coast!

Bloo contras baby....always rockin'.

Buncha C.A.N.s!

hellz to the yeah.

Jason I just realized that you marched seven years of corps. Wow. And I thought five was a lot!