WV Strawberry Festival

Anyone have any info on this? I was just called up to bring my band up there...is it worth the trip? It certainly sounds like a great trip and VERY affordable.

Toronto Signals did this parade last year. It was a very hot day (until the brief thunder storm) and the parade stops a lot, but still well worth going as the crowds are huge, the town is literally in party mode with the local fair/carnival. I know we were invited back, but not sure how the band voted (to return or not). Its a long trip for us and traveling overnight is too tough on us old pharts so the alternative is taking a day off work to get there. College accomondations are sparse and "tired" (to be kind) but then again, you're only sleeping there for a few hours. Cafeteria food made up for the lack in accomondations.......awesome grub.

My personal opinion is that this parade is on a par with the Wellesboro PA parade in June. I've done that one with St Joe's a few times and its also a great fan friendly event. Buckhannon is bigger though.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it Rob... I'm really looking forward to the trip, little time of work,, and get to play drum corps too LOL..

Looks like I'll se some of you there. I am bringing my small little military academy band there.

• 3 months later...

couple days away,, look us up Keith,, we'll be the band playing G Bugles LOL

Hi Keith,

Steel City will be at the Festival this year. From what I understand it is one of the best parades anywhere. It is a TOB parade contest for the high schools that participate each year. If I'm correct Steel city will be marching in the parade but will not be judged. Instead they will do a concert following the parade. Everyone that I know who has been to this parade yell it's praises. I'd say make the trip. And hopefully maybe we'll meet up.

Sorry to see you guys pulled out.Would have liked to see you there!

From what I understand they promised one thing but reneged on the deal. But I'm not privy to all of the details.

Generally they offer assitance with housing,meals and such but not much as to travel expenses.So if you're not staying there the cost is born by the groups to travel.Its still a great parade though.

Is this a paying gig??

Not really, they offer assistance with costs,but its not enough to cover all costs.They use to offer prize money but that didn't cover the costs either and if you didn't win,you were left with a whole in your budget.They got to be doing something right though.When were last there they had groups from Europe,South America,Mexico and High School Bands from all over the country.Plus exotic animals,tons of clowns,and military groups,like the Air Force silent drill team etc. Some of those road apples were huge!

We are staying at the University for $20 a day food/$20 a day room. Better deal than staying at a hotel. We leave at 3 pm today, I feel like crap and it won't get better till I am back home.

See ya up there!